Experiences with non-techies

3 minutes ago, 1shanghai said:

And with an i7 7700k and a gt210

i see neither of those components here, IMO spending cash on a nice case just because it looks nice IS a waste of money, looks dont give you more FPS

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i see neither of those components here, IMO spending cash on a nice case just because it looks nice IS a waste of money, looks dont give you more FPS

No just listing the best price to performance setup

/s

Okay, so a while ago now one of the missus friends came around for a music sesh (guitar etc) and left their phone sitting near mine sitting on charge. 

When I went to grab mine their phone went off with a "less than 10% battery remaining" warning and thought since it's the same charger I'd plug theirs in so it wouldn't die on them and didn't think anything more of it.

A couple days later I find out that they've been spreading gossip around (small community, everyone knows everyone) that I hacked their phone, downloaded all their photos and put viruses on it... through a 240v AC socket.

And I'm just sitting here like-

roy-quotes-it-crowd.jpg

7 hours ago, themctipers said:

What's a case?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Is that seriously your's?!? But your sig says you have a zalman z11...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I am the world biggest non-techie :(

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

27 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

I am the world biggest non-techie :(

Even more than @CHEESYnachoMAN4's friend who thinks a case is a bag for a PC? I can't get it to quote correctly because it's on a different page so I'm just going to tag him although I probably don't need to. Still though, why would a case be a bag for a PC

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

Just now, AA-RonRosen said:

Even more than @CHEESYnachoMAN4's friend who thinks a case is a bag for a PC? I can't get it to quote correctly because it's on a different page so I'm just going to tag him although I probably don't need to. Still though, why would a case be a bag for a PC

i did this:

I am definitely not desperately advertising my help thread

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

I work as a IT Support Analyst, Some Gems Include : 

Can you Shut-Down the PC please ? "I have already switched it off" --- That means the monitors been switched off. 
We use IP phones, so whilst on the phone to them - "AFTER the call please reboot the modem....Hello... Hello ??" 
On getting a new PC for them - "Oh you can replace the tower but please don't take the screen as i don't want to lose my files"
Okay and now i'm going to connect to your computer to see what your issue is - SOMEONES MOVING THE MOUSE !!!! - yes that's me. 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

36 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

#shamelessAdvertising

#sellout

anyway just revert your mobo BIOS?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

#shamelessAdvertising

#sellout

anyway just revert your mobo BIOS?

xD

xD

Updated to the kabylake bios. Cant :(

Build

Spoiler

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

xD

xD

Updated to the kabylake bios. Cant :(

so do you NEED the kabylake BIOS? have you tried the GPU in other motherboards? have you tried a different GPU in this board? have you tried reseting CMOS?

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

so do you NEED the kabylake BIOS? have you tried the GPU in other motherboards? have you tried a different GPU in this board? have you tried reseting CMOS?

CMOS, well updating it did. I have alreadfy cause people advised me. My other mobo is brick (maybe...bad bios update). All i have are pre 2007 gpus. And well after that bad bios update all these problems started. The bad bios update on the other mobo.

Build

Spoiler

So the joke has been around for a while but I overheard someone talking about downloading ram...... they were serious too. 

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

34 minutes ago, arbellason55 said:

So the joke has been around for a while but I overheard someone talking about downloading ram...... they were serious too. 

Ah, but it's real! 

http://www.downloadmoreram.com/download.html

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Is that seriously your's?!? But your sig says you have a zalman z11...

Yes it's mine.. Let's say my case was too small for my ego, I mean my GPU 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

At least you know something's wrong. most people would think the motherboard slowed down the graphics because that's completely logical. 

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

So I work at a computer repair place called Millennium 3, and this lady calls me on the phone. She starts rambling on about something on her computer. I could barely understand her but she went on saying she didn't want the "e man" She says that said "e man" chases the fox around and makes it not work. At this point it takes all I have not to be laughing uncontrollably. She goes on that she wants more RAM. Of course, I told her that we could upgrade her RAM in her laptop but it would cost her extra. Upon continuing this conversation, She had RAM confused with the Hard drive. I don't think she ever got it straight even after multiple explanations. She also said she could "smell it get hot sometimes."

