Experiences with non-techies

3 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

i might actually do it.

I would judge but look at my profile picture, I really shouldn't be talking 

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

Just now, AA-RonRosen said:

I would judge but look at my profile picture, I really shouldn't be talking 

AA-RonRosen

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

AA-RonRosen

That actually scared me 

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

Just now, AA-RonRosen said:

That actually scared me 

ill post the video here. But after ny gtx 1080ti anaylsis video

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

11 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

True, I'll just reply with, "Oh, is that so?  Hmm."

You should do your own Wonka meme for that.  I'd love to see that.  ?

1 hour ago, DeezNoNos said:

Can I use TIM as nail polish

No but you could use Arcticlean #2 and have lemony fresh nails.  ?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

(Note: Idk if it's actually safe to do this.)

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

No but you could use Arcticlean #2 and have lemony fresh nails.  ?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

(Note: Idk if it's actually safe to do this.)

lol 

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

5 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

My dad thinks that a gt 610 is on par with a 1050 because they have 2 gb vram

my dad bought a gt 610 for $120

he wanted a gt 730/710, glad i stopped him from buying one

hint hint: we have a spare gtx 760 laying around y'know

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Maybe I will, lol

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

So, I was in a discussion with someone in Discord, and I mentioned how the 470 is the bang-for-the-buck card this gen.  And how when it comes to DX12 and Vulkan games, the 480 > 1060.  But in DX11 1060 > 480.

I got called an AMD fanboy.  

I was like, bitch, I have a 780...

Why do people get called fanboys for being objective?

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

So, I was in a discussion with someone in Discord, and I mentioned how the 470 is the bang-for-the-buck card this gen.  And how when it comes to DX12 and Vulkan games, the 480 > 1060.  But in DX11 1060 > 480.

because they have no real information and are themselves fanboys of Nvidia and Intel and think AMD can only produce shit because thats how the marketing goes

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

because they have no real information and are themselves fanboys of Nvidia and Intel and think AMD can only produce shit because thats how the marketing goes

True, this is the same guy that said you need at least an i7 for gaming.  Then said that x99 i7s are the only real i7s, then said that the x99 platform is only for Xeons and for servers.

Yeah, this is the same guy.

Oh, he also believes you must have at least two 1070s in SLI to push highest settings, good framerates, at any resolution.

Yet here I am playing Overwatch on Ultra at 60 FPS, 1080p.

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I get called an iSheep for pointing out that I prefer iOS over android (design, I already know iOS, longer device lifespan, timely updates) and that battery life is superior in parts where I care (music playback, idle, cell idle) and for me personally, jailbreak >>> root (find something like yt++ on android that performs as good or better.. Good luck.)

and imessage. :) 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

I get called an iSheep for pointing out that I prefer iOS over android (design, I already know iOS, longer device lifespan, timely updates) and that battery life is superior in parts where I care (music playback, idle, cell idle) and for me personally, jailbreak >>> root (find something like yt++ on android that performs as good or better.. Good luck.)

and imessage. :) 

the software isnt bad but the hardware and price is what puts it of for me

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

my dad bought a gt 610 for $120

he wanted a gt 730/710, glad i stopped him from buying one

hint hint: we have a spare gtx 760 laying around y'know

We by did you let him do yhat

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

What games can use dx12 and/or Vulkan though?    Serious innocent question.  I know Rise of the Tomb Raider can use dx12 and Doom 2016 can use Vulkan but that's all I personally know of.  I'm curious what else there is that uses those.  

To answer your question: you can't argue with stupid.  ?    

Do drivers really make that much difference?    

I mean a 480 is supposed to match a 970 not a 1060 I'd heard.  I'm interested to learn what bridged that performance gap.    

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I do prefer Nvidia.  I had a few frustrating experiences with some of my first laptops that had AMD GPUs so it turned me off to them.  

Idk where I got this from but my impression of Nvidia is that they make more technically advanced GPUs that are more power efficient while AMD makes GPUs that perform due to brute force and use more power to achieve that performance.  Like a body builder using steroids.  

I assume that all isn't correct but it's in my brain.  I just don't know any better...  ?

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

True, this is the same guy that said you need at least an i7 for gaming.  Then said that x99 i7s are the only real i7s, then said that the x99 platform is only for Xeons and for servers.

Yeah, this is the same guy.

Oh, he also believes you must have at least two 1070s in SLI to push highest settings, good framerates, at any resolution.

Yet here I am playing Overwatch on Ultra at 60 FPS, 1080p.

