Experiences with non-techies

3 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

Im surprised how nobody trolled him but all answered nice and politely

That's how it's supposed to be xD 

253px-Nail_board.png?version=729f2b35698

^ board of education :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh no not this again :D  the current state of storage space terminology is a complete disaster. 

Basically the "xiB" ones are the 1024 byte ones, and the "xB" ones are the 1000 byte ones.  However, Windows uses the 1024 system and labels them as "xB" just to mess with everyone.  Then there's RAM sizes... *cries*

So 1 GiB = 1024 MiB = 10242 KiB = 10243 Bytes, which, if we want to convert, = 1.074 GB = 1074 MB, etc

or

1 GB = 1000 MB = 10002 kB = 10003 Bytes = 0.931 GiB = 954 MiB = 976562.5 KiB

The way it was expalined to me in college. Is storage makers use decimal notation. Which is 1000 megabytes to a gig. While the computer uses binary notation which is 1024 megabytes to a gig. Which is why there is a difference. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The way it was expalined to me in college. Is storage makers use decimal notation. Which is 1000 megabytes to a gig. While the computer uses binary notation which is 1024 megabytes to a gig. Which is why there is a difference. 

Yes, that's where that difference comes from.  A drive will say something like "2 TB" (which really should be stated as 2 TB, so they're not really in the wrong) and mean 2 trillion bytes, but windows uses the 1024 system and so it shows up as 1.82 "TB" (which should be shown as 1.82 TiB).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

FFS stop this GiB / GB shit... Dio porco.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

2 hours ago, CandleJakk said:

"Not my fault PC has to mod games for them to be good."

- My friend (the same one who said the next xbox will play games 4k 60fps)

ARGHHHHHHHHASDKJASDLJAL

Has he ever played even one game on pc?

There are plenty of games are good without mods; except garry's mod, but that is a bit self-explanatory. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

14 hours ago, Clonzoo said:

NO! STOP! GOD PLEASE STOP! This is difficult to understand even for people accustomed to tech.

999798_10151782219056262_297200107_n.jpg

I uploaded this to Facebook once, now try to imagine explaining how much space this is to my mom. I ended up saying first that its more then you will have on your laptop in a lifetime. Didn't work. so I went ahead and explained that this is a billion gigabytes, didn't work... In the end I ended up going back to when she got her first MP3 player and how many songs she could fit if she had this much space. In the end it became alot of numbers... I still have a headache thinking back. And my mom has forgotten everything, so all was in vain.

And no, I didn't actually encounter this much space, I'm fairly sure it was nothing but a bug. And for those that don't know, EB stands for exabyte, which is a 1000 petabytes, or a million terabyte or as mentioned earlier a billion gigabytes and so on. and I'm not gonna go into the details EIB or just EB. 

Is that picture real?  Sorry if it's as much storage space as you say then how can that even be possible to have that much space?  

25 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is that picture real?  Sorry if it's as much storage space as you say then how can that even be possible to have that much space?  

He said it was a bug...

And no, I didn't actually encounter this much space, I'm fairly sure it was nothing but a bug. And for those that don't know, EB stands for exabyte, which is a 1000 petabytes, or a million terabyte or as mentioned earlier a billion gigabytes and so on. and I'm not gonna go into the details EIB or just EB. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

He said it was a bug...

Damn, that's too bad. I was kind of hoping a tech had formatted a data center on JBOD. 

7 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Damn, that's too bad. I was kind of hoping a tech had formatted a data center on JBOD. 

You know what's funny?  If you wanted to fill that 8 EiB system, each file would have to be 2 GiB on average or you'd exceed the maximum file count on NTFS xD 

28 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

He said it was a bug...

Sorry.  I read the post but somehow missed the part where he mentioned it was a bug...

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You know what's funny?  If you wanted to fill that 8 EiB system, each file would have to be 2 GiB on average or you'd exceed the maximum file count on NTFS xD 

There's a max number of files you can have?  Scary.  lol

17 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ehh... Most of the file systems we use today were created a decade ago. FAT32 is the perfect example of that... Back when FAT32 was first introduced, 4GB files were unthinkable.

As time goes on, we'll have to update our file systems much like we update everything else to accomodate for the changes in technology and the growth of data that we store/produce. 

6 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Ehh... Most of the file systems we use today were created a decade ago. FAT32 is the perfect example of that... Back when FAT32 was first introduced, 4GB files were unthinkable.

As time goes on, we'll have to update our file systems much like we update everything else to accomodate for the changes in technology and the growth of data that we store/produce. 

Someone should get started on that I'd think.?

23 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Someone should get started on that I'd think.?

