Experiences with non-techies

1 minute ago, IPD said:

MS has been killing gaming slowly, bit by bit--starting with the original XBOX.  This is only a continuation of it.

Actually the Xbox was intended to kill PC gaming. Microsoft only envisioned PC's to be used for office work. But us pesky PC gamers just kept trucking on. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Poinkachu said:

Had a friend that uses PC regularly for nearly 15 years.
Married & have a kid
Doesn't know how to reinstall windows.
Doesn't know how to do basic troubleshooting.
Can't install a pc case fan.
Cant even clean his PC by himself.
PC was in a 4ft x 5ft closed room without any proper room exhaust, and he smokes quite heavily.

The worst part? there wasn't a single screwdriver in his apartment.

1st Trip, I had to use butter knife to unscrew his case panel. Told him to atleast buy a cheap toolset around.
2nd trip, I had to bring a bag full of tools, including drill & power outlet extension cable, so that his ancient oven pc case (Imagine Abkoncore Ramesses 780) can get some air inside.
3rd trip.... there isn't any. I stopped responding to his "Halp my pc is in trouble"

I might've lost a friend, but I prevented my soul from dying inside.

Don't feel bad.  These are the same people who bring their vehicle into a repair shop because "it's acting funny"--only for the repair tech to find that there hasn't been an oil change in 60,000 miles and the valve cover is hiding something the consistency of molasses.  And then when you tell them that the squealing means their brakes need changed, and that tires are supposed to have tread and not cords showing--they drive off without having either addressed.

Yesterday:

*user picks up laptop backpack*

U: "Oh, nice backpack!"

M: Yeah, it's for a laptop.

U: "But it looks like a backpack?"

M:  "It is a backpack, but it's made to hold a laptop."

U:  "What's a laptop?"

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Yesterday:

*user picks up laptop backpack*

U: "Oh, nice backpack!"

M: Yeah, it's for a laptop.

U: "But it looks like a backpack?"

M:  "It is a backpack, but it's made to hold a laptop."

U:  "What's a laptop?"

They...they had to be joking.. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

no. it cant possibly be true..

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

I was joking around with a magnet last night, pretending to hold it up to things it shouldn't have touched with a friend. He didn't know what would happen and thought I was just being ridiculous so he takes the magnet and holds it up to my CRT monitor... quite startled to say the least. It's one that demagnitizes the screen when it's turned on, so it was fine but that had to be an interesting learning experience. 

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

I was joking around with a magnet last night, pretending to hold it up to things it shouldn't have touched with a friend. He didn't know what would happen and thought I was just being ridiculous so he takes the magnet and holds it up to my CRT monitor... quite startled to say the least. It's one that demagnitizes the screen when it's turned on, so it was fine but that had to be an interesting learning experience. 

HOLYWTFBBQ IS DEGAUSS!!!???!!!

8 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Trinitron degauss and color return are the best things.

Accidentally discovered the feature after leaving an unshielded speaker too close to it, getting a weird green corner, then it magically becoming fixed.

Color return tho, amazing feature. After sitting in storage the monitors always go yellow. Let it warm up for like 20 minutes then hit it from a sub menu and BOOM color is returned. It's like putting on glasses for the first time.

28 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Color return tho, amazing feature. After sitting in storage the monitors always go yellow. Let it warm up for like 20 minutes then hit it from a sub menu and BOOM color is returned. It's like putting on glasses for the first time.

Ooh wow... mine doesn't have that. Sounds great.

Mine just has degauss and manual color adjustment controls. Panicked when I picked it up and plugged it in for the first time, it had an alarming blue tint, turns out the VGA port of the PC it was on was damaged. 

7 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

So, in my line of work we regularly use giant magnets to run experiments (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectrometers -- they're the same machines, fundamentally, as MRI scanners in hospitals). When I was first trained to use one in college, the facility manager demonstrated how his phone's screen stops working when he puts it close to the magnet, and starts working again when he takes it out of the field.

It's common practice for people to take any metallic object they have on their person out of their pockets before getting near the spectrometer, but I've never done this. Magnetic fields following an inverse cube law means that the strength of the magnetic field drops through the floor even when you're reasonably close to the magnet.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

1 minute ago, CT854 said:

So, in my line of work we regularly use giant magnets to run experiments (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectrometers -- they're the same machines, fundamentally, as MRI scanners in hospitals). When I was first trained to use one in college, the facility manager demonstrated how his phone's screen stops working when he puts it close to the magnet, and starts working again when he takes it out of the field.

