Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

Well I can't blame him, I used to think the same thing, and maybe yu could teach him one day

I've tried...

Today he comes in and I try to explain to him why plugging in his Chromebook to my monitors won't work.

Me: "Want to know why plugging in your Chromebook to my monitors won't let you use my new graphics card?"
Him: "Sure!"
Me: "So the graphics card sends the picture data over this HDMI cable. If you plug in your Chromebook to my monitors my graphics card isn't controlling the display, your Chromebook is."
Him: "What if I plug my Chromebook into your graphics card then?"

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

I've tried...

Today he comes in and I try to explain to him why plugging in his Chromebook to my monitors won't work.

Me: "Want to know why plugging in your Chromebook to my monitors won't let you use my new graphics card?"
Him: "Sure!"
Me: "So the graphics card sends the picture data over this HDMI cable. If you plug in your Chromebook to my monitors my graphics card isn't controlling the display, your Chromebook is."
Him: "What if I plug my Chromebook into your graphics card then?"

you might need to explain the difference between input and output

7 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

That "hard drive" is because Windows is tied heavily to its past, when HDDs weren't a thing. I mean, Windows 10 21H1 supports 3.5" floppy drives.

Perhaps they'll change it to "Storage drive" with 21H2?

Fun fact, your boot disk is C:, because A: and B: are your two 5 1/2 inch floppies. When HDDs became more popular Microsoft didn't want to confuse anyone by renaming the drive letters. So that's why your boot is assigned to C:, by default. also it's bothersome that it converts C + : to 😄 

1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Fun fact, your boot disk is C:, because A: and B: are your two 5 1/2 inch floppies.

Also, when Windows is presented with a 5.25" and a 3.5" floppy drive, it will autoset the 5.25" to A: and 3.5" to B, because 3.5" was introduced later.

elephants

6 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Me: "It's designed to make fancy pictures really fast. Smaller ones, like the one in your Chromebook can't do that."

Honestly, that's a very good explanation to a non-techie. Should make sense, but... 

A few years ago my dad bought me a RasPi 4 for Christmas which I was grateful for, however he also bought this like $30 micro HDMI to VGA adapter so I could plug it into the VGA port on my laptop and, I quote, "The cpu would be in the Raspberry Pi and it would make the laptop a Raspberry Pi". I had to explain to him that's not how it works, and that port is only a video output.

1 hour ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Honestly, that's a very good explanation to a non-techie. Should make sense, but... 

A few years ago my dad bought me a RasPi 4 for Christmas which I was grateful for, however he also bought this like $30 micro HDMI to VGA adapter so I could plug it into the VGA port on my laptop and, I quote, "The cpu would be in the Raspberry Pi and it would make the laptop a Raspberry Pi". I had to explain to him that's not how it works, and that port is only a video output

my mom got me a radio so I could have music on my laptop 🤣

1 hour ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

A few years ago my dad bought me a RasPi 4 for Christmas which I was grateful for, however he also bought this like $30 micro HDMI to VGA adapter so I could plug it into the VGA port on my laptop and, I quote, "The cpu would be in the Raspberry Pi and it would make the laptop a Raspberry Pi". I had to explain to him that's not how it works, and that port is only a video output.

atleast he knows the slots and what adapters are, in our sschool some people need help to open google

On 5/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, CrowTheRobot said:

I'm gonna call BS on that, as someone working for a school district.  Unless your district doesn't give a damn about security, in which case they're opening themselves to monster liability, I can't imagine anyone running something that possibly can't run beyond Windows 7.  Even if they managed to have a generation of Pentium 4s that can run Windows 8 (which apparently do exist) I've never seen a district have such a shoddy hardware replacement cycle.

"look at me mr Professional, my school district doesn't run windows XP professional on it's library computers that have to be connected to the internet for their catalog!"

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

"look at me mr Professional, my school district doesn't run windows XP professional on it's library computers that have to be connected to the internet for their catalog!"

No, because we believe in spending money to keep our systems up-to-date 🤷‍♂️

Even the previous district I worked at, we had exactly one system that ran Windows 7, and it was solely for streaming events to the internet.  It was kept entirely locked off on it's own network so that there was no crossover with any important systems.

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

2 minutes ago, CrowTheRobot said:

No, because we believe in spending money to keep our systems up-to-date 🤷‍♂️

we dont have those any more, we got rid of the cataloug computers last year. But all of the compouter lab computers (which arent used this year, covid) ran 7,

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

we dont have those any more, we got rid of the cataloug computers last year. But all of the compouter lab computers (which arent used this year, covid) ran 7,

To be fair, I'm sure both districts I've worked for in IT still have desktops in use that started with 7, but at the very least they made sure to get volume licensing so they could all get updated to 10 until their upgrade cycle rolled around to full replacement time.

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

17 hours ago, Cozar465 said:

Please keep adding stoires. We need to keep this alive! 🙂

Oh don't worry once I get a job in IT in a couple of years I'll overflow this Thread with Stories. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Went to check out a 5th grader's Chromebook today that has a corrupted OS and probably storage issues.  Brand new Dell that's only a few months old.  Another 5th grader immediately walks over and starts just word vomiting a bunch of technical terms he probably heard at home or something, while the actual student user talks about backing up his stuff (We don't even use anything anymore that stores files locally, so I'm not even that worried) and the second kid starts talking about FireWire and plugging in a FireWire cable to back up files.  I wanted to say "FireWire died before you were even born", but I settled for this:

Me:  FireWire hasn't been a thing in a very long time.

Kid:  But aren't these all old?

Me:  ...They were all bought this year.

(For the record, we're on a four year device replacement cycle, so even our oldest devices are crazy far removed from FireWire)

Current Personal Rig

7 hours ago, Schnoz said:

image.png.6b85a6ddf073ebf29335867990028f23.png

Somehow spending 1000-2000$ on a machine.. But spending 20$ or 60$ is unacceptable? Weird world we live in.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

4 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Hey I had doubts and I am very curious

No, the bars on your WiFi symbol are not a sign for internet speed

(at least not the only one, i guess you know what I mean)

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler