Experiences with non-techies

31 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

ww

well our schoo has about four ICT rooms each with about 30 computers, they used dell optiplexes, have admin bloced, and we each got private account, it used to e your student  number and the literal password "password", but one year ago - when you reach year 7 - they et you change it

...And here I thought it was bad that the previous district I worked for had student passwords all set to eight digit entirely numerical codes...

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

2 minutes ago, CrowTheRobot said:

...And here I thought it was bad that the previous district I worked for had student passwords all set to eight digit entirely numerical codes...

yeah our school is a bit lazy, but they do an excellent job at blocking tbh, or at least securly does, but I still do have a couple of tricks under my sleeve😜

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

yeah our school is a bit lazy, but they do an excellent job at blocking tbh, or at least securly does, but I still do have a couple of tricks under my sleeve😜

My school is the opposite of lazy

The only way to get around their restrictions fully is a tpm clear

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

My school is the opposite of lazy

The only way to get around their restrictions fully is a tpm clear

wow, well we use chromebooks for school so,  they even block linux program

44 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

wow, well we use chromebooks for school so,  they even block linux program

Yeah

they do On ours to.

ive not cleared my tpm, but I learned exactly where it is for my model, so I can

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yeah

they do On ours to.

ive not cleared my tpm, but I learned exactly where it is for my model, so I can

what's your mosel? We get acer chromebooks

Just now, Ankh Tech said:

hat's your mosel? We get acer chromebooks

Asus. Not sure of the modelno rn

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Our school IT buys pretty good computers for the teachers and students but one of the teachers insists on using her old 2009 iMac because "the screen is big". But that thing is hella slow, and you can hear the fan in it if you're sitting in the back of the room. I want to clean it so badly...

Oh god back in 6th grade my class used chrome books with our school accounts. My teacher at the time being a bit older had a massive binder with everyone's logins just open on her desk 24/7.

So one kid gets the bright idea to take photos of everyone's logins so he could gain more YouTube subscribers.

Someone hears and the entire school district locks everyone's accounts during what was our kinda finals weeks.

Everyone lost their accounts for like two weeks because one teacher left a class's logins open on her desk for everyone to see

There's a completely spotless '09 Mac Pro and Cinema Display and the accompanying keyboard/mouse just sitting on the living room floor behind a chair at my friend's house. I've been trying to work up the courage to ask them for the whole bundle for like $150. Worst part is, it's right next to the table that holds the iMac. Can't see what model it is but it's probably weaker than that combo of hardware just sitting unused on the floor...

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

There's a completely spotless '09 Mac Pro and Cinema Display and the accompanying keyboard/mouse just sitting on the living room floor behind a chair at my friend's house. I've been trying to work up the courage to ask them for the whole bundle for like $150. Worst part is, it's right next to the table that holds the iMac. Can't see what model it is but it's probably weaker than that combo of hardware just sitting unused on the floor...

Just do it! Worst outcome they say no. Best outcome they give it to you for free.
It's an opportunity that you never may get again.

elephants

My 4th grade teacher, back when we had projectors, this warning popped up on the screen about needing to replace the lamp and clean the filters. He disregarded it and the projector literally frickin melted. I was in the room when it happened, there was this loud pop, the screen went black, the fan got really loud and blew a generous amount of smoke out the side. Later when the IT team came to replace it they were impressed by how some of the plastic case had actually melted. Needless to say the whole projector was cooked. 

40 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

My 4th grade teacher, back when we had projectors, this warning popped up on the screen about needing to replace the lamp and clean the filters. He disregarded it and the projector literally frickin melted. I was in the room when it happened, there was this loud pop, the screen went black, the fan got really loud and blew a generous amount of smoke out the side. Later when the IT team came to replace it they were impressed by how some of the plastic case had actually melted. Needless to say the whole projector was cooked. 

"Back when we had projectors"

Wdym? My school has a projector in every room.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

"Back when we had projectors"

Wdym? My school has a projector in every room.

yeah not al schools can afford interactive whiteboards

1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

We now have these touchscreen board things in every room. The projectors were better.

^^^^^

I once opened up a family members pc (meaning took of the side panel) to remount their wifi card, and they took the pc from me as soon as I took of the side panel and said Ok Thanks for fixing it. They thought I was done.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

We now have these touchscreen board things in every room. The projectors were better.

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

yeah not al schools can afford interactive whiteboards

We have active walls, they're weird toutchacreen projectors board things, but are currently switching to some big toutchacreen TV things

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

We have active walls, they're weird toutchacreen projectors board things, but are currently switching to some big toutchacreen TV things

You mean Promethean ActivBoards?

Promethean ActivBoard 164 interactive whiteboard Only - Discontinued only  £0.00 | Extera Direct

We had those too, though they've all been removed now. They were a lot of fun to mess around with.

Anyone else remember when the system got confused and thought the pen was in the wrong place, and you had to go through a procedure where you click on all the little crosses and it re-calibrates it?

Of course if you did this with the board already calibrated properly, and didn't tap where the crosses were, you could totally mess up the calibration.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You mean Promethean ActivBoards?

Promethean ActivBoard 164 interactive whiteboard Only - Discontinued only  £0.00 | Extera Direct

We had those too, though they've all been removed now. They were a lot of fun to mess around with.

Anyone else remember when the system got confused and thought the pen was in the wrong place, and you had to go through a procedure where you click on all the little crosses and it re-calibrates it?

Of course if you did this with the board already calibrated properly, and didn't tap where the crosses were, you could totally mess up the calibration.

yeah, those. We have a devvrent version. These:

image.jpeg.af06ea59d8b784d8fc22f022ca693d94.jpeg

and were getting these:

image.jpeg.053c65f21b8628a3c58169af83455048.jpeg

theres a bnunch opf both the activwall and activboard in the a closet next to out server room

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Not bad...

Skylake Pentium, probably G4400, 8GB dual channel, 500GB 7200RPM Toshiba, optical, Windows Pro license in the board, PSU and board are 24 pin. No GPU but that's expected, that's rare in prebuilts. I can either pass them onto someone who needs a PC or flip them to sell local, I'll probably keep one just for having a spare tower around. I'll see if they work tonight but other that one spot of rust and skbw scrapes it was just dust inside. Came from a church he said.

Just remembered that my friend needs a screen, if he has a screen next time I'll take it for her if it's not banged up. 

Got them home, dusted them out at work, I'll have to boot them up tonight or tomorrow to see if they work!

I've got a dumb one.

Not to name names, but it really pisses me off when people recommend parts worth hundreds of dollars, someone calls them out on their bad advice, and they say "Sorry I don't know much about tech."

THEN WHY ARE YOU RECOMMENDING SOMEONE BUY SOMETHING...

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler