Experiences with non-techies

19 minutes ago, IPD said:

Still don't think someone who is tech illiterate should have the benefit of using tech (games, etc), but anyways....

Just get a $500 POS from last generation, and tell him up front that you will be ghosting it every 6 months or less.  Nothing will be saved.  Nothing will be permanent.  All the data will be wiped.  And if he wants things to be "saved", then by god he's gonna have to learn to use stuff.

OR I buy a Chromebook and never have to touch it. Cause I literally never touched his Chromebook he has had for 5+ years. The only reason we want to replace it is due to the face its no longer getting security updates and for the fact that I might be able to get him something with Android App support. All my dad wants is Solitaire and simple games like that. Plus Chromebook's are a lot cheaper than a Windows Machine (Or at least a Windows machine that will run well). 

OR we buy and iPad and its literally the exact same interface as he has on his iPhone and he knows how to use that pretty well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, IPD said:

yeah, apps for the tablet are probably the way to go

If it runs actual Linux. And no Android doesn't count.

As long as PCs and Internet been around, shouldn't the Common Man know the basics of Computing? 

5 hours ago, whm1974 said:

If it runs actual Linux. And no Android doesn't count.

As long as PCs and Internet been around, shouldn't the Common Man know the basics of Computing? 

Up til recently he never needed a computer. He works as a tool and die maker, no computer needed. None of his hobbies revolves around tech. He did all banking at the bank, anything purchased online is thru my Amazon account. He didn’t have a smart phone till like 6 years ago. He manages pretty ok in iOS and ChromeOS. Windows is just too advanced for him. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Up til recently he never needed a computer. He works as a tool and die maker, no computer needed. None of his hobbies revolves around tech. He did all banking at the bank, anything purchased online is thru my Amazon account. He didn’t have a smart phone till like 6 years ago. He manages pretty ok in iOS and ChromeOS. Windows is just too advanced for him. 

Windows is to advanced for Him??? I recently informed a lady old enough to be my mother that just because she is old doesn't mean she learn new things.

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Windows is to advanced for Him??? I recently informed a lady old enough to be my mother that just because she is old doesn't mean she learn new things.

He doesnt want to learn. I dont want to have to fix it every 10 seconds. Why does he need Windows if iOS and ChromeOS does what he needs? Windows also runs like shit on the priced machines he would purchase anyway. 

Are you going to have a stroke if I told you he didnt have a Facebook account till like a year ago or even less? He doesn't see the value in tech, he's old school, nothing wrong with that. He can do shit I cant do, I cant build shit, I cant add and divide fractions in my head. I cant look at a bolt and have an idea what size it is. I can barely use a drill. We all have our skills, his is not tech and mine is not being mechanically inclined. 

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

FB account is not the hallmark of tech savvy.  It's practically antithetical to it at this point.

You missed the point. He doesn't look at tech and thinks he needs it. His job doesnt use it. He had almost no reason to need a computer. He has to use one now due to Medicare and Social Security and all of that being online. But he doesnt do banking online, he doesnt purchase stuff online unless its me doing the purchasing, and he doesnt make money with the computer. All he needs is basic access, ChromeOS gives that, without the extra bullshit that Windows provides. 

Saying he needs a Windows computer is utter stupidity. Saying he should have basic skills is also utter stupidity. I know a lot of people who can barely use a computer, hell some of them are in their 30s like me. Not everyone sees the benefit of a computer running a full desktop OS. I know people who only use their phones and thats all they know. I work with a guy in his late 60s early 70s and has no clue how to use one, he can barely use his phone. When he needs access to Paycom (how we take time off at work) or needs access to other things he comes to me and I help him figure it out, he also pays me in Venison so there is that. 

56 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You missed the point. He doesn't look at tech and thinks he needs it. His job doesnt use it. He had almost no reason to need a computer. He has to use one now due to Medicare and Social Security and all of that being online. But he doesnt do banking online, he doesnt purchase stuff online unless its me doing the purchasing, and he doesnt make money with the computer. All he needs is basic access, ChromeOS gives that, without the extra bullshit that Windows provides. 

Saying he needs a Windows computer is utter stupidity. Saying he should have basic skills is also utter stupidity. I know a lot of people who can barely use a computer, hell some of them are in their 30s like me. Not everyone sees the benefit of a computer running a full desktop OS. I know people who only use their phones and thats all they know. I work with a guy in his late 60s early 70s and has no clue how to use one, he can barely use his phone. When he needs access to Paycom (how we take time off at work) or needs access to other things he comes to me and I help him figure it out, he also pays me in Venison so there is that. 

I should point out that I highly doubt that anyone here proclaiming he needs to have a Windows PC and know how to use one proficiently likely are unable to produce their own tools and dies, so how will they ever be able to say they have any ability to use anything with threads? If you aren't proficient with tool and die making you shouldn't be allowed to use nuts and bolts at all, it's really just bad if you're that age and can't do that.

That's what you all sound like. Not everyone is, will be, or needs to be proficient in 'windows pc use' or any other skill. I'm sure there's plenty of things that @whm1974 and @IPD use a version of regularly that's a simplified equivalent of a more advanced device and would be lost using the more advanced version of. It's like saying you're not allowed to drive a car unless you learned to drive a 1923 Dusenberg because that's the basis of the modern car and if you can't operate that how on earth can you claim to know how to drive a 2012 Honda Accord.

19 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Today my dad pulled out his Chromebook. He doesn't use it often, to be honest its no longer supported by Google. But he just checks his email and does some surfing. Today he asks about installing games. He thought the machine ran Windows. My dad it ignorant when its comes to tech. Thats the reason he has a Chromebook because I dont want to fix his computer every other week. Funny enough we were talking about buying him a new computer for his retirement gift. So I might do some research on what Chromebook's run Android apps, and see about getting one of those so he can install a few simple games like Solitaire. OR I might look in to getting him a iPad with a keyboard. 

There are games on both, but I think you can add a microSD card to most chromebooks, so you can have more storage for games. If you're trying to make sure games run flawlessly, then go for the ipad (more storage option) with keyboard, yeah.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

2 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

There are games on both, but I think you can add a microSD card to most chromebooks, so you can have more storage for games. If you're trying to make sure games run flawlessly, then go for the ipad (more storage option) with keyboard, yeah.

That only applies to ones you can install Android Apps on . His is like the first gen ones. They dont run Android Apps. 

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

I should point out that I highly doubt that anyone here proclaiming he needs to have a Windows PC and know how to use one proficiently likely are unable to produce their own tools and dies, so how will they ever be able to say they have any ability to use anything with threads? If you aren't proficient with tool and die making you shouldn't be allowed to use nuts and bolts at all, it's really just bad if you're that age and can't do that.

That's what you all sound like. Not everyone is, will be, or needs to be proficient in 'windows pc use' or any other skill. I'm sure there's plenty of things that @whm1974 and @IPD use a version of regularly that's a simplified equivalent of a more advanced device and would be lost using the more advanced version of. It's like saying you're not allowed to drive a car unless you learned to drive a 1923 Dusenberg because that's the basis of the modern car and if you can't operate that how on earth can you claim to know how to drive a 2012 Honda Accord.

Do not follow your logic at all.  If he needs a car to get from A to B, then learn to use a car to get from A to B.  If you don't need to use a car to get from A to B, then don't own one, and nobody will care if you learn to use one.

Nobody cares if you use a desktop PC and windows.  It's the litmus test of "do you need this to get along?"  If you can do all your banking on your phone; more power to you.  If you can handle all your retirement funds and investments with face to face talks to your broker--go for it.

Medicare & SS are online?  Well I guess if you care about medicare & SS, you'd better freaking learn.

My relatives: Don’t have a clue they have online accounts

My mom: don’t know how to search stuff herself 

My brother: calls SoundCloud Spotify premium with ads

My cousin: Doesn’t know what a usbc port is

My dad: can use tech

Me: Senior year in high school planning to major in computer science 

Showed my friend my black and white 3rd monitor, he told one of his friends, who asked me if I could "take a screenshot of games on it and send it to me"

He didn't mean a picture of the screen, he meant windows+prtscrn. I guess he was thinking that the computer would recognize the EDID information that's totally sent over analogue and know the monitor was black and white so convert everything sent to it to monochrome/greyscale? 

On 12/13/2021 at 8:30 AM, Mel0nMan said:

When you ask someone to attach a GPU-Z log and instead of just attaching the text file they copy and paste the whole thing into their post

Lucky they didn't go outside and take a picture of a log.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Lucky they didn't go outside and take a picture of a log.

Or specifically, a graphics card on top of a log. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Or specifically, a graphics card on top of a log. 

Me: "Graphics cards don't grow on trees, they're valuable in this market."
Them, with 300 IQ: a graphics card on top of a log.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

3 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Me: "Graphics cards don't grow on trees, they're valuable in this market."
Them, with 300 IQ: a graphics card on top of a log.

Hey! You never know how inexperienced some people are with tech. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I saw someone opposite me on the train the other day using the bottom chunk of their laptop, next to the trackpad, as a plate to put their cheese sandwich on. I bet their keyboard is absolutely full of crumbs!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I saw someone opposite me on the train the other day using the bottom chunk of their laptop, next to the trackpad, as a plate to put their cheese sandwich on. I bet their keyboard is absolutely full of crumbs!

I bet some of the keys don't work right.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

I bet some of the keys don't work right.

It actually looked like a couple of the key caps had fallen off and you could see the little rubber domes underneath

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It actually looked like a couple of the key caps had fallen off and you could see the little rubber domes underneath

Reminds me of this slider phone I have, I intend to disassemble it and clean the keyboard because there's just so much grime under some keys they won't even register