Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, henkka_scorpio said:

*snip*

Sounds to me like he was accepting all your claims and just moving on after every point.  Probably just has a lot of misconceptions that need correcting.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of console users are the same.  Difference is, some will be willing to learn, and some will argue to the death xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, brune67 said:

oh goodness. that's just great. I had a friend who, after I built my PC kept asking me for advice on what to get, and then awhile later I go to his house and 

me: Did you get that pc built?

him: Yup here it is.

me: did you follow my advice?

him: nah, we paid someone to build it for me

me:

Yeah it was literally the opposite of what I recommended to him

That sounds just like my other friend. I had a build ready with a 4790K and dual 980ti's and he went with an Alienware X51 because he got have a student discount for $500 off. Which made the damn thing cost only $2500 for an 4690 and a 970 in a tiny non-ventilating case..

His reason... "It has an alien on the front. So it has to be good." I shit you not, I think he says that just to piss me off. 

He makes like $24 bucks an hour so I basically shame him, and he's used to it. He thoroughly regrets his decisions every time he gets a new game. It's great.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh no this was inevitable... and I can't moderate this thread because I'm an active poster :P

Honestly not trying to start a flame war, I think that for a brand new GPU < $100 USD, the 750ti is pretty much THE video card to get. And I've owned Red and Green cards throughout the years (and still have both at home right now). I'm not a fan of either, I rather side with my wallet (relative performance for the budget I have).

That being said, the 750ti is competing on the budget side, and if it was only around 15-20% slower than a 380 then I would agree with his statement, but it's not. Again, the 750ti is a great card, but it's not competing in the same bracket as the 380.

1 hour ago, henkka_scorpio said:

lol Nvidia vs AMD at some point it destroys everything :D.  

The 750ti is nowhere near the 380, but I think that its not what he meant.

If it wasn't the point then I'd like to know what he ment (he did literally say; " it still can keep up with a 380 pretty damn well. ").

Honestly not trolling, if he wasn't talking performance, I am genuinely interested in knowing what he meant by that!

So lets try to keep it civil! :)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

You know that whole thing with the nonsense computer part terminology that (thankfully) seems to have died out?  Looks like you've got competition! xD 

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHZ
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GT 730

Attachcorethingy: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Infoholdstick: 4x2GB sticks

Computerarmor: Lenovo Case

Rememberdoogle: 2 250 Gig Drives

AdditionalPylons: Generic 300 Watt

Letterpad: Lenovo

Buttonrodent: Lenovo

Aural Interface: Sony

Liquidrectangles: 1 1600x900 Vizio TV

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You know that whole thing with the nonsense computer part terminology that (thankfully) seems to have died out?  Looks like you've got competition! xD 

Procrastinator is still king. Which is why I have that as the only one in my sig.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Nonsense! The Revolution will never die!

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

The only story that I can think of right now is that some guy at my school said that the PS3 (what about the PS4?) is better than PC at graphics.

Where do people even get this logic?

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hold on a second! From who's sig did you see that!?!

I shall hunt them down and kill them in their sleep.....

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

8 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Hold on a second! From who's sig did you see that!?!

I shall hunt them down and kill them in their sleep.....

Go back a few pages. I co-founded the thing.

Specs:

One guy i knew worked an electronics store, an old couple comes in saying that their laptop wont start, which is true, no matter what the repair men do it won´t start. They start asking the couple about if they did something and it turns out to clear space they deleted EVERYTHING on their harddrive, which included the operating system. They pretty much just had a shell with some electronics in it now.

12 hours ago, cummerou1 said:

One guy i knew worked an electronics store, an old couple comes in saying that their laptop wont start, which is true, no matter what the repair men do it won´t start. They start asking the couple about if they did something and it turns out to clear space they deleted EVERYTHING on their harddrive, which included the operating system. They pretty much just had a shell with some electronics in it now.

It should still boot, just not into an OS.

Specs:

2 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

It should still boot, just not into an OS.

True, i meant start into something else than the BIOS :)

On 6/29/2016 at 10:31 AM, derick90 said:

In the game of fairness, for the 750 ti being what it is, it still can keep up with a 380 pretty damn well. But top notch?.... ehhhhh.... lol

The 750 Ti amazed me... I was expecting 50fps ish at med settings most games. I got 60FPS at high settings in those games.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

13 hours ago, cummerou1 said:

How the hell did they do that? Windows makes you jump through so many hoops to even access system files.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

5 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

How the hell did they do that? Windows makes you jump through so many hoops to even access system files.

