Experiences with non-techies

4 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Yesterday during robotics I did the "tape a piece of paper over the mouse sensor" trick for a random assortment of mice.

I come back today (I have a class in the same room 2nd period, there's a class here 1st period) and every single mouse I affected is still taped over. People just moved a desk over.

Can you log into the school wifi with more than one device at the same time? If yes, are you familiar with bonding connections? I guess Win 10 can do this natively. Plug in a couple extra dongles and just start bonding wifi connections until desired bandwidth is achieved.

Just now, Bitter said:

Can you log into the school wifi with more than one device at the same time? If yes, are you familiar with bonding connections? I guess Win 10 can do this natively. Plug in a couple extra dongles and just start bonding wifi connections until desired bandwidth is achieved.

Yes, and I have a few WiFi dongles (though my MBP only has 2 ports), though that doesn't solve the problem of their isrg-root-x1 certificate being expired and they haven't renewed it for those connections. It's renewed on the one for school-issued device, but that uses LEAP security which I barely understand.

elephants

5 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Yesterday during robotics I did the "tape a piece of paper over the mouse sensor" trick for a random assortment of mice.

I come back today (I have a class in the same room 2nd period, there's a class here 1st period) and every single mouse I affected is still taped over. People just moved a desk over.

Like putting tape over someone's Integrated Circuit Chip on their CAC card....

15 minutes ago, IPD said:

Like putting tape over someone's Integrated Circuit Chip on their CAC card....

Hey, watch the dirty language!

17 hours ago, Bitter said:

hones in school!? Jeeze when I was in school that was grounds for getting suspended!

Phones in SChool?

Jeeze, when I was in school, phones weren't even invented yet 😛

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

Just now, Sprawlie said:

Not even landlines?? 

Damn you must be pretty old!!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Not even landlines?? 

Damn you must be pretty old!!

well sure. But I never talked on my landline. That was for playing Doom with my friend.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

3 minutes ago, Sprawlie said:

Phones in SChool?

Ok Alexander Gram Bell.

Just now, Sprawlie said:

well sure. But I never talked on my landline. That was for playing Doom with my friend.

Anyone else still have landlines?? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Ok Alexander Gram Bell.

Ya know, I took for granted that today when we talk about "phones" we generally refer to Cellular phones. I could have been more specific in my post 😛 I am not that ancient.

But no, I didn't have a cell phone as a highschool kid in the 90s

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

My grandparents do, and I want to get one along with dialup.

Why dialup? So I can make my dad laugh when he hears about it, and so I can get those juicy 56K speeds on my iMac G5 and Power Mac G4.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

My grandparents do, and I want to get one along with dialup.

Why dialup? So I can make my dad laugh when he hears about it, and so I can get those juicy 56K speeds on my iMac G5 and Power Mac G4.

My parents still have one. 

Oh jeesh, I think I faintly remember dialup when I was little before we actually got cable. 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Oh jeesh, I think I faintly remember dialup when I was little before we actually got cable. 

My dad likes to put it "It's nice that you like playing with this old stuff. I look at it and go 'Oh yeah, that was a time in my life.'"

elephants

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I think I faintly remember dialup when I

We never had Dialup, my mom refused. So we didnt have internet until Cable internet was available. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

We never had Dialup, my mom refused. So we didnt have internet until Cable internet was available. 

I believe we had dialup when we had Dish network for satellite TV. Then we finally got cable. There were rumors around our town that FIOS was coming in but it only appears to be installed in new subdivisions where more homes were being built. Then yet, we called once or spoke with a family friend who is employed by Verizon and they basically said, "Yeah, that's not going to be happening". 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

My school still has dialup, IT dept keeps  it for some reason even though everything on campus is Ethernet or Wifi capable

Have you used it yet?

elephants

17 hours ago, Bitter said:

Phones in school!? Jeeze when I was in school that was grounds for getting suspended! Your phone was to be kept in your locker and only used outside of regular school hours...if you even had one.

When I went to school it was around the time the old guard was very much starting to relent on cell phone/technology bans in school. I remember we could bring our laptops to school beginning either my sophomore or junior year of high school, then senior year we were allowed to carry our cell phones around and use them between classes.

Enforcement of these rules (among other things) are what causec me to have a healthy(?) disdain for authority.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

This thread has rolled over into the opposite of itself...

image.png.ac66925e61faba5c550693b03aa3aa0e.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Last time was 2015 when I was living overseas and it came bundled with the DSL I had.  It had the fringe benefit of free calls to the USA.

13 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Depends on your definition?

If you mean a physical phone tied to a cable in my house, then yes. I do, and a lot of people here (Spain) do because it comes bundled as part of broadband packages for many companies.

If you mean a phone still using the old copper telephony systems, then no. Every "home" phone nowadays active here has to go through the router, be it fiber optics, coaxial or ADSL.

Never had a landline of my own, in the past 20 years.

My current internet subscription has a line that comes with it but I've never connected a phone to it. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

lol i still have a landline. no phone is plugged into it. But it was cheaper for my internet/cable package to get a bundle with alandline

They had a discount if I got a landline ($6.99), ji got 25% off my total bill ($-25.99)