Experiences with non-techies

I just "fixed" my friend's WiFi. I had installed a rock solid internet set up at her old place, and told her to just plug everything in the same at the new place, and to leave the AP unobstructed. She did exactly that, but the connection was so slow in the new place that she had trouble using it for facebook.

While they waited for the internet to be activated at the new place they used the neighbors WiFi.

I'm Glad to say the network I provided was functioning properly in all corners of the house. Now that all of their devices aren't using another house's signal, its much faster.

4 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Recently met a guy who said that "people with 780s or older aren't true gamers".

Dang, guess I'm not a true gamer.

Unless my Quadro P620 counts?

elephants

17 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Recently met a guy who said that "people with 780s or older aren't true gamers". He also couldn't understand why people used dedicated compute cards like Teslas or bought professional graphics cards like Quadros, since they weren't intended for gaming, and adamantly refused to believe that the GPU wasn't created just for games. 

Wow glad my 980 is a generation into the safe zone but my 670 in my second system... ouch, must be a terrible card...

On 12/16/2021 at 10:41 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

It actually looked like a couple of the key caps had fallen off and you could see the little rubber domes underneath

Had to fix that for our old secretary that ate lunch over her keyboard.  Dumped out a 2nd meals worth of crumbs and dried food bits and routinely had stuck keys or keys that would not press. What a disaster! And everytime complete shock.

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Recently met a guy who said that "people with 780s or older aren't true gamers". He also couldn't understand why people used dedicated compute cards like Teslas or bought professional graphics cards like Quadros, since they weren't intended for gaming, and adamantly refused to believe that the GPU wasn't created just for games. 

Tech elitism strikes again.

I sense a massive level of insecurity and ignorance masquerading as this weird projective behavior he's displaying.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

5 hours ago, Schnoz said:

What is this kid?  14?

39 minutes ago, IPD said:

What is this kid?  14?

As the representative of the 14 year old gang, I reject this person as part of our group. He is too dumb even for us. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

43 minutes ago, IPD said:

What is this kid?  14?

3 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

As the representative of the 14 year old gang, I reject this person as part of our group. He is too dumb even for us. 

I second. 

9 minutes ago, Caroline said:

who said he's a kid? could be one of those rancid neckbeard RTX fanboys that look down on anyone who doesn't has a 3090 and play shitty battle royale games

All 3 battle royales I have don't max out my 980 SC lol what a waste of a 3090

6 hours ago, Schnoz said:

You are describing a close friend of mine lol. He lives for high fps, and refuses to judge any system by anything but gaming performance.

"If 'this' is better at gaming, then it is also better at everything else" (almost word-for-word quote)

Just now, Schnoz said:

Try and have him explain why Nvidia Teslas and AMD Radeon Instinct cards exist then lol.

He's probably going to give some lame vague answer like "oh they're for scientists and they can't game so those pcs suck"

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Try and have him explain why Nvidia Teslas and AMD Radeon Instinct cards exist then lol.

Oh, you are so naive... It is called "marketing" - big companies milking people with fancy model names. I mean, look - 'but can it run crysis' benchmark reveals that those are overpriced moneygrab products!

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

He's probably going to give some lame vague answer like "oh they're for scientists and they can't game so those pcs suck"

Well maybe not that bad... but he does cringe me out periodically with similar stuff... or when he updates his/ families PCs, that also includes Windows-is-the-only-way-of-life mantra.

I remember back when around 2016, I still working in my mother-in-law's uncle (hmm...) shop, lots of people had to find me to fix their device, since I work in the only shop in my area.

There's a customer, around 25 years old, come and tell his new built PC can't boot and it say "No boot device". I instantly know what happen, so I come that guy's house to see the PC. Yes, the "No boot device" is true. So I came and check the boot drive....................

He... buy a USB-SATA converter and then he plug a Windows 7 USB to it. And even more worse, that's USB is a fake one with inside is just an LED, 22K resistor, some cap and a blinking circuit.

So I give him a free 1TBGB HDD and installed windows 10 for him since he said use it for only watching movies. I don't regret that since I get that HDD for free when I win PC build challenge.

I find the "What did you do when it crashed?" - "well nothing" ... 

So you do nothing with your computer and it crashes... 

No I did something... 

So what did you do?

Nothing!

And then the paniky clicking away error messages without reading...

Many problems explain them selves as soon as one uses this early learned skill called reading... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

On the topic of "old GPUs suck" my dad didn't realize there used to be only i3, i5, and i7 before what like 7th gen so he kept asking why I only got an i7-4790 for my Linux system when I "could've gotten a better i9" refusing to believe that i9s didn't used to exist. Same with the Quadro k620 I put in it, kepler based, basically a GTX 650. He kept saying there were newer GPUs out there even though this is a quite capable card and still gives the GT 1030 DDR3 and Vega iGPUs a run for their money for literally $35.