An i7 does help but it's not strictly required so he's like 40% right.    You got to love when people contradict themselves.  lol

To be fair doesn't Overwatch have rather mild requirements?  (Not anywhere remotely near needing 1070 SLI I mean.) 

That guy is a special kind of stupid.  lol 

8 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

they make more technically advanced GPUs that are more power efficient while AMD makes GPUs that perform due to brute force and use more power to achieve that performance.  Like a body builder using steroids.  

and THAT is the marketing i was talking about, AMD does draw more power but they are definatly as technically advanced as NVIDIA, and seeing as NVIDIA is the heavy hitter that would be them on steroids seeing as Pascall is just buff AF Maxwell lol

Builds:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What games can use dx12 and/or Vulkan though?    Serious innocent question.  I know Rise of the Tomb Raider can use dx12 and Doom 2016 can use Vulkan but that's all I personally know of.  I'm curious what else there is that uses those.  

To answer your question: you can't argue with stupid.  ?    

Do drivers really make that much difference?    

I mean a 480 is supposed to match a 970 not a 1060 I'd heard.  I'm interested to learn what bridged that performance gap.    

An i7 does help but it's not strictly required so he's like 40% right.    You got to love when people contradict themselves.  lol

To be fair doesn't Overwatch have rather mild requirements?  (Not anywhere remotely near needing 1070 SLI I mean.) 

That guy is a special kind of stupid.  lol 

Gears of War 4, Titanfall 2, and Battlefield 1 use DX12.  
Granted, BF1 sees negligible performance gains on DX12, but Gears 4 is only using DX12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

Here's a more complete list.

Here's a list also with games with Vulkan support

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support

Also, he isn't even 40% right.  

An 860k, FX 6300, 8350, an i3 6100, i5 6500... they all game just fine.  This guy is just one of those elitists who think that you don't have a gaming PC until you pay a certain amount of money for your hardware.

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

1kl5wx.jpg

MY TEACHER IN A NUTSHELL 

>6700k

>z170 gaming
>"i dont overclock"
>"i dont need dedicated graphics"
>uses a MS-Tech "750watt" (it explodes at under 500w) 

>"other powersupplys fail too"

ಠ_ಠ

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

14 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Also, he isn't even 40% right.  

An 860k, FX 6300, 8350, an i3 6100, i5 6500... they all game just fine.  This guy is just one of those elitists who think that you don't have a gaming PC until you pay a certain amount of money for your hardware.

Granted, they will all play games, but some will run games much better than others. If all you want to do is get 30fps in easy to run games you'll be fine with, say the 6100 but more intensive games will require, say, the 6500 to run at a decent frame rate. It's the same for GPUs. You can be fine on slower ones but you'll get a better experience with a more expensive and powerful card. By some definitions some people may not agree that they game fine but it depends more on what you expect from a good experience. 

2 minutes ago, bear-in-the-air said:

Granted, they will all play games, but some will run games much better than others. If all you want to do is get 30fps in easy to run games you'll be fine with, say the 6100 but more intensive games will require, say, the 6500 to run at a decent frame rate. It's the same for GPUs. You can be fine on slower ones but you'll get a better experience with a more expensive and powerful card. By some definitions some people may not agree that they game fine but it depends more on what you expect from a good experience. 

I'm getting 60fps on my 860k, granted I have a decent GPU, but still.

I wouldn't put two 1080s in SLI on my 860K, but for 1080p gaming, it's perfect.

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

I'm getting 60fps on my 860k, granted I have a decent GPU, but still.

I wouldn't put two 1080s in SLI on my 860K, but for 1080p gaming, it's perfect.

It all depends how hard the games are to run. you can get 60fps in some games and others barely reaching 10fps. GTA V runs at 50fps on my cpu but it might run on less on yours (to the point where it's not really playable) or more on other CPUs

17 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

MY TEACHER IN A NUTSHELL 

>6700k

>z170 gaming
>"i dont overclock"
>"i dont need dedicated graphics"
>uses a MS-Tech "750watt" (it explodes at under 500w) 

>"other powersupplys fail too"

ಠ_ಠ

Wat, I think I lost a brain cell 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

7 minutes ago, bear-in-the-air said:

It all depends how hard the games are to run. you can get 60fps in some games and others barely reaching 10fps. GTA V runs at 50fps on my cpu but it might run on less on yours (to the point where it's not really playable) or more on other CPUs

No, it runs pretty decent.  Granted my CPU is overclocked, but like i've said, I have no trouble running anything I throw at it.