Experiences with non-techies

20 hours ago, Bitter said:

My mom saw my 27" 16:9 and thought it was too big hahaha 'why do you need a screen so big?' I really didn't have a good answer other than it's a nice screen.

Oh. 

Spoiler

20211210_174629_HDR.jpg

I fell into the "I like to have everything open at once" trap.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

51 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Did you know those fit fucking PERFECTLY?!

Yes, someone actually posted a troubleshooting thread here where it turned out they had done that...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 1/14/2022 at 12:42 AM, Bitter said:

My mom saw my 27" 16:9 and thought it was too big hahaha 'why do you need a screen so big?' I really didn't have a good answer other than it's a nice screen.

My 55" LG CX OLED is a huge improvement as my main Display for my Desktop over the 15.6" Display my XMG Gaming Notebook has which I was using as my daily driver PC before. 

Speaking of people who don't get Tech:

In school I called the Teacher to my Desk to help me with an assignment which involved Googleing things. He was like: "Do you have your phone with you to Google things ?"

I literally had a Wikipedia article open on my HP Envy Notebook in front of me...

Like he has a stupid Microsoft Surface Tablet, smh.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

13 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

My 55" LG CX OLED is a huge improvement as my main Display for my Desktop

See I'm scared of OLED and other LED tech because I keep things for a long time and LED dimming is a real concern. I have a small music player that once had a color OLED screen, but all the blue died in it over a few years and now it's all the colors except blue. I see screen burn happen all the time in displays at businesses as well. I think maybe in another 3-5 years it'll be sorted out and ready for long term reliability. I know I'm good about not leaving screens on static images but my GF likes to leave TV on for the dogs and tends to leave things windowed for 8+ hours several days a week. I don't want to be mad at her for burning my $1000 TV screen.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

See I'm scared of OLED

Yeah I also have concerns. Because if Im going to pay $800+ for a screen it better last a long ass time. Im pretty sure Ive had my current TV at least 9 years if not longer. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

So my APUSH teacher (Mrs. Allanson) has an assistant teacher (Fred) who's essentially sitting on on her APUSH class and watching. He's also an awesome guy.

Mrs. Allanson sends Fred to make 72 copies of a lesson document on DBQs (Document-Based Questions) that's 10 pages long; 5 if double-sided. I don't know the exact details (they weren't provided) but Mrs. Allanson said that he "messed up the copying".

So about 5 minutes into class Fred goes to copy again.

10 minutes later, Mrs. Allanson gets a text that says "I messed up again". 15 minutes after that, he stumbles into class carrying an ~8-inch stack of paper, drops it onto Mrs. Allanson's desk, and proceeds to tell us what happened.

I sadly can't convey his epic storytelling style, but he had to copy the document twice.

The first time, he set it to single-sided, print every other page, with a blank page in between, and staple every ten pages.

And doesn't realize.

So the printer spits 720 pages, 360 of which are blank. Fred refills the printer twice, then realizes what happened, texts Mrs. Allanson and tries again.

This time he gets all the pages, but sets it to uncollate, and single-sided.

So the printer spits out another 720 pages.

Which are also screwed up.

So he sets the printer a third time

He gets it right, but has now been at the printer for 25 minutes and printed 2160 pages.

He brought one of each of the failed copies for demonstration and the full completed stack - I sadly don't have the picture but the full stack of all the pages he printed was easily 2 feet high.

Here's what he brought to class:

Spoiler

will put in picture when I get home in 45 minutes someone please remind me

elephants

10 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

So my APUSH teacher (Mrs. Allanson) has an assistant teacher (Fred) who's essentially sitting on on her APUSH class and watching. He's also an awesome guy.

Mrs. Allanson sends Fred to make 72 copies of a lesson document on DBQs (Document-Based Questions) that's 10 pages long; 5 if double-sided. I don't know the exact details (they weren't provided) but Mrs. Allanson said that he "messed up the copying".

10 minutes later, Mrs. Allanson gets a text that says "I messed up again". 15 minutes after that, he stumbles into class carrying an ~8-inch stack of paper, drops it onto Mrs. Allanson's desk, and proceeds to tell us what happened.

I sadly can't convey his epic storytelling style, but he had to copy the document twice.

The first time, he set it to single-sided, print every other page, with a blank page in between, and staple every ten pages.

And doesn't realize.

So the printer spits 720 pages, 360 of which are blank. Fred refills the printer twice, then realizes what happened, texts Mrs. Allanson and tries again.

He gets it right, but has now been at the printer for 25 minutes and printed 2160 pages.

He brought one of each of the failed copies for demonstration and the full completed stack - I sadly don't have the picture but the full stack of all the pages he printed was easily 2 feet high.

Hide contents

Greta Thunberg is coming for him....

21 minutes ago, IPD said:

Greta Thunberg is coming for him....

Someone commented "The Lorax is leaving his house and coming to murder you."

Side note my PoE (Principles of Engineering) teacher left her computer logged in so I did the classic "screenshot the desktop, set it as background, disable Show Desktop Icons". I wanted to fully hide the taskbar but that also hides the background.

I might set her keyboard to Dvorak too.

elephants

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

And doesn't realize.

Hide contents

Good Heavens, Just Look At The Time - Empty example | Good Heavens, Just  Look At The Time | Know Your Meme

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

On 1/18/2022 at 11:45 AM, FakeKGB said:

Okay

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Reminds me of swapping L/R buttons on mouse settings.....

I only do that in minecraft ;-;

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

*at work* "Why is my computer so slow?!"

*I walk over* "Uh... [name], you have about 20 Chrome tabs open right now."

"So?!"

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

1 minute ago, GeorgeMKane said:

*at work* "Why is my computer so slow?!"

*I walk over* "Uh... [name], you have about 20 Chrome tabs open right now."

"So?!"

I asked the IT team at school why they ordered 4c8t i7 machines with 32gb of RAM, then I saw teachers with 3 browsers, each with 2 windows and 10 tabs on each... like wtf? IE, Chrome, and Edge... just... use one? 

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I asked the IT team at school why they ordered 4c8t i7 machines with 32gb of RAM, then I saw teachers with 3 browsers, each with 2 windows and 10 tabs on each... like wtf? IE, Chrome, and Edge... just... use one? 

Yep. Sadly, my work computer doesn't even have a SSD, and it kills me inside a little every time I use the thing. It takes me a couple of minutes to log in. Almost everyone else in my department has a pc with a nvme ssd tho. -.-

Also, why IE AND Edge? Edge was supposed to be superior to IE. I bet they use one of those old AF websites where it's like "This browser isn't Internet Explorer." Don't know if any of them are around still, but some wouldn't work if it wasn't IE being used.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

3 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Yep. Sadly, my work computer doesn't even have a SSD, and it kills me inside a little every time I use the thing. It takes me a couple of minutes to log in. Almost everyone else in my department has a pc with a nvme ssd tho. -.-

Also, why IE AND Edge? Edge was supposed to be superior to IE. I bet they use one of those old AF websites where it's like "This browser isn't Internet Explorer." Don't know if any of them are around still, but some wouldn't work if it wasn't IE being used.

I pick up the PCs the school throws out, I've got this terrible Celeron trash HP AIO that my Core 2 Duo e6400 beats. I have an 80gb HDD, slowest I have, and 2gb of ram in it. Consolidation of my worst parts I would not use elsewhere. It runs Ubuntu 18.04 for the sole purpose of testing HDDs. I rarely shut it down because it takes a good 10 mins to go from off to desktop. 

7 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

not all sites work in one browser.

At work I give people Edge, Firefox and Chrome by default.  There are still sites I have to dig out IE for.  (For those I generally make custom shortcuts for IE to launch)

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

not all sites work in one browser.

At work I give people Edge, Firefox and Chrome by default.  There are still sites I have to dig out IE for.  (For those I generally make custom shortcuts for IE to launch)

But Edge (new edge) and Chrome confuse me. IE I get. If it was Chrome/Edge, Firefox, and IE that makes sense but Edge and Chrome are literally reskins of the same lines of code. 

6 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Wow. 10 tabs in 2 windows isn't that much. I have had calls and emails that pcs are slow and they have at least 60 tabs in each of there 3 chrome windows.

7 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

But Edge (new edge) and Chrome confuse me. IE I get. If it was Chrome/Edge, Firefox, and IE that makes sense but Edge and Chrome are literally reskins of the same lines of code. 

Due to the nature of my work, I need to be logged in to Office365 on 3 separate accounts.

So I use Edge, Edge Canary and Chrome at the same time.

🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Rauten said:

Due to the nature of my work, I need to be logged in to Office365 on 3 separate accounts.

So I use Edge, Edge Canary and Chrome at the same time.

🤷‍♂️

Why not just use 3 different Chrome profiles?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.