On 12/20/2021 at 12:53 PM, Schnoz said:

Sound like a lot of people in this forum actually. Nothing exists outside of the gaming world.

15 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Sound like a lot of people in this forum actually. Nothing exists outside of the gaming world.

Yup, some people don't even know of the existence of some of AMD's server/workstation products. Most people know Xeon, Tesla, Radeon Instinct but many people don't know Epyc, Radeon Pro, older Opteron... 

I often suggest the Quadro k620 as a good replacement for older iGPUs, I use it myself in computers I upgrade and sell that are on the higher end side, but I've had people say nO bUt ItS a QuAdRo ItS nOt FoR gAmInG but for $35 it matches the GT 1030, iris XE, and Vega APUs as this benchmark shows (not a real link)

3 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Yeah, but even if you feel that way, it's telling to put your line in the sand arbitrarily at the 700 series.

I was PC gaming HL1 on a Hercules card BITD; which I can pretty much guarantee is a piece of hardware older than the originator of the "true gamers" comment.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad was the slowest texter of all time but a few years before he died he comes home deciding he was going to build a computer (his workmate was big into computers). He never had much money so he only built ones with used parts but when he died at the age of 69 the amount of computer stuff he had could have filled a small room. 

So in my DE (Digital Electronics) class on the first day of school, the computer at my seat (Dell Precision 3430) is broken. When turned on it doesn't boot Windows like the rest do - it says something about attempting IPv4 boot, once that times out after ~5 minutes it switches to IPv6, then after that times out gives three options:
F1 - Enter setup (BIOS)
F2 - Restart system

F5 - Launch system diagnostics

I hit F5 and it starts diagnostics.

10 seconds in it fails on "finding boot device". Which I knew, but thanks Dell.

Except it also beeps very loudly and angrily in the middle of a lecture.

"In this class we'll be learning the basics of AOI logic- BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEP"

I shut it off and my teacher files a HelpDesk ticket for the IT guys to come check it out.

But. They. Don't. Come.

Ever.

It's now the second day of second semester and that computer is still broken. I moved my seat one over and stole its monitor, because it's very useful for MultiSim + PLTW.

When I dropped off my security report on the first day of the second-to-last week of first semester (where I scored the Quadro P620 and Samsung PM871b from a computer they couldn't fix in exchange for me seeing what else I can find, I'm tackling WiFi next) I asked them to come check it out and they said "Yeah we'll come over".

Surprise! They didn't.

I might just drop it in front of them when I report my findings on their WiFi.

elephants

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

So in my DE (Digital Electronics) class on the first day of school, the computer at my seat (Dell Precision 3430) is broken. When turned on it doesn't boot Windows like the rest do - it says something about attempting IPv4 boot, once that times out after ~5 minutes it switches to IPv6, then after that times out gives three options:
F1 - Enter setup (BIOS)
F2 - Restart system

F5 - Launch system diagnostics

I hit F5 and it starts diagnostics.

10 seconds in it fails on "finding boot device". Which I knew, but thanks Dell.

Except it also beeps very loudly and angrily in the middle of a lecture.

"In this class we'll be learning the basics of AOI logic- BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEP"

I shut it off and my teacher files a HelpDesk ticket for the IT guys to come check it out.

But. They. Don't. Come.

Ever.

It's now the second day of second semester and that computer is still broken. I moved my seat one over and stole its monitor, because it's very useful for MultiSim + PLTW.

When I dropped off my security report on the first day of the second-to-last week of first semester (where I scored the Quadro P620 and Samsung PM871b from a computer they couldn't fix in exchange for me seeing what else I can find, I'm tackling WiFi next) I asked them to come check it out and they said "Yeah we'll come over".

Surprise! They didn't.

I might just drop it in front of them when I report my findings on their WiFi.

I would assume they boot from a network and have a centralized server. If you can open it up check to see if it even has a HDD, or just make sure the Ethernet cable is plugged in lol, its IP config prolly got messed with

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I would assume they boot from a network and have a centralized server. If you can open it up check to see if it even has a HDD, or just make sure the Ethernet cable is plugged in lol, its IP config prolly got messed with

I know they have SSDs - I opened it up once and saw one. I assume it's a PM871b like the one that they gave me; I didn't look too closely.

Yes, I double-checked network connections. Since my MBP has an Ethernet port I'm going to use the now-free port on the wall to wire my MBP to the fast internet instead of struggling with isp-guest which runs at 5 bps.

elephants

*at work*

"OMG! Why is your computer so slow?"

"It's got a hard drive in it!"

"So?!"

"You have a solid state drive in yours!"

"I don't know what that means!"

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

7 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

*at work*

"OMG! Why is your computer so slow?"

"It's got a hard drive in it!"

"So?!"

"You have a solid state drive in yours!"

"I don't know what that means!"

You'd think that by now, people would have started cluing in to SSD's becoming mainstream.  But there's always those yokels who still ask about blinker fluid for their turn signals.