Experiences with non-techies

33 minutes ago, bear-in-the-air said:

Granted, they will all play games, but some will run games much better than others. If all you want to do is get 30fps in easy to run games you'll be fine with, say the 6100 but more intensive games will require, say, the 6500 to run at a decent frame rate. It's the same for GPUs. You can be fine on slower ones but you'll get a better experience with a more expensive and powerful card. By some definitions some people may not agree that they game fine but it depends more on what you expect from a good experience. 

any of those paired with a 470 would make a pretty good 1080p machine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 22.1.2013 at 2:15 AM, iarejesus said:

I built a PC for my younger brother. Worst mistake, he thinks I owe him a lifetimes worth of customer support or something.

So true. Same problem with my sister.

wow didnt know i responded to an old post

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

and THAT is the marketing i was talking about, AMD does draw more power but they are definatly as technically advanced as NVIDIA, and seeing as NVIDIA is the heavy hitter that would be them on steroids seeing as Pascall is just buff AF Maxwell lol

Ah.  I guess it would more correct to say that AMD GPUs achieve their performance differently from Nvidia?

That's right isn't it?    AMD cards don't function the same as Nvidia's do.  That's why I've heard AMD cards are better for async computing whatever that is.

I assume there's differences between green and red in how their GPUs work.  These differences affect what each brand is good or bad at.  

I was saying AMD was ok steroids based on the assumption they had to brute force their way to achieve high performance (things like using a lot more power) while Nvidia achieved the same or often better it seems at least currently by other more elegantly technical means that allowed them to be more energy efficient.

Basically I was implying that AMD got performance by cheating with designs that got high performance with less r&d effort which made them guzzle power whereas Nvidia went to the gym and earned its muscles the hard way.  lol

(From what you've just told me it seems I was mistaken about some ideas I had about AMD. ?)

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Gears of War 4, Titanfall 2, and Battlefield 1 use DX12.  
Granted, BF1 sees negligible performance gains on DX12, but Gears 4 is only using DX12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

Here's a more complete list.

Here's a list also with games with Vulkan support

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support

Also, he isn't even 40% right.  

An 860k, FX 6300, 8350, an i3 6100, i5 6500... they all game just fine.  This guy is just one of those elitists who think that you don't have a gaming PC until you pay a certain amount of money for your hardware.

Ah.  Yeah..  I don't have GoW4 on PC (Xbox One), and don't play the other two.  I'll take a look at those lists thank you.  

Sorry.  That's why I said an i7 wasn't required but it helps.  An i5 or i3, heck even a Pentium in the right cases can be more than good enough.  But as Bear said better like an i7 has benefits.  More stable fps I think, better frame times, other stuff maybe.    I think I was shown a video a while back when I was picking out a CPU for Usagi for my friend that explained why an i7 was helpful if you could afford it.  

P.S.: I used 40% because I like 4.  lol

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

@Bleedingyamato

You asked for a meme?

Yessss.  That's awesome!  You actually did it!  ?

Spoiler

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

MY TEACHER IN A NUTSHELL 

>6700k

>z170 gaming
>"i dont overclock"
>"i dont need dedicated graphics"
>uses a MS-Tech "750watt" (it explodes at under 500w) 

>"other powersupplys fail too"

ಠ_ಠ

But..  But..  I have a 6700K and a Z170 and I don't OC...  

1 hour ago, bear-in-the-air said:

Granted, they will all play games, but some will run games much better than others. If all you want to do is get 30fps in easy to run games you'll be fine with, say the 6100 but more intensive games will require, say, the 6500 to run at a decent frame rate. It's the same for GPUs. You can be fine on slower ones but you'll get a better experience with a more expensive and powerful card. By some definitions some people may not agree that they game fine but it depends more on what you expect from a good experience. 

Yes.  This.  Better isn't always required but it can help.

domD2oS.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

domD2oS.jpg

RetoastTry pasta

That was autocorrect. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

That's right isn't it? AMD cards don't function the same as Nvidia's do.  That's why I've heard AMD cards are better for async computing whatever that is.

As far as I know, a Nvidia GPU must work instructions in chronological order. That's why they don't get nice performance gains on asynchronous compute APIs. AMD, on the other hand, can work each instruction in the order it is issued by, so it doesn't need to bench an instruction that was issued out of order. I think that's right...

been a while since I've posted here

My other grandma a few years ago when we were setting up her netflix profile we put in her name and she asked if she was going to get phonecalls from netflix, she's 71 this july

7 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

My other grandma a few years ago when we were setting up her netflix profile we put in her name and she asked if she was going to get phonecalls from netflix, she's 71 this july

IMO , cant really blame old people for not understanding tech. 

if she was 40-50 and thinks that apple is the best thing that happened sesne the invention of fire ( looking at some of my family members ) then i would get dizzy on trying to explain how a android smartphone works. 

but sense she is 60-70 , give her a pass folks ( and fyi , just talking generally, the conversation inst pointed towards your fams really. just using your grandmother as an example and i dont mean that in a bad way) 

Hell , if i was 60 , i wouldnt know how tech worked in 2055 or sumthing...... ( presume i live that long enough to see that......) 

(⌐■_■) 

2 minutes ago, Ridska said:

IMO , cant really blame old people for not understanding tech. 

if she was 40-50 and thinks that apple is the best thing that happened sesne the invention of fire ( looking at some of my family members ) then i would get dizzy on trying to explain how a android smartphone works. 

but sense she is 60-70 , give her a pass folks ( and fyi , just talking generally, the conversation inst pointed towards your fams really. just using your grandmother as an example and i dont mean that in a bad way) 

Hell , if i was 60 , i wouldnt know how tech worked in 2055 or sumthing...... ( presume i live that long enough to see that......) 

No I think the reason why she doesn't really know much is because she never had time to pay attention to the innovation as my other grandmother who just turned 67 kinda did.

5 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

No I think the reason why she doesn't really know much is because she never had time to pay attention to the innovation as my other grandmother who just turned 67 kinda did.

eh......

it was just me spouting air out of my mouth thats full of crap. 

(⌐■_■) 

9 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

domD2oS.jpg

Where is the milk bucket ? 

(⌐■_■) 

4 minutes ago, Ridska said:

Where is the milk bucket ? 

image.jpeg

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

My 67 year old grandma thought she was being spied on so she poured glue down her laptop microphone

On 22-2-2017 at 5:19 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats the shadyest thermalpaste iv ever layed my eyes on probably lol.

The goop linus used in one of his video's this week looks even worse...

50 minutes ago, NLD1st said:

The goop linus used in one of his video's this week looks even worse...

i just used wheel bareing grease i shout shut up. litteraly glued my P4 to the cooler and i had to pry it of with a screwdriver. the PCB almost snapped :| 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

So my dad has two pretty decent builds both of which the family uses. About a year ago my grandmother who is sixty seven was visiting and as part of here morning routine she would check these spam sites like natural news. She doesn't understand click bait and scamming so she was subscribed to atleast a dozen newsletters. Another based part of this is when we woke up and went into the office we walked in on her using the CD drive to hold her coffee mug

43 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

In a Skype group with twenty others and this one kid start talking about computers. He said Xbox is better because for pc gaming you need atleast this. Btw the kid was like eight and was rich as fuck, and linked this as minimum 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BLpDKZ

take the facts chair and bash his face in with it lol. always fun to do IMO

Builds:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Do you notice anything wrong with this?

Please don't tell me I have to explain why...

Oi.PNG

No anti-static bag? 

95 dollars? 

The clock speed(I don't know)? 

2 minutes ago, 1shanghai said:

No anti-static bag? 

95 dollars? 

The clock speed(I don't know)? 

Well, why would you put a bare CPU on carpet, and then what constitutes that the Q9550S should be $95?  

Hell, I just bought a Q9550 for a third that price.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

12 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Well, why would you put a bare CPU on carpet

why not , it wont suddenly combust 

also a Q9550 for 30$ is you getting ripped off , i7 920´s are that price 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

59 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Do you notice anything wrong with this?

Please don't tell me I have to explain why...

Oi.PNG

I built my pc on carpet with socks. 

27 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

why not , it wont suddenly combust 

also a Q9550 for 30$ is you getting ripped off , i7 920´s are that price 

Q9650 I think, got it for $30 CAD (me)

i got it because i had an existing 775 motherboard and it was temporary 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I built my pc on carpet with socks. 

Q9650 I think, got it for $30 CAD (me)

i got it because i had an existing 775 motherboard and it was temporary 

I got a 2500k for $85 cad.