Experiences with non-techies

9 hours ago, tkitch said:

not all sites work in one browser.

At work I give people Edge, Firefox and Chrome by default.  There are still sites I have to dig out IE for.  (For those I generally make custom shortcuts for IE to launch)

Edge has basically the same compatibility as Chrome because they're both chromium based. Plus it has an integrated IE compatibility mode. It's imo the best AiO solution when it comes to browsers, especially with legacy support. My company also stopped using 3 different browsers and switched everything to Edge chromium.

image.png.7bc87caab47bc035dfc1e68d59084298.png

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Edge is one of the worst browsers of this decade and feels like a flashback to the AOL toolbar times.

You visit the chrome download page? how about no.

you want to change the default browser in windows? click, here, here, here and are you sure? I am the best browser.

Want to buy something? let try these discount code

Need some money? how about a short term loan right in your browser

I think it depends.

For corporate use? It's ridiculously good, if you use AD/Azure. It's (obviously) very integrated and our admins can set almost everything and anything through AD GPOs and Azure settings.
The IE compatibility layer is also a god-send for some customer/supplier/government webpages that just won't work with anything else but IE.

For home use? BEGONE, SPAWN OF EVIL!! ✝️

10 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Yep. Sadly, my work computer doesn't even have a SSD, and it kills me inside a little every time I use the thing. It takes me a couple of minutes to log in. Almost everyone else in my department has a pc with a nvme ssd tho. -.-

Also, why IE AND Edge? Edge was supposed to be superior to IE. I bet they use one of those old AF websites where it's like "This browser isn't Internet Explorer." Don't know if any of them are around still, but some wouldn't work if it wasn't IE being used.

There are a LOT of legacy .GOV & .DOD sites that use IE.  Don't ask me why.

7 minutes ago, Rauten said:

I think it depends.

For corporate use? It's ridiculously good, if you use AD/Azure. It's (obviously) very integrated and our admins can set almost everything and anything through AD GPOs and Azure settings.
The IE compatibility layer is also a god-send for some customer/supplier/government webpages that just won't work with anything else but IE.

For home use? BEGONE, SPAWN OF EVIL!! ✝️

I'd rather be using Netscape Navigator than IE.

3 minutes ago, IPD said:

There are a LOT of legacy .GOV & .DOD sites that use IE.  Don't ask me why.

Again, Edge has a IE compatibility layer built in.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

19 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Edge is one of the worst browsers of this decade and feels like a flashback to the AOL toolbar times.

you want to change the default browser in windows? click, here, here, here and are you sure? I am the best browser.

I think it depends where you're from. I get that they introduced a bunch of stupid stuff, but it doesn't seem to be global.

I never got an offer for their discount stuff or the loan thing they recently added.

Over the last few weeks i tried a few different browsers. Chrome, Firefox, brave, you name it. In the end i always come back to Edge because it just works best for me. Sometimes for ui design choices, sometimes for features i didn't know other browsers don't support, or other stuff. Edge is the best overall package imo.

57 minutes ago, IPD said:

I'd rather be using Netscape Navigator than IE.

I went to upgrade someone's computer once a long time ago, back when Firefox was way more popular. They were like "Make sure you put Netscape back on!" and I'm like "You'll want Firefox! It's way faster!" "No, I want Netscape!" So I changed the name from "Mozilla Firefox" to "Netscape Browser" and they called me a few days later going "Woah, this is way faster! How did you?!" 😄 

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

3 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I went to upgrade someone's computer once a long time ago, back when Firefox was way more popular. They were like "Make sure you put Netscape back on!" and I'm like "You'll want Firefox! It's way faster!" "No, I want Netscape!" So I changed the name from "Mozilla Firefox" to "Netscape Browser" and they called me a few days later going "Woah, this is way faster! How did you?!" 😄 

What’s funny about that is Mozilla Firefox is a descendant of Netscape Communicator.

4 hours ago, William Payne said:

What’s funny about that is Mozilla Firefox is a descendant of Netscape Communicator.

I feel like I should know that.  But in any event, that's probably FF has been my go-to for nearly 2 decades.

11 minutes ago, IPD said:

I feel like I should know that.  But in any event, that's probably FF has been my go-to for nearly 2 decades.

Netscape founded Mozilla. It was part of their plan to go open source to fight Microsoft’s Internet Explorer.

https://youtu.be/4Q7FTjhvZ7Y

"Don't mess around with my settings."

"I'm just updating your pc. That's it."

"Okay, just don't touch anything."

Me: "You mean like your keyboard and mouse?!"

giphy.gif

Last night in the school library, 3 people standing over a computer called me over.

"I can't figure out how to turn it on!" *pressing monitor power button and mashing keyboard*

Me: reaches behind the monitor and literally turns on the computer

Them: WOW how did you do that I've been trying for like 15 minutes? 

I did a dumb today.

Didn't realize Athlon II systems used DDR3. 

I insisted that my teacher had bought the wrong RAM after I saw what system it was going into. So he took the old stick out and showed me, and it was DDR3. I felt incredibly stupid...

My boss's office is getting used as a means to isolate people whenever he's working from home. He took his laptop and dock home, so I put one of our spare laptops and docks in there and he just hooks up his own laptop to that dock whenever he comes in to work in his office. Today, a coworker came over to me to tell me that nothing at that desk works. As soon as I got in, I saw the spare laptop sitting on another desk, completely unplugged from everything. My coworker was pressing the power button on the dock to no avail, trying to get the laptop to run, blissfully oblivious to the fact that no laptop was hooked up to it. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

On 1/20/2022 at 8:00 AM, GeorgeMKane said:

Thats pretty funny.

I dealt with Netscape fans back in the day, and the main reason they liked Netscape was its integrated email client. It was their way of getting around corporate Email monitoring.

Netscape started out cool, but its later versions were bug ridden disasters and it caused more BSODs on Windows than Netware clients.

Microsoft didn't kill Netscape. Netscape bloated their product to death and made corporate IT depts hate it. 

2 hours ago, wseaton said:

Netscape started out cool, but its later versions were bug ridden disasters and it caused more BSODs on Windows than Netware clients.

Microsoft didn't kill Netscape. Netscape bloated their product to death and made corporate IT depts hate it. 

Yes, Netscape Navigator Gold was fantastic, Netscape Communicator - not so much....

My dad was a Netscape adherent. Started with Navigator way back in the mid 90's. It did work well but I recall not all sites would work properly with it so I just stuck with IE until FireFox came out, I've been using FF since the mid 2000's I think.

Non techie friend walked away from her computer in class today to go to the bathroom so I minimized the Word window and opened a new blank doc as a simple prank. She got back, kicked the computer, and walked away thinking everything was gone (without even touching the keyboard or mouse, or looking at the document title). I told her and she thought it was pretty funny, mostly relief though. Perhaps I shouldn't do that again... 

12 hours ago, Bitter said:

My dad was a Netscape adherent. Started with Navigator way back in the mid 90's. It did work well but I recall not all sites would work properly with it so I just stuck with IE until FireFox came out, I've been using FF since the mid 2000's I think.

I only recently went back to Chrome, from FF, because Youtube loads better with Chrome for some reason. Sometimes Youtube won't load for me, if I try to use Firefox. Idk if they fixed that yet.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:42 AM, James Evens said:

Pretty much Windows as a whole right now. They're trying to add too much. Things need to be simple. 

Who asked for Cortana, the MS store, Windows 11 as a whole, and that weird Game Bar update? Game Bar used to be useful, now it's Spotify, Youtube, Xbox Live, recording functions that work 1/4 of the time, Task Manager but only Performance tab, and Control Panel sound settings but more limited. I wish they'd stop trying to cram every possible feature into a software that is totally damn fine. Oh hey, you want to open this older app such as Media Player? Here, have this popup convincing you the newer, worse, fewer function more bloated software is better even though the old one is still there and default for some file types! 

Had a friend that uses PC regularly for nearly 15 years.
Married & have a kid
Doesn't know how to reinstall windows.
Doesn't know how to do basic troubleshooting.
Can't install a pc case fan.
Cant even clean his PC by himself.
PC was in a 4ft x 5ft closed room without any proper room exhaust, and he smokes quite heavily.

The worst part? there wasn't a single screwdriver in his apartment.

1st Trip, I had to use butter knife to unscrew his case panel. Told him to atleast buy a cheap toolset around.
2nd trip, I had to bring a bag full of tools, including drill & power outlet extension cable, so that his ancient oven pc case (Imagine Abkoncore Ramesses 780) can get some air inside (refused to spend money to buy a new case with actual air holes, not even the cheap $15 one).
3rd trip.... there isn't any. I stopped responding to his "Halp my pc is in trouble"

I might've lost a friend, but I prevented my soul from dying inside.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I only recently went back to Chrome, from FF, because Youtube loads better with Chrome for some reason. Sometimes Youtube won't load for me, if I try to use Firefox. Idk if they fixed that yet.

Almost like, there's some proprietary BS that Alphabet is doing because they WANT you to use their browser?

Nah.  Of course they still believe in "do no evil"....

9 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Pretty much Windows as a whole right now. They're trying to add too much. Things need to be simple. 

Who asked for Cortana, the MS store, Windows 11 as a whole, and that weird Game Bar update? Game Bar used to be useful, now it's Spotify, Youtube, Xbox Live, recording functions that work 1/4 of the time, Task Manager but only Performance tab, and Control Panel sound settings but more limited. I wish they'd stop trying to cram every possible feature into a software that is totally damn fine. Oh hey, you want to open this older app such as Media Player? Here, have this popup convincing you the newer, worse, fewer function more bloated software is better even though the old one is still there and default for some file types! 

MS has been killing gaming slowly, bit by bit--starting with the original XBOX.  This is only a continuation of it.