Experiences with non-techies

12 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

When people use:

*caps lock on*

-types a letter-

*caps lock off*

to capitalise the first letter of the sentence rather than the shift key

And that’s the most frustrating thing I might have ever seen 

well, over here when we want to type a capitalized Č or Š we have to use Caps Lock otherwise numbers get typed instead

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

4 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Not quite sure how the size of case they've used in the past has anything to do with a damaged pin in the CPU socket?

I guess he's trying to say he has experience with PC's? I'm not sure exactly.

elephants

It's difficult to determine, weather certain "non-techies" do realize that RAM and storage space, both referred as "memory" in my language are two very different things.

I have not started dialogues with them to specify if they understand the difference, not worth it imo.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 hour ago, RockSolid1106 said:

When people use:

*caps lock on*

-types a letter-

*caps lock off*

to capitalise the first letter of the sentence rather than the shift key

And that’s the most frustrating thing I might have ever seen 

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - Punishment

(Source: SMBC Comics)

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

1 hour ago, Red 🙂 said:

well, over here when we want to type a capitalized Č or Š we have to use Caps Lock otherwise numbers get typed instead

That.... would kill me.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

3 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

It's difficult to determine, weather certain "non-techies" do realize that RAM and storage space, both referred as "memory" in my language are two very different things.

I have not started dialogues with them to specify if they understand the difference, not worth it imo.

I got my mom to understand years ago, decades ago. Scratch pad vs finished work, short term vs long term.

3 hours ago, Red 🙂 said:

Who ever thought this was a good idea needs to be slapped around.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

30 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Who ever thought this was a good idea needs to be slapped around.

I mean, to be fair, it isn't too hard to make a custom keyboard layout and use dead keys to save space on the diacritics.

The problem is getting people to adopt that standard.

Standards

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

I was visiting my grandma in Germany and one of the neighbours asked me to take a look at their computer which was acting slow. I turned it off and on again and it worked perfectly. They gave €20 for 30 seconds of work. I tried to refuse, but they wouldn't let me leave without taking it. I felt kind of bad about it.

2 hours ago, NZgamer said:

I used to do that when I was a kid... I had no idea what the shift key did

I always accidentally hit the capslock key when playing a game then I go and type something and realize

On 7/7/2021 at 9:13 AM, wkdpaul said:

NCIS (again) ... apparently viruses can use power cords to hack other computers ...

Man, this one has so many errors past the immediately obvious... here's what jumped out at me: 

1. Brilliant... plug in the SD card, then wait 9 seconds until you decide to actually close the cage... what was the point of the cage then?

2. Using wireless keyboard and mouse when the laptop is in a cage (they didn't specify but I'm assuming it's a faraday cage), either you found some magical new way to connect wireless peripherals, or your cage isn't doing much of anything. 

3. Wait 40 seconds after plugging in the SD card until turning on a virus scanner and firewall, that should have probably already been on...

4. Hold on, if the laptop isn't connected to a network what's the firewall supposed to be doing?

5. If it were possible for a virus to "bypass the cage through the power cord", just don't connect the damn power cord in the first place, ffs the whole point of a laptop is to be able to run off battery power. 

I once got a call from someone who said that their computer would not turn on. They plugged and unplugged it from the wall, and "tried" everything according to them. When I got to their problem it turns out that the plug was not plugged all the way into the computer. 

On 7/8/2021 at 12:29 AM, BigLen said:

I was visiting my grandma in Germany and one of the neighbours asked me to take a look at their computer which was acting slow. I turned it off and on again and it worked perfectly. They gave €20 for 30 seconds of work. I tried to refuse, but they wouldn't let me leave without taking it. I felt kind of bad about it.

Don't worry to much, ease of mind can be worth a lot to people.
You certainly did the work! And skills need to be payed. 🙂

Also if she would have called someone to do the fix, that 20 bucks was just to get them there if not more needed.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

On 1/15/2013 at 11:12 PM, nillas12 said:

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech.

Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them.

I'll go first:

So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago.

My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

i heard one of my dads clients say,

"my laptop fan is on, i dont think its working correctly", or something along those lines.

The client was a Mac user lmao, and the laptop in question was a Mac.

it just goes to show how ignorant Mac users are.

No hate to my dad, he has Macs, but i want to build him a pc

On 7/8/2021 at 2:53 AM, Mel0nMan said:

I always accidentally hit the capslock key when playing a game then I go and type something and realize

lol same 

On 7/7/2021 at 9:52 AM, Tan3l6 said:

when i was a non-techie i didnt understand the difference so...

8 minutes ago, Coastqr said:

i heard one of my dads clients say,

"my laptop fan is on, i dont think its working correctly", or something along those lines.

The client was a Mac user lmao, and the laptop in question was a Mac.

it just goes to show how ignorant Mac users are.

