Experiences with non-techies

1 hour ago, ant666_2 said:

when people look at pre builds before building themselves. though the midrange market it is currently ceaper to buy prebuld even wiith an OS (In the UK)

Uhhhh...You are aware of the global parts shortages right now, correct?  AKA the reason my $400 3060 could fetch me at least $900-1,000 on eBay right now if I was a total asshole.

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

So you know when you can just sense a computer suffering, right? Probably the best example of this was a few years ago when one of my friend's moms asked me to clean her three sons' computers. They were HP laptops, can't remember exactly what but they had a Celeron, 4gb of ram and a 5400RPM 80gb HDD. So I power one of them on. 7 1/2 minutes to load Win8. After the login, it took around another 3 mins for it to be usable, at which point I was assaulted by all the startup apps. Skype, Discord, some wallpaper app, and BOTH MCAFEE AND NORTON. Ugh. So I go in to Task Manager, check, and indeed all the startup programs were enabled. Disabled those, then noticed the HDD had less than 2gb of space left... 

cant believe this 8year old thread is Still alive

Dream build:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-10600K | GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE | Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L| RGB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro  16GB (2x8) CL18 3600MHz |

Intel 660P 512GB NVMe | Kingston A400 SSDNow 480GB 2.5" | WD "Caviar" Blue 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ | THERMALTAKE RGB H200 USB 3.0 |

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro

Monitors:

(1) LG 27'" 27Gl650F-B 144hz 1ms IPS G-Sync Pivot 3

(2) Acer Predator XB241YUbmiprz 23.8" 144Hz 1ms G-Sync

Headset:

Kingston HyperX HX-HSCSC2-BK-WW Cloud Stinger Core 

I’ve met people who believe that a computer goes obsolete whenever a new computer comes out. I told them that computers only go obsolete when they can’t be upgraded any further (with the parts not being available/can’t run with the OS’ programs) and that as long as they manage the parts and upgrade them/replace them whenever possible, than their computer should run just fine. I currently have a 2012 Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 72 with 16gb ddr3 dimm memory, intel core i7 3.4GHz quad core with igpu, a 500gb hard drive, a 500gb SSHD, a dvd-/+r drive, and I installed a sound card with gameport to run 1995 joysticks on it. My OS is windows 10 pro 64-bit. It runs most games on it that can be graphically intense, and it works with developing games on unreal flawlessly. The buffer of obsolescence for a desktop is around 10-15 years and for a laptop it’s around 5-12 years.

35 minutes ago, Whyleonhart said:

The buffer of obsolescence for a desktop is around 10-15 years

That I will disagree with.

10 years ago we had Sandy Bridge, which is decent by today's standards, but 15 years ago we had single-core and dual-core Pentium 4's, which are not powerful enough by any stretch of the imagination.

elephants

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

10 years ago we had Sandy Bridge, which is decent by today's standards, but 15 years ago we had single-core and dual-core Pentium 4's, which are not powerful enough by any stretch of the imagination.

But some cpus now may run fine 15 years later. I still use Sandy/ivy bridge

2 minutes ago, Whyleonhart said:

But some cpus now may run fine 15 years later. I still use Sandy/ivy bridge

I'm not saying that in 5 years, Sandy Bridge will be useless.

But 15 years ago now is P4 era which is much too old to be useful.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

I'm not saying that in 5 years, Sandy Bridge will be useless.

But 15 years ago now is P4 era which is much too old to be useful.

I know p4 is obsolete and I despise pentium with a passion. Honestly the school system still uses these

2 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Not for my parents, If it works, then why buy better, tha't why I had a xbox 360 slim for 6 years, even after the discontinue, until 2020 february, when I got a ps4

2 hours ago, Whyleonhart said:

I know p4 is obsolete and I despise pentium with a passion. Honestly the school system still uses these

I'm gonna call BS on that, as someone working for a school district.  Unless your district doesn't give a damn about security, in which case they're opening themselves to monster liability, I can't imagine anyone running something that possibly can't run beyond Windows 7.  Even if they managed to have a generation of Pentium 4s that can run Windows 8 (which apparently do exist) I've never seen a district have such a shoddy hardware replacement cycle.

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

So , this happened today

I was overhearing my brothers high school computer class.

He had java basics in his curriculum

So I  thought it will be interesting to see what the teacher teaches.