It's common practice for people to take any magnetic object they have on their person out of their pockets before getting near the spectrometer, but I've never done this. Magnetic fields following an inverse cube law means that the strength of the magnetic field drops through the floor even when you're reasonably close to the magnet.

Let's hope no one is walking around with floppies. 

Reminds me of when I was in like 2nd grade and was playing around with a huge neodynium magnet from a shaker flashlight near my dad's wallet. Next day his (non-chip) Visa didn't work, funny! Wonder how that happened, wasn't my fault...

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Reminds me of when I was in like 2nd grade and was playing around with a huge neodynium magnet from a shaker flashlight near my dad's wallet. Next day his (non-chip) Visa didn't work, funny! Wonder how that happened, wasn't my fault...

Funnily enough, he also mentioned that bank/credit cards work after being put next to the spectrometer, but gift cards don't.

Weird guy. I liked him.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

1 minute ago, CT854 said:

Funnily enough, he also mentioned that bank/credit cards work after being put next to the spectrometer, but gift cards don't.

Weird guy. I liked him.

I guess bank cards are made with much sturdier magnetic fields (not the right way to say it but you get the point) than gift cards, as the former contains much more important info. 

3 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Ooh wow... mine doesn't have that. Sounds great.

Mine just has degauss and manual color adjustment controls. Panicked when I picked it up and plugged it in for the first time, it had an alarming blue tint, turns out the VGA port of the PC it was on was damaged. 

It's buried behind a few menus, both of mine have it. One I think Dell branded and the other IBM branded, but the same menu on both and everything else the same except minor cosmetic differences...and the IBM has a 2nd input with a switch on it so that's handy.

https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/threads/color-return-feature-on-sony-dell-trinitron-monitors.72839/

Maybe yours is an older model than mine are and doesn't have the fancy micro-processor controls or whatever.

14 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's buried behind a few menus, both of mine have it. One I think Dell branded and the other IBM branded, but the same menu on both and everything else the same except minor cosmetic differences...and the IBM has a 2nd input with a switch on it so that's handy.

https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/threads/color-return-feature-on-sony-dell-trinitron-monitors.72839/

Maybe yours is an older model than mine are and doesn't have the fancy micro-processor controls or whatever.

"recently" on an article from '07 is too new, mine's from the mid 90s. Nothing digital about its controls, it doesn't have menus or anything. Just nearly 20 buttons. 

This wasn't recent, but some time ago I decided to venture into the LTT Discord and saw that some guy had said "A 2070 Super is about equivalent to a 3070".

Me and a few other people say "no, here's a bunch of benchmarks to prove you're wrong" but he doesn't give up. He keeps arguing and when we finally back him into a corner, he says:
"I didn't say I believed it."

elephants

Using the SD Card slot as a vending Machine:

image.png.74ad53080133709b925f1b3982a99104.png

(As found on r/Infuriating)

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Part non-techie, part general idiot.

So I have health class this year.

And my teacher

NEVER
MOVES
THE
FREAKING
MOUSE
OFF
OF
THE
YOUTUBE
THING
EVER

IT HAS BEEN A MONTH NOW
AND SHE STILL DOESN'T

ONE OF US ALWAYS HAS TO MOVE IT

EVERY SINGLE TIME

Like how

Does she watch YouTube like that? She is in her 50's but she clearly knows how to use a computer.

So for our first summative (assignment that influences grade) we had to pick one of our favorite songs and then analyze influences in the lyrics.

I listen to a total of two (2) songs with lyrics.

BIG SHOT, by Toby Fox, and Last Song - Ending Version, by ryo (supercell).

I chose BIG SHOT since I listen to it more and I grab the generally accepted lyrics off the Internet (if you've listened to it, you know that it's quite garbled).

What I end up putting on the sheet:

Spoiler

Please, Mike, answer the phone

I can't wait 'till you're all alone
It pulls the strings and makes them ring

Until your heart can't stop breaking up!
Please, Mike, answer the phone
I can't wait 'till you're all alone

It pulls the strings, it pulls the strings

Now tell me what you're really selling! 

And I mention on the sheet "The lyrics are quite garbled and this is the general consensus as to what they say. We're (the Deltarune community) not entirely sure.

And this is what she says in response:

What is Deltarune - a video game??

Can barely hear them... Is this a bad joke??
I suggest you redo it with a song with clearer lyrics.

Lady.

You have Google.

Look something up once in your life. If you Google "Deltarune" it says "Video game" on the sidebar.

IT'S NOT HARD.

elephants