No hate to my dad, he has Macs, but i want to build him a pc

The thing about a Mac is that it just works. It's good for tech noobs because it's harder to break stuff but for more advanced users it can be quite limiting. It's a bit of a blessing and a curse. Not to generalize but most of the time yeah, Mac users don't know as much about how a computer works because they're not forced to know things like that as you are with many Windows PCs. Plus the fan rarely turns on in a Mac because of the aluminum chassis so... I could see how that could be alarming to a less tech educated user. Heck, I posted a story a few months ago about my grandmother, same thing happened on her eMac (she was still using that in 2014 btw), fan turned on, she unplugged it and called me in a panic saying her computer was going to explode.

1 minute ago, Coastqr said:

when i was a non-techie i didnt understand the difference so...

Similarly. My dad also gets page files and ramdisks confused (pagefile = ram on a hard drive and ramdisk = hard drive in your ram) but usually it's easy to see what he means. (eg. This application uses more memory than what I have how do I make my ramdisk bigger, oh you mean pagefile OK.)

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

The thing about a Mac is that it just works. It's good for tech noobs because it's harder to break stuff but for more advanced users it can be quite limiting. Not to generalize but most of the time yeah, Mac users don't know as much about how a computer works because they're not forced to know things like that as you are with many Windows PCs. Plus the fan rarely turns on in a Mac because of the aluminum chassis so... I could see how that could be alarming to a less tech educated user. Heck, I posted a story a few months ago about my grandmother, same thing happened on her eMac (she was still using that in 2014 btw), fan turned on, she unplugged it and called me in a panic saying her computer was going to explode.

bro when i go into evga precision xi and turn my gpu fans to the max it sounds like a leafblower. I cant seem to quiet my other pc fans enough but thankfully i have a good mic so the noise doesnt get in the way of my yt channel

3 minutes ago, Coastqr said:

bro when i go into evga precision xi and turn my gpu fans to the max it sounds like a leafblower. I cant seem to quiet my other pc fans enough but thankfully i have a good mic so the noise doesnt get in the way of my yt channel

Like this? (1:20 is the loud fan)

The GPU I use now, a Quadro k2200, basically a watered down GTX 770 with fewer shaders, is basically silent on max fan speed but it's pretty weak sauce anyway. My old RX 570 on the other hand... Well, it had a godawful cooler and often would go to 3000 RPM during normal gameplay, after about 3 mins of a game it would be in the mid 80s. XFX model if you're curious, it was the 8gb variant known to have overheating issues... 

Just now, Coastqr said:

My sounds like a vacuum cleaner, and my 650 Ti BOOST doesn't sound like much at all since it doesn't do much. Even under max F@H load the fan stays around 1000 RPM and temps stay around 65C.

1000 RPM is 1/4 of max speed officially, it can run at 6000+ RPM if you set it to max 100%. The stock VBIOS limits it to 74% but I modified the VBIOS with higher voltage, power, and fan limits.

elephants

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Similarly. My dad also gets page files and ramdisks confused (pagefile = ram on a hard drive and ramdisk = hard drive in your ram) but usually it's easy to see what he means. (eg. This application uses more memory than what I have how do I make my ramdisk bigger, oh you mean pagefile OK.)

my dad is pretty well enformed for a mac user. My mom just got the new M1 macbook pro, which isnt that awful, but i wish she had me build her a desktop.

Speaking of Macs, my friend (he also built a pc), told me the mac desktops use laptop proccesors, which im assuming is true cause they are so thin. is it?

Just now, FakeKGB said:

My sounds like a vacuum cleaner, and my 650 Ti BOOST doesn't sound like much at all since it doesn't do much. Even under max F@H load the fan stays around 1000 RPM and temps stay around 65C.

1000 RPM is 1/4 of max speed officially, it can run at 6000+ RPM if you set it to max 100%. The stock VBIOS limits it to 74% but I modified the VBIOS with higher voltage, power, and fan limits.

Ooh. Sadly Quadros are a lot more limiting with the nvidia verified locked down driver and etc since every Quadro of a certain model is literally the same exact board design. So they make the driver very specifically and it'll screw up your entire Windows install sometimes if you as much as change the fan speed on your card. Sad.

Just now, Coastqr said:

told me the mac desktops use laptop proccesors, which im assuming is true cause they are so thin. is it?

If your talking M1, I think all the machines share the same chip currently. 

My mom just got the new M1 macbook pro, which isnt that awful, but i wish she had me build her a desktop.

Some people like MacOS over Windows. I know for a fact I do. I run dual machines. I have a Mac Laptop that I use as my go to machine and a Windows desktop for just gaming. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Speaking of Macs, my friend (he also built a pc), told me the mac desktops use laptop proccesors, which im assuming is true cause they are so thin. is it?

Mac Minis and whatever the AIO one is called (I forgot) yes they do. Mac Pros are a different story, basically a nuc with worse thermals but I assume he meant the Mini and the other one.