Experiences with non-techies

Just now, 1shanghai said:

Bad boy don't talk about your mother like that

?

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

2 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

Honestly after this week i just wish owned a mac and a console

Hide contents

liek the problems that come from when I mess up my computer trying the BCLK OC

Hide contents

but then will be able to survive the closed and restricted platform

Hide contents

but then that would mean no more problems cause then i would have no more freedom to fuck shit up. 

Hide contents

and i wanna play around cause then what is the fun then with custom builds

Hide contents

you know what. Imma just gonna sulk and cry myself to sleep now :(

that reminds me i should go do some BCLK OC on the LAN PC. took me a while to realise how to do it properly, like not just raise the BCLK by 0.1 and then have it crash, you have to tweek RAM speed too so you dont push that beyond what it can do

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

that reminds me i should go do some BCLK OC on the LAN PC. took me a while to realise how to do it properly, like not just raise the BCLK by 0.1 and then have it crash, you have to tweek RAM speed too so you dont push that beyond what it can do

well just be remind............i fucked up the bios trying to revert the microcode

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

5 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

well just be remind............i fucked up the bios trying to revert the microcode

you should probably get one of the B150 motherboard with a BIOS that unlocks the multiplier lol. just abandon this one because it sounds like you screwed it BAD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you should probably get one of the B150 motherboard with a BIOS that unlocks the multiplier lol. just abandon this one because it sounds like you screwed it BAD

B150 motherboards don't have unlocked multipliers. Z170/Z270 motherboards do.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

Just now, AA-RonRosen said:

B150 motherboards don't have unlocked multipliers. Z170/Z270 motherboards do.

i dont think you were pressent at Skylake launch then, there were big news that some B150 motherboards had external clock chips with certain BIOS versions, these are BIOSes that were never shipped on ther boards but they are sometimes available on the manufactureres website or in other places. this is just a few, 5 or so of them, that have this capability but those boards are awesome. i know ASRock made one and i think there was an MSI and a Gigabyte one aswell.  the boards all need a BIOS downgrade to a pre-release BIOS or a Beta BIOS or an unofficial one from some other part for this feature to be unlocked however

Builds:

Spoiler

On 2/1/2016 at 8:56 PM, Psybadek said:

While I won't go on everything, Apple was the first to create an OS with a GUI interface. So in a way, he is correct about that.

Apple bought the technology from Xerox. So...Yeah no 

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont think you were pressent at Skylake launch then, there were big news that some B150 motherboards had external clock chips with certain BIOS versions, these are BIOSes that were never shipped on ther boards but they are sometimes available on the manufactureres website or in other places. this is just a few, 5 or so of them, that have this capability but those boards are awesome. i know ASRock made one and i think there was an MSI and a Gigabyte one aswell.  the boards all need a BIOS downgrade to a pre-release BIOS or a Beta BIOS or an unofficial one from some other part for this feature to be unlocked however

I'm aware of that, I wouldn't trust any of those bioses though. Especially the third party ones. The beta ones are not completely stable and I don't want that, to be booting what I rely on especially since I restart my pc a lot since I triple boot. The prerelease bios is usually just as stable since it wasn't going to ship with any motherboards, they wouldn't really debug it 

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

3 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

I'm aware of that, I wouldn't trust any of those bioses though. Especially the third party ones. The beta ones are not completely stable and I don't want that, to be booting what I rely on especially since I restart my pc a lot since I triple boot. The prerelease bios is usually just as stable since it wasn't going to ship with any motherboards, they wouldn't really debug it 

i never told you specifically to get one, overclocking and maximum stability dont mix at all anyway. i told @DeezNoNos to get one seeing as he has messed up his current motherboard so bad doing BCLK overclocking on his locked chip. the BIOSes that support this should be fine anyway seeing as they are basically what the had on launch day(some of them might even just be the latest BIOS with the modification) with the core clock tweek enabled. 

Builds:

Spoiler

nah the best one was for me, was when I needed to explain to someone how to turn a monitor on, I have also needed to explain how to put a hyperlink into an email (by pressing the big hyperlink button, which took up 1/4 of the top bar), there is also a reoccurring thing of mapping a network drive (which yes I get that that isn't a normal thing people need to do, but I have explained how to do it to the same person about 15 times).