That was a big mistake

She starts the class with - "today we are going to learn the if loop formulas and for loop formulas"

I died laughing XDDDD

"IF LOOP"

SYNTAX is called FORMULA

And she was presenting her screen and i saw that she had tons of trojans and malware

everything from Mcafee to chromium trojan was there on here PC/laptop idk LOL

"""COMPUTER TEACHER"""

I hate the fact that retailers claim that "SSD hard drives" are a thing...

image.png.c8f5fc02990ac23feb4e2ae6bb450201.png

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

14 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I hate the fact that retailers claim that "SSD hard drives" are a thing...

image.png.c8f5fc02990ac23feb4e2ae6bb450201.png

most normies wont know the difference between a HDD and SSD so a hard drive is something that has a large amount of storage and is portable.

Yeah, hard as in non-volatile I guess. How did we even end up in place where hard drive=magnetic storage?

3 hours ago, Loote said:

Yeah, hard as in non-volatile I guess. How did we even end up in place where hard drive=magnetic storage?

Probably because it's a clear differentiation to floppy disks. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Windows saying "Hard Drive" even though I have an SSD installed LOL

image.png.ad4a5772bef917807a6ad63b2cd475dc.png

I hate that retailers list products as "SSD Drives" or "HDD Drives" even though "SSD/HDD" already contains the word "Drive".

image.png.3c12a4780fe242781a04e212ba4905d2.png

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

1 hour ago, LTTfan2006 said:

I hate that retailers list products as "SSD Drives" or "HDD Drives" even though "SSD/HDD" already contains the word "Drive".

I mean not everyone knows what they stand for, if a non-techie wants to buy a ssd or hdd, this would make it easier

I just remembered, a few years ago after my grandmother sadly passed away we were going through her stuff and found 1/3 of the world's flash memory that was ever made. There were around 5 different types of cards, and 10-20 of each. We concluded she didn't know how to delete photos from the card and just bought a new card every time she filled one. 

On 5/28/2021 at 4:34 AM, LTTfan2006 said:

When windows was made they only thought of hard drives and coded to do it. TBh they could do storage but that would be harder to get.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 5/28/2021 at 3:34 AM, LTTfan2006 said:

That "hard drive" is because Windows is tied heavily to its past, when HDDs weren't a thing. I mean, Windows 10 21H1 supports 3.5" floppy drives.

Perhaps they'll change it to "Storage drive" with 21H2?

elephants

Ooh, I got ya another one!

My little brother comes by and sees my GTX 690 on my desk (It has no fan, replacement fan is in the mail, this saved me $130 USD). He asks what it is. Conversation that follows:

Me: "It's a graphics card. It's given data by the CPU and then this turns it into a picture."

Him: "So why is it so big?"
Me: "It's designed to make fancy pictures really fast. Smaller ones, like the one in your Chromebook can't do that."
Him: "Could I attach this to my Chromebook?"
Me: "No."
Him: "Not even with an adapter?"
Him: "Ok. Can I use your computer then to see how good it is?"
Him: "But what if I plug my Chromebook into the monitors?"

Me: facedesk "Just... just go.
Please."

elephants

27 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Ooh, I got ya another one!

My little brother comes by and sees my GTX 690 on my desk (It has no fan, replacement fan is in the mail, this saved me $130 USD). He asks what it is. Conversation that follows:

Me: "It's a graphics card. It's given data by the CPU and then this turns it into a picture."

Him: "So why is it so big?"
Me: "It's designed to make fancy pictures really fast. Smaller ones, like the one in your Chromebook can't do that."
Him: "Could I attach this to my Chromebook?"
Him: "Not even with an adapter?"
Him: "Ok. Can I use your computer then to see how good it is?"
Him: "But what if I plug my Chromebook into the monitors?"

Me: facedesk "Just... just go.
Please."

Well I can't blame him, I used to think the same thing, and maybe yu could teach him one day

2 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

Well I can't blame him, I used to think the same thing, and maybe yu could teach him one day

I've tried...

Today he comes in and I try to explain to him why plugging in his Chromebook to my monitors won't work.

Me: "Want to know why plugging in your Chromebook to my monitors won't let you use my new graphics card?"
Him: "Sure!"
Me: "So the graphics card sends the picture data over this HDMI cable. If you plug in your Chromebook to my monitors my graphics card isn't controlling the display, your Chromebook is."
Him: "What if I plug my Chromebook into your graphics card then?"

elephants