There are plenty... They're just not mainstream in the consumer market. ZFS is a good example, or more recently Apple's APFS

51 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Well it's over 2 billion files, so you should be alright ;)

18 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

That makes absolutely no sense. And if you're trying to be funny, congratulations, you found a new way to not be funny. 

I believe that this is the right moment to do this:

image.jpeg

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

When I posted it on facebook I said something like wishful thinking. But yes it was infact a bug. And looking back I wouldn't like having so much space for one reason really. After a while I'd actually realize how much space that actually is and I would far too quickly realize nothing is making a dent and would devote my whole life to using it all in a legitimate way and not just copy pasting Blue Ray 8K movies a few well... Million times? (Can't be bothered to do the proper math :D ) I don't even know if there is a Blue Ray 8k movie out yet, nor how much space it takes 

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

3 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

When I posted it on facebook I said something like wishful thinking. But yes it was infact a bug. And looking back I wouldn't like having so much space for one reason really. After a while I'd actually realize how much space that actually is and I would far too quickly realize nothing is making a dent and would devote my whole life to using it all in a legitimate way and not just copy pasting Blue Ray 8K movies a few well... Million times? (Can't be bothered to do the proper math :D ) I don't even know if there is a Blue Ray 8k movie out yet, nor how much space it takes 

I don't really know either... but that's not going to stop my wild-ass guesses! :D 

Lets see, a normal HD bluray is like, what, 25 GB?  So make it HFR (x2), 3D (x2), 4K (x4) - no, 8K (x4 again)... so that's up to about 1.5 TB now :P hm, what else can we do?

My dad is kind of a weird one, he studied Computer Engineering in University, and coded a few small programs there but still struggles to use a computer today. A few days ago he asked me how to save a file in Microsoft Word. Granted, he's new to Office 2013, but you should still know how to save a text file xD 

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't really know either... but that's not going to stop my wild-ass guesses! :D 

Lets see, a normal HD bluray is like, what, 25 GB?  So make it HFR (x2), 3D (x2), 4K (x4) - no, 8K (x4 again)... so that's up to about 1.5 TB now :P hm, what else can we do?

Not sure if I'd trust you math on that one... But yeah sure! 666666 Blue ray 8K,HFR, 3D movies. Sounds like pure evil...

For some reason I think that if Linus saw this he would be like, HOLY BALLS, I NEED THAT! 

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

8 hours ago, SLAYR said:

Has he ever played even one game on pc?

There are plenty of games are good without mods; except garry's mod, but that is a bit self-explanatory. 

I haven't modded a single game other than Minecraft and I've had a decent experience.............

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

Not sure if I'd trust you math on that one... But yeah sure! 666666 Blue ray 8K,HFR, 3D movies. Sounds like pure evil...

For some reason I think that if Linus saw this he would be like, HOLY BALLS, I NEED THAT! 

Well because those files use special compression algorithms, it's not quite that simple, but theoretically those are the right numbers.  If it was raw footage, they would be exactly correct.  But then, you'd really have issues.  In fact, let's calculate that! :D 

1920 * 1080 * 16 = pixels in 8K image = 33177600 px / frame

3 bytes per pixel (RGB) = 33177600 * 3 = 99532800 bytes / frame

48 fps = 99532800 * 48 = 4777574400 bytes / second

3D (so double everything) = 4777574400 * 2 = 9555148800 bytes / second

Now how long is this movie?  Lets say 100 minutes

100 minutes * 60 sec/min = 6000 seconds

size of movie = 9555148800 * 6000 = 57330892800000 bytes = 52.14 TB (well actually TiB if we want to bring this up again xD)

And that doesn't count audio! (though it would actually be insignificant by comparison)

Or another way of thinking about it is that 8 EB server could hold over 160000 of these videos :D 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Unless it's a Bollywood movie, then it's 3+ hours :D

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well because those files use special compression algorithms, it's not quite that simple, but theoretically those are the right numbers.  If it was raw footage, they would be exactly correct.  But then, you'd really have issues.  In fact, let's calculate that! :D 

1920 * 1080 * 16 = pixels in 8K image = 33177600 px / frame

3 bytes per pixel (RGB) = 33177600 * 3 = 99532800 bytes / frame

48 fps = 99532800 * 48 = 4777574400 bytes / second

3D (so double everything) = 4777574400 * 2 = 9555148800 bytes / second

100 minutes * 60 sec/min = 6000 seconds

size of movie = 9555148800 * 6000 = 57330892800000 bytes = 52.14 TB (well actually TiB if we want to bring this up again xD)

And that doesn't count audio! (though it would actually be insignificant by comparison)

Or another way of thinking about it is that 8 EB server could hold over 160000 of these videos :D 

The numbers you're using here are too large, use scientific notations instead!

But no seriously... If file count were no limitation how many text files, MP3 files or files could I fit. That should keep you buzy for a little while.