Experiences with non-techies

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Good to know. Current card works fine, so why upgrade?

However, it doesn't support:

- OpenGL 1.0
- DirectX 8

- Resizable BAR
- SLI

- Raytracing

- HDMI 2.1

- DisplayPort 2.0

As such, you're limited to using it as a display adapter. It has 8 Mini-DP ports that support 1080p60 though meaning it's great for giant video walls. MSRP is $17. 

elephants

I think the worst experiences I've seen/had with non techies has been on the Steam Community forums. (which i avoid)

Its unfortunately the front line forum for most games nowadays, and its just flooded with people who seemingly treat / think of their PC as a console. By which i mean they have no idea about PC tech hardware/software and how to troubleshoot.

The worst part is the people giving advice also dont seem to have clue based on what i've seen. I've tried a few times in the past to step in and correct obvious misinformation only to be effectively shouted out by everyone in the discussion as if I were trolling with incorrect info.

Really is a piss poor place for tech advice.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Just had one. My mom was complaining that her games dont load on her phone. Mind you this is a 3 year old LG Q7+. Firstly Android phones after 3 years are iffy (My personal experience anyway). I cleared the cache to see if that made a difference and booted in to safe mode. Still runs like crap. The phone is about as responsive as a baked potato. She was like " I want to get another 2 years out of the device". I was like Good Luck with that. Before someone say FDR the device. I suggested that to her. Her response was "I dont remember all my passwords".  SMH. 

She told me not to buy her a new phone. BUT I have a feeling that she might get one for her Birthday or Christmas. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Just had one. My mom was complaining that her games dont load on her phone. Mind you this is a 3 year old LG Q7+. Firstly Android phones after 3 years are iffy (My personal experience anyway). I cleared the cache to see if that made a difference and booted in to safe mode. Still runs like crap. The phone is about as responsive as a baked potato. She was like " I want to get another 2 years out of the device". I was like Good Luck with that. Before someone say FDR the device. I suggested that to her. Her response was "I dont remember all my passwords".  SMH. 

She told me not to buy her a new phone. BUT I have a feeling that she might get one for her Birthday or Christmas. 

Normies and their passwords.

3 minutes ago, MysticLTT said:

Normies and their passwords.

Well most of them she has written down in a book. Same with my dad. I would show them a password manager, but frankly I think an old school solution is the best for them. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I used an iphone 4s until March and it crashed out of the messages app when a text longer than around 200 characters was sent or received.

17 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Before someone say FDR the device. I suggested that to her. Her response was "I dont remember all my passwords".  SMH. 

I'm not quite sure how Franklin Delano Roosevelt could help with this anyway, considering he's been dead almost 80 years.

But assuming FDR = factory data reset, or something along those lines - even if you forget the password you can still do that from the recovery menu. Power down the device then hold the power and volume up (maybe down, you'll have to look it up for your specific model) button. That's got me out of a few messes in the past where I thought I'd effectively bricked the device by setting passwords and then forgetting them.

And for crying out loud, buy her an iPhone if you can afford it!

She'll get so many more years' use of of that,

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

17 hours ago, SolarNova said:

I think the worst experiences I've seen/had with non techies has been on the Steam Community forums. (which i avoid)

Its unfortunately the front line forum for most games nowadays, and its just flooded with people who seemingly treat / think of their PC as a console. By which i mean they have no idea about PC tech hardware/software and how to troubleshoot.

The worst part is the people giving advice also dont seem to have clue based on what i've seen. I've tried a few times in the past to step in and correct obvious misinformation only to be effectively shouted out by everyone in the discussion as if I were trolling with incorrect info.

Really is a piss poor place for tech advice.

The Steam forums are often a horrible place to be! The main issue can really just be summed up with two words - unreachable expectations.

Alongside the people who have zero knowledge about PC hardware yet continue to give "advice", I sometimes see people asking developers to optimise a game for a specific CPU, and then getting annoyed when it doesn't happen on request. I also see people complaining a lot that their "high end" hardware won't deliver the frame rate they want, only for them to slowly reveal that they're giving the game way too much to do, and that their machine is overloaded with rubbish, and has terrible cooling. I've seen this a lot in the new MSFS forums and the forums of a much smaller game called Stormworks. When MSFS came out last year people were expecting to run it flawlessly at 4K 144Hz on mid tier and sometimes even low tier hardware. Bearing in mind that MSFS is incredibly demanding, I got screamed at in one forum for suggesting that people tweak the in game settings to get as much out of it as possible! But no; all some people want to see is their hardware as the best, and do not want to look below max settings, even if there is no noticeable drop in quality but a massive performance gain. They live under the illusion that their i7-7700K and 1080Ti are still the best of the best, heck, some even live under the illusion that a first gen mobile i7 and a card with the Nvidia name on it are the best of the best... Some people also believe that "optimisation" is the solution to all their problems, even if their hardware barely meets the minimum specs for Windows to run.

This is a wider reaching misconception, but people also often expect lower powered mobile hardware to deliver the same experience as their desktop counterparts. People don't realise that their i7-8565U in a thin and light laptop won't give them the same performance as an i7-8700K. They also don't understand how incredibly important thermal constraints are, and don't seem to understand why a CPU or GPU will throttle and slow itself down when trapped inside a 15mm thick laptop.

People are also so, so toxic, specifically in the Stormworks forums. Often you see people (who are likely between the ages of 10 and 15, so have no idea how the world works) request extremely specific things out of the developers and complain when these things aren't instantly added. They sometimes also complain whenever the developers are active, like when a bug fix or optimisation update is pushed out, and drone on and on and on about something they think needs to be improved, that ends up being down to them not knowing how the game works, or how their PC works. They TALK IN ALL CAPS as if it gives their point merit (spoiler, it usually just invalidates what they're saying even further), and then start multiple threads and spam them about the same thing. I feel a lot of sympathy for the developers of Stormworks, as they are a small team developing a rather complex game but they get constantly bashed by an extremely demanding player base, even when they add requested features. No matter what the developers do they cannot win, as the vocal minority consistently moan and are extremely rude.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

And for crying out loud, by her an iPhone if you can afford it!

She'll get so many more years' use of of that,

That’s the plan. Probably get her the SE. 

Work at graphical design bureau with most 'design computers' be macs.

Im the 'windows computers' IT guy.

Use teamviewer to remote to home windows PC cus all them macs are ancient and slow.

Boss was dumbfounded, cus "Only macs can do design properly, right?"

Then boss wants speed like that, but not willing to pay 800 bucks for a machine. Rather spends 1600 for notebooks for everyone? WHAT????

Yeah obviously i dont work there anymore. (But then again im pretty allergic to total and complete moronic behavior, which sucks as i can do that too.)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

13 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

ut assuming FDR = factory data reset, or something along those lines - even if you forget the password you can still do that from the recovery menu.

The issue would be more "I don't remember the passwords to set up e-mail and other various accounts after the reset", not the reset itself. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Then boss wants speed like that, but not willing to pay 800 bucks for a machine. Rather spends 1600 for notebooks for everyone? WHAT????

Hah 😄 at a previous job we needed to maintain multiple virtualised Windows Server networks on our PCs, so naturally the boss man buys us all Surface Books (1st generation).  Dual core processors and almost no cooling trying to emulate 3 connected Windows servers all interacting with each other and also managing our local work on the host system as well.  Could have just gotten us each workstations plus a notebook for the same money but that wouldn't have been shiny and Microsofty enough.

When you show off your dual monitor setup and the other guy asks:

"How do you control those two with just one keyboard and mouse???"

Me: ...

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Non Techie: "There's no way to stop the macro once it starts!  I can't do any work until it's done." (has complained about it for years)

Me:  *Ctrl + Alt + Del* - Macro stops.

CPU: Ryzen 5900X | GPU: ASRock 6900XT | Drive: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 1TB (x2) | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 64GB DDR4 3600 14-15-15-35 | MB: MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Case: Fractal Design Define 7

Yes, I share it with friends, and bought this at MSRP.  I was a listmaster for several days in NY.

I was helping my grandmother save a photo someone texted to her and post it on Facebook. She didn't want me to download it to her photos. I asked why, she said "I'm almost out of photo space". I checked her storage in Settings and it was like 20% full. I told her she had plenty of space and she said she bought a "32 gb (pronounced gee-bee) phone so it can store 32 photos". And yep, I checked, she only had 32 photos in there. 

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

All it takes is one guy who either unintentionally or deliberately doesn't aim properly to break tens of thousands of dollars of server equipment.

Wanna have fun, aim for the power supply

Just now, wkdpaul said:

Linus ; HOLD MY BEER !!!!

I was about to do that

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, wkdpaul said:

Great minds think alike 😉

Yep, I rember the house days.

I just realize what I just quoted LOL.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I work in a Computer Sales and Service Center, so I have a fairly unlimited amount of non-techie experiences. One stands out from last Friday, it's not necessarily someone who is super non techie but it's someone who is asking for help doing something not necessarily hard, but in order to do some scummy crap. Had a guy call in asking if I'm a gamer and what games I play blah blah blah, never helped him before but he just acted like we were buddies right out of the gate, not in the friendly kind of way either, like the guy that's your "friend" but really all they do is fake nice and kind of be a dickhead all the time. He just had that vibe. Anyway he called asking about remapping an Xbox controller on his new gaming PC. I said yeah, you can do that in the game settings under controller. He then clarified he was trying to remap one of his buttons for use with another application while playing Call of Duty. I didn't get what he meant so I asked him to clarify, he said he uses Aimbot, but sucks with mouse and keyboard and wants to use his Xbox controller and wants the hotkey for his Aimbot and ESP to work with his controller so he can toggle it. Yeah, he didn't even pull back either he was all for telling me he was a cheater, he gave zero f**ks acted like it was no big deal... I tell him sorry and that I can't help him. He freaks, starts whining, saying "you're a business" "ill pay you", "come on bro this isn't fair." I'd like to point out this guy is for sure in his early to mid 30s. And he's now whining at me because I won't help him setup his hacks for call of duty to work with his Xbox controller. He essentially throws a tantrum and is completely oblivious to why I won't help him. I have to plainly tell him it's scummy, you're ruining the game for everyone else, I'm not comfortable and most certainly not going to help him with it. He can figure it out on his own. He tries pulling the "what if I want to remap it for something else?" card, like he didn't just explain to me that he sucks ass at a game so he cheats in it, I again tell him no and he finally gets that I am not going to help him and hangs up.

TLDR: I'm a computer technician who got asked by a grown man to help him remap buttons on his Xbox controller to work with his aimbot and esp so that it's easier for him to cheat with a controller in COD, when I told him no he threw a temper tantrum and whined to me for 5 minutes to help him. I still didn't and he got mad and called somewhere else.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Throwback to this thread, this guy drilled a hole in his 980ti because the cooler mount didn't fit...

980ti Darwin Awards: Help - Graphics Cards - Linus Tech Tips

Then when it didn't work, snapped the card in half...