Experiences with non-techies

Throwback to this thread, this guy drilled a hole in his 980ti because the cooler mount didn't fit...

980ti Darwin Awards: Help - Graphics Cards - Linus Tech Tips

Then when it didn't work, snapped the card in half...

On 4/17/2021 at 12:00 AM, Radium_Angel said:

(preface: I work for the gov't.)

A woman was just put "in charge" (not exactly, but we have to get everything approved by her) of our IT group.

She calls her computer "the modem"

Has no clue what we do, but insists on telling us what we need to do.

Yes, I'm job hunting.

RUN. 

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Then when it didn't work, snapped the card in half...

He must have been ex-military. "Beat it to fit, paint it to match."

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

>Microsoft makes TPM mandatory for Windows 11.

>Windows 11 hasn't been released yet and won't be available for another 6 months and Windows 10 has another 4 years of support.

>Don't know / want to look up how to turn on TPM in the UEFI.

>Panic!

>Register an account on LTT and make a thread to ask about it, ignoring the dozen other threads that already exist about it.

I have nothing against a noob not knowing what TPM is, why it's required and how to check if your hardware has it and if so, how to turn it on. But the only reasonable explanation why you're doing it now is because you want to install the leaked Windows 11 build. And if you have to ask questions about this without being able to Google the answers yourself, you have no business installing some random ISO found on the web that you have no idea how to validate for malware. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

30 minutes ago, Guy_Incognito said:

So no there are at least three other valid reasons that a person might be looking in to Windows 11 updates right now, not one monolithic reason you don't agree with.

The problem is its not officially released. If you want to upgrade right now you need to sign up for the insider program and wait for them to release it. Upgrading to a OLDER build that is no longer valid is not the answer. The build that was leaked doesn't have all the features. You're better off waiting for the official build. Like I said they are releasing it to people in the insiders program. 

In my opinion if your tech savvy and dont mind to tinker around then upgrading as soon as possible is cool. If your not a tech savvy person and dont like to tinker around then it might be wise to wait for the official release during the holidays. If you still have PTSD from the Windows 10 launch then you might want to wait a bit further and let them work out as many bugs as possible. 

I know for me I wont upgrade at the bare minimum till some time next year. Ill follow what happens during the initial release and figure it out from there. According to the check up I did on my mom's machine her CPU is not supported, not sure if thats just an initial issue or if there will be no support period. For her, she will most likely stay on Windows 10. Same goes for my sisters laptop as well. Its not going to be supported due to its age. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Guy_Incognito said:

snip

You clearly missed the entire point of my post. I haven't said anything negative about being prepared or gathering info. In fact, you conveniently didn't quote the part where I said that being understandable. But I've seen a couple of threads on this very forum here about enabling TPM on your motherboard. If you're knowledgeable enough to be the IT guy for your friends and family, you're knowledgeable enough to look up the manual of a motherboard and figure out where to turn on the option if the motherboard supports it in the first place. But then you're not the kind of non-techie making a thread about it here. Again, the only reason a non-techie would need help turning on TPM on their motherboard right now is to run the ISO themselves, not to be prepared for whatever happens in 6 months when the OS releases.

No need to get your panties into a twist because you felt like you're being talked to, because if you're not the kind of non-techie making a thread about turning on TPM in your UEFI, you're not the kind of guy I'm talking about. And since I don't see a thread to that effect in your post history, I don't know why you felt called out.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

My best experience with non-techies is one of my friend. He claimes to be a guy blessed with Infinite Tech Wisdom just because he know about all the zoom video and audio settings. He started to show everybody how to do everything in zoom, and there goes my reputation. And he is giving me tech tips on how to improve my mic problem without letting me speak and telling me about all the audio settings which I can use. The zoom settings cant change anything to my mic quality as I use a damages earphone and he know it too. And he tells me about the background noise removal feature and he calls the setting as echo cancellation which is an entirely different setting. And the most funniest thing is that when teachers asked me about the microphone issue I told them I was using a pc not a laptop I cannot use anything other on it because I dont have spare headphones or speakers. And he says try speaking without the earphones and see if it works. And I tell him that im using a pc still he says so what try removing and speak. The most annoying thing ever.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

I normally watch trash taste but today is not that day

its been 5 min and I am cringing

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

The amount of people I come across that think the a monitor and a computer are the same thing is a little mind boggling. When I say the same thing I really mean that they think that a monitor does the computer work. Now granted I live in a fairly affluent area and a lot of people are probably familiar with iMacs and other all in ones but still its a lot of people. And they do tend to be kids (9-13 is the main age group that I have seen) but at the same time I have seen a few adults confused). 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

4 minutes ago, Frugivore8894 said:

The amount of people I come across that think the a monitor and a computer are the same thing is a little mind boggling. When I say the same thing I really mean that they think that a monitor does the computer work. Now granted I live in a fairly affluent area and a lot of people are probably familiar with iMacs and other all in ones but still its a lot of people. And they do tend to be kids (9-13 is the main age group that I have seen) but at the same time I have seen a few adults confused). 

Funny story, about a year ago I realized my mom thought I had been using my laptop connected to my monitor all along, and the giant box I had bought around 3 months prior was literally just a hard drive connected to the laptop. She asked me how I was using my 'hard drive and TV without the laptop', I had the pleasure of informing her it was an entirely different computer.

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Funny story, about a year ago I realized my mom thought I had been using my laptop connected to my monitor all along, and the giant box I had bought around 3 months prior was literally just a hard drive connected to the laptop. She asked me how I was using my 'hard drive and TV without the laptop', I had the pleasure of informing her it was an entirely different computer.

inb4: But why do you need two Computers ? Or: Why do you buy a new Computer when the old one still works ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 6/29/2021 at 10:29 PM, soldier_ph said:

inb4: But why do you need two Computers ? Or: Why do you buy a new Computer when the old one still works ?

Ask them , Why do you need a new car? doesn't the old one work? Why do you buy a $20,000 car when you can get a $6000 car. Doesn't it do the job ? 

This worked for me , will work for you too XD

On 6/29/2021 at 12:59 PM, soldier_ph said:

Atleast my parents understand upgrading.

I still run my old desktop but the wifi card broke and my dad understand and bought a used optiplex.

I also have a semi broken laptop.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I have like 4 PC towers.

A friend asks why don't you sell all of them and just have one.

I tell them one is for windows 7 games, other is a NAS, and that other one is just a encoding machine.

My friend group normally works off school issued devices.

So when I told them a update on my computers (when my wifi broke)

Why don't you use your laptop?

2011507611_Screenshot_20210319-1944023.png.76a3182ae66797390dba7ca94ec6e117.png

Mind you I am studying for state testing.

I told them that my workflow doesn't work on a Chromebook.

(I can do normal school work on one)

But I have to use multiple screens for easier use.

I did Finnish studying on my windows laptop with 3 monitors connected.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 7/1/2021 at 1:33 AM, sub68 said:

I have like 4 PC towers.

A friend asks why don't you sell all of them and just have one.

I tell them one is for windows 7 games, other is a NAS, and that other one is just a encoding machine.

My friend group normally works off school issued devices.

So when I told them a update on my computers (when my wifi broke)

Why don't you use your laptop?

2011507611_Screenshot_20210319-1944023.png.76a3182ae66797390dba7ca94ec6e117.png

Mind you I am studying for state testing.

I told them that my workflow doesn't work on a Chromebook.

(I can do normal school work on one)

But I have to use multiple screens for easier use.

I did Finnish studying on my windows laptop with 3 monitors connected.

I used to have friends that would ask WhY dO yOu NeVeR uSe YoUr ScHoOl LaPtOp At HoMe but somehow didn't understand that I had a computer at home that I liked better than the school laptops. They were alright for Word but the keyboards were pretty awful to type on. It felt like what I imagine typing on a dead fish would feel like.

My grandmother didn't know how to create a new meeting in Google Meet, so I had to call her up, then logon to a TeamViewer session with her (My dad taught her that and she uses it for every single tiny 'problem' on her PC) so that I could show her how to go to meet.google.com and click that big green button and she just went 'oHHHHH it's that simple????"

facepalm

Especially among older people I've talked to, it's very common to refer to the PC itself as a "hard drive". So you'll have people connecting a keyboard, mouse and monitor to their laptop, close the lid, and now they're "just using it as a hard drive".

Is that just in Norway, or is that a common misconception elsewhere?

Just now, Tosa said:

Especially among older people I've talked to, it's very common to refer to the PC itself as a "hard drive". So you'll have people connecting a keyboard, mouse and monitor to their laptop, close the lid, and now they're "just using it as a hard drive".

I'd say that's pretty common everywhere. 

18 minutes ago, Tosa said:

I've seen this more for people with MacBook Pros and they use it in "clamshell" mode. I guess just different terminology but the same definition. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

On 7/5/2021 at 6:37 PM, Tosa said:

It's pretty common, people use wrong terms all the time. My sister calls the USB cable she use for charging her phone "the charger" ... when she asked me for a charger, I gave her exactly that ; a wallplug with a USB port, she legit thought I was trolling her.

TV shows and movies don't help either ...

"we got his hard rive"

*pulls PSU out of bag*

NCIS "counter-hacking" ;
... because apparently 4 hands on a keyboard is better ?

NCIS (again) ... apparently viruses can use power cords to hack other computers ...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

12 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

It's pretty common, people use wrong terms all the time. My sister calls the USB cable she use for charging her phone "the charger" ... when she asked me for a charger, I gave her exactly that ; a wallplug with a USB port, she legit thought I was trolling her.

One time in class I asked for a Chromebook charger (cause they are USB c)

I plugged in my phone to it and some said" you created a bomb"

Me"it's fine I have done it plenty of times."

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

When people use:

*caps lock on*

-types a letter-

*caps lock off*

to capitalise the first letter of the sentence rather than the shift key

And that’s the most frustrating thing I might have ever seen 

"Coding skill isn’t about knowing how to make things; It’s about being able to find the right Stack Overflow code to copy paste."

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

I had a conversation with someone on eBay recently about a bent pin on an LGA775 socket. It's a random power pin.

The system worked fine. I accidentally left it overnight and it was still working the next day. I even bent it back so it contacts and it still works fine.

But according to this person:

bent pin in CPU socket is not safe

windows will work fine but then start bootlooping and then your motherboard and cpu are toast

You are wrong, I have experience as I build many midtower systems and the parts have to be perfect for me otherwise I do not buy them

elephants