My favourite one was when a guy tried to sell me a PC, which parts was worth £150, brand new, for about £400, and when I said no, that's a stupid price lowered it to £300, and said that that was the lowest he'd go

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

but I have explained how to do it to the same person about 15 times).

i think you need to get better at explaining stuff man... :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

i think you need to get better at explaining stuff man... :P 

you say that, but I how do you explain, pressing three buttons and typing a password and username, in other way than press that, then that, then that, type in username, and password (which are the easiest and simplest things in the world, and I don't care as they don't need to be)

And more, several more

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

you say that, but I how do you explain, pressing three buttons and typing a password and username, in other way than press that, then that, then that, type in username, and password (which are the easiest and simplest things in the world, and I don't care as they don't need to be)

idk lol anyway just make a short video tutorial of it or something, so they can look at that instead of you haveing to explain everything again. probably worth the extra effort to never have to explain that shit again

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

idk lol anyway just make a short video tutorial of it or something, so they can look at that instead of you haveing to explain everything again. probably worth the extra effort to never have to explain that shit again

fair enough, might do that, they are learning a bit, that being said they don't get the fact that they don't need 1TB of storage especially as they are only using 40GB of the 200GB storage from my NAS that I let them use. That just reminds me of when I needed to explain to someone how to play a video (different person)

And more, several more

39 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

No, I don't think any b150 mobos had that. If I recall correctly it was only h170 and z170 mobos and anyhow Intel shut that one down :/ 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

10 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Oh well, I guess it's like Doug DeMuro does with cars.  If they ask "is this what I should get?"  Just... yes.  They won't listen anyways.

And then they blame you for recommending it when the cheapo Chinese thing eventually breaks.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

Probably my favorite experience with someone, would have to be at my previous job.

I worked with an MSP who had set up a new VDI environment with VMWare for a confidential client. About a day after it's online, I get a call from the CEO of said client. He asked where on his PC he could go to access his VDI, and insisted that i remote into his system in order to show him.

Low and behold, on his desktop was a lone shortcut with the name "%USERNAME%-VDI"

Needless to say his frustration dropped quickly after being shown where to locate his VDI.

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

No, I don't think any b150 mobos had that. If I recall correctly it was only h170 and z170 mobos and anyhow Intel shut that one down :/ 

nope B150 had them, i dont remember a single H170 motherboard with it though. Intel were increadably quick to shut it down but the BIOSes still exist and can be flashed to make it work

Builds:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

nope B150 had them, i dont remember a single H170 motherboard with it though. Intel were increadably quick to shut it down but the BIOSes still exist and can be flashed to make it work

Really? Could you show me one?

I recall Supermicro demoing an h170 board with it but I don't know if it ever went on sale.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

25 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Really? Could you show me one?

I recall Supermicro demoing an h170 board with it but I don't know if it ever went on sale.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-non-z170-bclk-overclocking-motherboards,31362.html

there you go, a bunch of ASRock ones, seems there were some H170 ones too, i never heard of those, they just slapped another lable on them and shipped them out lol

Builds:

Spoiler

On 2/27/2017 at 1:11 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

see, this is how you budget, cases are a waste of money

Nope not really, don't mind me but I have worked as an SI before 

On 2/27/2017 at 2:20 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

i see neither of those components here, IMO spending cash on a nice case just because it looks nice IS a waste of money, looks dont give you more FPS

Also motherboards (a friend of mine went with my and 6600k over 6700k and gaming 5) but i get the point this needs to look cool, but I always give the same reply 1st performance 

23 hours ago, AA-RonRosen said:

At least you know something's wrong. most people would think the motherboard slowed down the graphics because that's completely logical. 

I have heard that before 

right time to go back to catalyst driver. *sighs*

Build

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

why? 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

5 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Better than novideo drivers. Those are hell

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

why? 

cause the crimsion 17.2.1 is fucking up my computer. so is 16.11.2 or something. I google cant find solution. found a youtube video saying that crimson ahd probs with win 10. Shady but i am desperate.

Build

Spoiler