Another huge pet peeve is when a customer calls the tower the Hard drive. Anyway, As customers are hilarious, there will be plenty more stories to follow this one from me haha.

7 minutes ago, TheReal_TechGuy said:

So I work at a computer repair place called Millennium 3, and this lady calls me on the phone. She starts rambling on about something on her computer. I could barely understand her but she went on saying she didn't want the "e man" She says that said "e man" chases the fox around and makes it not work. At this point it takes all I have not to be laughing uncontrollably. She goes on that she wants more RAM. Of course, I told her that we could upgrade her RAM in her laptop but it would cost her extra. Upon continuing this conversation, She had RAM confused with the Hard drive. I don't think she ever got it straight even after multiple explanations. She also said she could "smell it get hot sometimes."

Another huge pet peeve is when a customer calls the tower the Hard drive. Anyway, As customers are hilarious, there will be plenty more stories to follow this one from me haha.

Smell it got hot? Wtf? That's like saying you could see with your eyes that a speaker got louder...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

So someone is asking me if they can upgrade their current prebuilt system, or should they buy a new one.  Keep in mind this guy just had an RX 480 lying around.  (Or he might of bought it, I'm not 100% sure).

Anyways.  The computer he has comes with an i5 750 and 8GB of RAM.  So it's a somewhat decent system.  Quad core and it can take up to 16GB of RAM.  

He just has a 350W PSU.

So I recommend several different PSUs and even link the PSU tier list here on LTT, one just happens to be the PSU I have (it's good for budget systems).  He asks about this really shitty thermaltake PSU.  I said no.  
He goes, "is that quality talking or brand loyalty?"
Then when I explain why, he gets all snotty about it.

Like, you asked me for help with your computer.  Don't be a dick when I recommend some at least decent parts over what you were originally going to select.

Oh well, I guess it's like Doug DeMuro does with cars.  If they ask "is this what I should get?"  Just... yes.  They won't listen anyways.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

My dad is convinced that his old x4 build with 16 gb of ram and a r7 240 was top of the line photo editing and will say that a quad core two GHZ from Intel will not anywhere near as fast, he almost bought a pentium four build because of the gigahertz without looking for cores. Literally if I didn't guide him which even then he has a 4460 and 12gb of ram pavilion he paid 360 for, he would literally have a Pentium g3470 build. Either way he learned computers back in the 90's when saying that a 500 MHz CPU was always faster than a 400 MHzcpu had some truth to it 

So back in 2013 I lived in Tallahassee Florida and me and my family hung around this one coffee shop where we knew a few people called All Saints, there was a guy that was a really cool guy who knew a lot about computers and he lived in a van. This was a time where i thought my dad knew a lot about computers, and the guy was talking about being able to download 30 GB of storage. 

26 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

My dad is convinced that his old x4 build with 16 gb of ram and a r7 240 was top of the line photo editing and will say that a quad core two GHZ from Intel will not anywhere near as fast, he almost bought a pentium four build because of the gigahertz without looking for cores. Literally if I didn't guide him which even then he has a 4460 and 12gb of ram pavilion he paid 360 for, he would literally have a Pentium g3470 build. Either way he learned computers back in the 90's when saying that a 500 MHz CPU was always faster than a 400 MHzcpu had some truth to it 

My dad still lives back when jbl and Bose made decent stuff for the price :) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Honestly after this week i just wish owned a mac and a console

Spoiler

liek the problems that come from when I mess up my computer trying the BCLK OC

Spoiler

but then will be able to survive the closed and restricted platform

Spoiler

but then that would mean no more problems cause then i would have no more freedom to fuck shit up. 

Spoiler

and i wanna play around cause then what is the fun then with custom builds

Spoiler

you know what. Imma just gonna sulk and cry myself to sleep now :(

Build

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

Honestly after this week i just wish owned a mac and a console

Reveal hidden contents

liek the problems that come from when I mess up my computer trying the BCLK OC

Reveal hidden contents

but then will be able to survive the closed and restricted platform

Reveal hidden contents

but then that would mean no more problems cause then i would have no more freedom to fuck shit up. 

Reveal hidden contents

and i wanna play around cause then what is the fun then with custom builds

Reveal hidden contents

you know what. Imma just gonna sulk and cry myself to sleep now :(

Bad boy don't talk about your mother like that