Experiences with non-techies

No Michael I'm not gonna show you how to jailbreak your iPhone:

image.thumb.png.7043b3a83af645366724fd795803e908.png

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Dad: Comcast is having issues. 
Me: yeah I’ve had issues with gaming. 
Dad: yeah it’s causing Grit TV not to come in. 
Me: …………….. Grit TV is from the OTA antenna, it coming in has nothing to do with Comcast. 😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

so my mom was complaining that the vacuum cleaner wasn't working

I didn't touch it until I didn't need it, because I already know what problem it had, it would have been nasty, the same problem of the previous vacuum cleaners obviously, she is refusing to learn and listens only to what she would like to listen

then today I decide to open it, and it smelled rotten, shit, it looked like it was full of shit; all the filter/motor is full of shit, and no way to throw that out, because "it still works"

IMG_20210726_184301.jpg

On 7/26/2021 at 9:42 AM, Deminisher said:

i hate it when people compare their old cheap android phones and laptops with macbooks and iphones, thinking that if it is made by apple then it is suddenly magic with no regards to price difference or specs or age or ANYTHING

Same with desktops/laptops, my mom complains about how "big and loud" my computer is and "why don't I just use my laptop" well because my laptop's 4 core cpu and vega igpu isn't as good as my Xeon system OK? I've even compared them with Cinebench for her and she still doesn't believe me, just because the Pentium 4 family pc we used until like 2012 was slow and her laptop was faster, therefore all desktops are slow...

18 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Wait, does she really expect a literal server system to be quiet? That's pretty dumb, especially given that laptops only have the potential to be quieter because they perform less well compared to equivalent desktops of that generation...

Yep. All she knows is that it's from 2012 and it's therefore "old and slow"... bruh just let my 270 watts of CPU do their job. She thinks that servers are all "in the cloud" and actual servers like this one don't exist, your data just goes up and is stored in a magical place only Amazon AWS knows.

53 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

your data just goes up and is stored in a magical place only Amazon AWS knows.

Is it stored in the routers?

Context:

"The county has, for whatever reason, also refused to produce the network routers. We want the routers, Sonny, Wendy, we got to get those routers, please. The routers. Come on, Kelly, we can get those routers. Those routers. You know what? We're so beyond the routers, there's so many fraudulent votes without the routers. But if you got those routers, what that will show, and they don't want to give up the routers. They don't want to give them. They are fighting like hell. Why are these commissioners fighting not to give the routers?"

Please don't make this political. It's not meant to be nor should it be. Just someone mixing up what does what.

elephants

often "techies" are lame aswell

like in some repairment shop, there was the repair guy who told customers that the battery needed like to discharge totally one time, two times it needs to charge until 50%, and discharge it again as before, and doing the same thing/loop when you charge it at 75% and finally at 100%, "to not damage the battery"

I mean I can understand when they do play dumb to try to fuck with somebody, but how do they came up with something like that? it's ridiculous

9 hours ago, 12345678 said:

often "techies" are lame aswell

like in some repairment shop, there was the repair guy who told customers that the battery needed like to discharge totally one time, two times it needs to charge until 50%, and discharge it again as before, and doing the same thing/loop when you charge it at 75% and finally at 100%, "to not damage the battery"

I mean I can understand when they do play dumb to try to fuck with somebody, but how do they came up with something like that? it's ridiculous

Well, some battery types have to be fully discharged after each use. But that sounds like battery conditioning what you said, which is actually a necessary process. It's not just bs.

Edited by Mel0nMan
Fixed incorrect info

5 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well, older lead acid batteries had to be fully discharged after each use.

That was NiCd, you never want to discharge lead-acid fully if you can avoid it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

There aren't a lot of people who know how to touch type over here, and you would be called a superman or something similar if you typed without looking at the keyboard.

Spoiler

And its very frustrating to see people typing sooooo slow with just two fingers

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

That was NiCd, you never want to discharge lead-acid fully if you can avoid it.

My bad... Somewhat related, the batteries for the Mavic Pro drone are LiPo and auto discharge to 50% after 3 days of inactivity to preserve lifespan.

Edited by Mel0nMan
I was wrong and edited my post :(

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

the batteries for the Mavic Pro drone are NiCad

Nope, they're Li-Po. Nobody's been using NiCd for >15 years (very specific uses excepted).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

6 hours ago, RockSolid1106 said:

There aren't a lot of people who know how to touch type over here, and you would be called a superman or something similar if you typed without looking at the keyboard.

Hide contents

And its very frustrating to see people typing sooooo slow with just two fingers

How about touchtyping and still being slow? 😉

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

11 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

How about touchtyping and still being slow? 😉

LOL

If you touch type already, I can promise the time for which you'll be slow is limited. 

But those who are slow with touch typing, I'll respect them for taking the efforts to learn that, because people who touch type are actually very scarce around me. Most will just give up after a couple minutes of practice.

Edited by RockSolid1106

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

What abbreviation do you guys prefer to use ? PICNIC (Problem in Chair, not in Computer) or PEBCAK (Problem exists between Chair and Keyboard) ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 minute ago, soldier_ph said:

What abbreviation do you guys prefer to use ? PICNIC (Problem in Chair, not in Computer) or PEBCAK (Problem exists between Chair and Keyboard) ?

I prefer ID10T Error. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

23 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

PEBCAK

F@H

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

Didn't know these existed, and now I like 'em

^

VPN Server Guide

Why do so many people go onto a thread that's sometimes multiple years old and as OP, who often hasn't visited the forum in months, if they found a fix for their issue?

Either read the thread and see what the solutions are, or create a new thread already - neither is that hard!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

multiple years old

This thread is 8 years old

6 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

OP, who often hasn't visited the forum in months

The OP for this thread hasn't visited for years.

So why did you respond over here?

Okay, just kidding lol

^

VPN Server Guide

People thinking that posting a new thread wouldn't be likely to help much if people couldn't solve OP's issue in the first place, but there is hope that the OP might have found a solution somewhere else and just not bothered coming back to tell about it - but a new post might send them a notification that could make them come back and post it. It's not common but it happens, and if you're at a loss any chance is good to take regardless of how remote. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

6 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

I prefer my fake BSoD screen with the stop code "USER_LACKS_BRAIN_FUNCTION".

Here, look.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d20fa85a67bab6b6298a80d99f007e95.png

elephants

Idgaf and just call it pilot error where they can hear.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!