Experiences with non-techies

Turning the Monitor Off and On again =/= an actual Reboot:

image.thumb.png.211ed0c9a48f1859d013c581be5ac839.png

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Friend of mine bought a Z590 board for his i7-6xxxk. (Imagine my surprise when he says "here's the new board" and pulls out an Asus Z590 ROG box, opens, then realizes the socket is like half the size of his CPU...) He's pulling parts out of his old Alienware system to move to a new board since he borked the Alienware's BIOS. Apparently he just looked up "i7 board" and bought the first thing not knowing there are lots of i7s, what like 15 years of them, that use different sockets. 

So now he's buying a 10th/11th gen CPU (I made him look at the support list). 

My camera was recording since he walked in while I was working on something else, tomorrow I might look through the footage and see if there's a clip of it

this is ridicolous, I was attending cs/telecomunication, and most of teachers were pc illiterates

now, there is a subject called internet and telecomunications, and the teacher was unable to set up a proper streaming, and when miracusly he did it, the video was on 360p, the audio inaudible

or they are idiots, or they want to force students to come at school, so they can rip off more money out of them

Set the default printer on the laptop at work today. Keyboard stops working. Freezes on restart. All fine after a power cycle but WTF.

Is this what a Brute force attack on a Network looks like ?

image.png.f6681ee79a495360079d291c98ad6a82.png

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

A fix is a fix:

image.thumb.png.331bc3b7af52d4713b39d9f48457a4c3.png

I agreed to help a friend ( an old lady) set up her new computer.

This was about 2011, and and she bought a Mac Mini to replace her 2005 ish PC. The iMac was perfect for her - internet, email and some movies/music, and nice and sweet small form factor. 

She really wasn’t a techie at all ( think white hair and bicycle with wicker basket on the front), but was pretty computer proficient, and was a laugh to be around. So I rock up with my laptop and a few cables, and HDD carrier etc, just in case we needed it, and got her set up and running on the Mac.

I then asked if she wanted to copy files across from her old computer - she didn’t know that this could be done from PC to Mac, so she went to get the old computer. She came back, staggering under the weight of a flipping monster 10-bay Core duo gaming rig!

This thing is an absolutely mahoosive behemoth, complete with RGB fans ( all 8 of them set to full speed) in this awesomely “gaming” cooler master case, with 8 drive bays, and only one drive... Remember, this was back in 2005, when Gaming rigs were less well known. At the time, this was seriously badass..

Migrating files was was easy enough, in fact, I left her with my HDD caddy, and showed her how to move stuff across, so she could have a clear out. 

When I asked why she had such a big computer, she said that the they built it specially for her!

For helping her out, she gave me this monster, and After a new HDD, and Windows 7 install ( now windows 10), it’s been a seriously reliable and capable workbench PC for over 10 years, and is only now getting a serious update as the MB and PSU has fallen over ( lightning strike on power lines). 

I’ve moved away from that area, and miss her a bit, she was a blast!

But whenever I use the computer, I always think of that white haired old lady, rocking this bad-ass huge custom built gaming rig to do send her emails about the church coffee mornings...

On 4/14/2013 at 9:09 PM, LapX said:

My mom wanted to buy some below 100$ headphones for my little sister, I know she will wan't a more beautiful than great sounding headphone. We tried some, I made my mom listen to a cheaply made 60$ Headphones saying it was shit, she took a 25$ one, thinking it was the same and was gonna buy it. I shouted at her saying that she shouldn't buy it because it was a waste of money.

Today I was at Futureshop looking for some headphones (again for my sister). I was listening to the sennheiser's momentum to try them out than a salesmen pointed me to some beats... I said to him that I would never buy them because they're shit, he walked away. (Just saying that he seems to be making a lot more money by selling me beats so he isn't interested of spending his time with me further) I loled.

Yeah, I remember handing the keys to a motorbike back to the salesman and saying “Can I have more horsepower and less bull&&&t please” - he had been found out....

A little conversation I had today...

Teacher: Oooh your pc looks good. What Cpu is it?

Me:5900x (the teacher knew what this was)

Random Student: your so dumb. Why did you get a i5. you should get the new  i12

OML. I like to look through craigslist sometimes, and I was looking through the computer parts, and saw this.

I am going to cry

fan.jpg

That's kinda the dream for people who watch the classifieds. That some granny will list her ex-husband's old guitar for $200 just to get it out of the apartment, and it'll be a priceless vintage Fender.

It doesn't happen often. Thanks to the internet its easy to find out what your stuff is worth.

25 minutes ago, COAGULOPATH said:

That's kinda the dream for people who watch the classifieds. That some granny will list her ex-husband's old guitar for $200 just to get it out of the apartment, and it'll be a priceless vintage Fender.

It doesn't happen often. Thanks to the internet its easy to find out what your stuff is worth.

lol yea but its an rx 460 so yk 🤷🏽‍♂️ def not worth the $200 😂😭

I'm too damn helpful! I should have just bought it but ehhhh a 1060 3GB for $85 isn't a super deal.

20220309_212244.jpg

4 hours ago, ColeWebber06 said:

OML. I like to look through craigslist sometimes, and I was looking through the computer parts, and saw this.

I am going to cry

fan.jpg

Merged to existing megathread. Reasons: Your title is as bad as title to that ad, your thread has little to no content to be discussed on its own, and this particular thread seems good fit as subject of your thread/post is about someone who doesn't know about tech in such detail as enthusiasts would.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My late wife, before we knew each other, gave private PC lessons, for woman and seniors. 

She told me about one Granny that has been her pupil. 

The Granny one day called her and said she wanted to build herself a new computer and if she would come with her to supervise and eventually help. So being the persoan she was she agreed happily. 

The day arrived and they both went to a pretty big IT store, a little like Microcenter but not as ginormous. 

So the old Lady stood there with her small piece of paper where all the parts she would like to have were written on. 

The salesman was quite impressed by the choices and when summing all up at the checkout he said :"Gosh I think your grandkid will be very happy for the new system!." The Lady pulled herself up and said :"Young man, this computer is for myself!" and nodded like making a point. The sales man looked impressed. 

Later she did build the system completely on her own, my wife didn't have to intervene... same with the os and driver installation. 

This all happend while dialup internet was still new, and Compuserver as well as AOL CDs were crammed into your outside mailbox ^^

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

They're my fans:

image.thumb.png.3b9b8fcc258ca208b96c02b5311e4f1b.png

I told my grandma a few days ago that I think her laptop would really benefit from a USB 3.0 ExpressCard. Lo and behold, when she brought it to me yesterday to replace the hard disk, there was an ExpressCard... with 3 gen 2 USB ports on it

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

49 minutes ago, AudiTTFan said:

I told my grandma a few days ago that I think her laptop would really benefit from a USB 3.0 ExpressCard. Lo and behold, when she brought it to me yesterday to replace the hard disk, there was an ExpressCard... with 3 gen 2 USB ports on it

I mean I'm going to give her the win on this one because grandma.

18 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I mean I'm going to give her the win on this one because grandma.

I mean, she does use the command line a lot since she was the teacher who taught students how to use the Apple II at the school where she taught back in the 80s, but hardware things like this are the confusing part for her

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about