When it comes to people, ability to break things >> ability to fix things :D

I used to work in a computer repair shop and someone came in and asked for his laptop to be reset. We explained that all data will be wiped and he was completely fine with it. He paid the money and left. Once the job was completed we phoned the guy and he came in and checked the laptop over. He opened computer properties and saw 498MB RAM (His laptop was old). He proceeded to shout at me and accused me of stealing 14MB of RAM off of his computer, it took 45 mins of explaining that this is impossible and the guy had to be removed by security because he refused to leave until I gave his 14MBs of RAM back.

3 minutes ago, Phil Powell said:

I used to work in a computer repair shop and someone came in and asked for his laptop to be reset. We explained that all data will be wiped and he was completely fine with it. He paid the money and left. Once the job was completed we phoned the guy and he came in and checked the laptop over. He opened computer properties and saw 498MB RAM (His laptop was old). He proceeded to shout at me and accused me of stealing 14MB of RAM off of his computer, it took 45 mins of explaining that this is impossible and the guy had to be removed by security because he refused to leave until I gave his 14MBs of RAM back.

Not that this is a rebuttal at all - more of just a related statement - but people do need to watch that kind of thing... someone unsuspecting comes in and the shops can take stuff without them knowing.  But yeah you can't steal 14 MB xD  

5 minutes ago, Phil Powell said:

How much usable memory did he have before that? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not that this is a rebuttal at all - more of just a related statement - but people do need to watch that kind of thing... someone unsuspecting comes in and the shops can take stuff without them knowing.  But yeah you can't steal 14 MB xD  

You can't steal RAM capacity at all. Regardless if it's consumed or not, it'll still show up as having whatever total memory the system has. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You can't steal RAM capacity at all. Regardless if it's consumed or not, it'll still show up as having whatever total memory the system has. 

No I mean you come in with 4x 256 MB sticks and they just steal two of them so you'r left with 2x 256 MB sticks.  I think that can be done ;)

I was at my friends pool party and one of her brothers 8 year old friends was swimming and he comes up to me and says "guess what" so I say "what". Of course he says "Ur mom" I proceed to ask him if he has an Xbox. "2 actually". "And I'm guesing you play CoD?" "Ya, I am pro at it" I proceed to lean over to my friend and whisper loudly "PC and CS:GO are better". Kid legit flips out when I say that and he swears at me and calls me a n***a xD I then roast him about why PC is better and why CoD sucks. Kid doesn't talk to me for rest of the day XDDD

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

The moment when you upgrade from a 1 monitor setup to a 2 monitor setup and one of your non tech family members walk into your room and be like. "Wait you have 2 computers now?". I just can't be asked lol 

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHzGigabyte GTX 970 4GB WF3  | Thermaltake Chaser A31 | Z97 Guard Pro

Gaming | Anime | Programming 

I had a client in 2012 say that his new gaming computer wasn't able to play Fallout New Vegas and needed help making it work. After asking him about the specs of his computer, he said he had no idea how to check or what I was talking about. So I schedule a meeting with him the next day and I find that his "new" gaming computer was actually an old Dell computer with a Pentium 4, 2 GB of RAM, Windows XP, and a video card I never even heard of. After asking him why he thought this computer would play Fallout he said, "The guy online said he played Duke Nukem all the time." It took a lot for me not to be sarcastic when I had to break the news to him that the seller was talking about Duke Nukem 3D and not Duke Nukem Forever.
After I found out that he paid $350 for that computer, I felt so bad that I helped him build a computer out of some spare parts I had lying around and some parts I had him buy. Non-techies may usually be bothersome, but in some cases they just need help.

16 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

I was at my friends pool party and one of her brothers 8 year old friends was swimming and he comes up to me and says "guess what" so I say "what". Of course he says "Ur mom" I proceed to ask him if he has an Xbox. "2 actually". "And I'm guesing you play CoD?" "Ya, I am pro at it" I proceed to lean over to my friend and whisper loudly "PC and CS:GO are better". Kid legit flips out when I say that and he swears at me and calls me a n***a xD I then roast him about why PC is better and why CoD sucks. Kid doesn't talk to me for rest of the day XDDD

i agree with you on the pc part but from what i've head is that CSGO's community is absolutely toxic, while the pc community of cod(or maybe it was battlefield not 100% which it was) is significantly better

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com