Hackers can now take out planes...

SIGSEGV

Sauce: http://www.inkthat.info/hacks/mile-high-hacking/

This has to be fixed pronto, and it's going to be hard to go round and fix every single plane... It's so simple there's a tool in Kali to do it. What are we actually going to do if someone ends up doing this while on a plane that hasn't been patched yet? It could kill alot of people.

“Quite simply put, we can theorize on how to turn the engines off at 35,000 feet and not have any of those damn flashing lights go off in the cockpit.”

With nothing more than an Android phone running open source penetration testing platform software from the Kali Linux NetHunter Project – The New Kali Linux NetHunter Tool can convert Your Android Nexus Device into Hacking Weapons.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

inb4 the military sues google

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

If they really can do so, i'm never flying again.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Watch_Dogs 2 must have this in game !

I love hackers who use their skill to teach men in power a lesson.

But they can't all be good like that...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

this is really not surpising

they did cars a few years ago, 

Watch_Dogs 2 must have this in game !

I love hackers who use their skill to teach men in power a lesson.

But they can't all be good like that...

I just had an idea: wouldn't it be a good idea to get a copy of Kali on your phone so, in case someone did decide to exploit this on a plane and say turn off the engines, you could do the same, except turn the engines back on and undo whatever the hacker did.

this is really not surpising

they did cars a few years ago, 

Cars don't usually have 150 people onboard though

Cars don't usually have 150 people onboard though

touche,  

hack the car to drive into the plane on the runway lmao.

brutal

i'm never flying

this

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I just had an idea: wouldn't it be a good idea to get a copy of Kali on your phone so, in case someone did decide to exploit this on a plane and say turn off the engines, you could do the same, except turn the engines back on and undo whatever the hacker did.

I would think it takes a substantial period of time to get them back up and running, a period of time during which you are in freefall.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

jeez we just need to start having everything. Isolated from each other and now we need some firewalls for airplanes......

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Well you're trusting your life to a hunk of metal riding explosions through the sky all controlled by a mindless slave (a computer) that does whatever it's told to do. Not really surprising that anybody could turn the engines off

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

I would think it takes a substantial period of time to get them back up and running, a period of time during which you are in freefall.

Airplanes are pretty good at gliding. Also they usually don't take that long to start up. Any passenger plane should be able to survive if the engines would be turned off for a few minutes.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Airplanes are pretty good at gliding. Also they usually don't take that long to start up. Any passenger plane should be able to survive if the engines would be turned off for a few minutes.

Yup but you would need to immediately start looking for a landing area, you cant glide forever. 

The quote says "we could theorize" about turning engines off while the aircraft is cruising. That doesn't mean they can.

I'm not trying to downplay the severity of something like this, and the implications are scary, but generally these communities of grey/white/black hat hackers like to exaggerate the dangers of technologies like this. I don't think there is anything to worry about here.

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

The quote says "we could theorize" about turning engines off while the aircraft is cruising. That doesn't mean they can.

I'm not trying to downplay the severity of something like this, and the implications are scary, but generally these communities of grey/white/black hat hackers like to exaggerate the dangers of technologies like this. I don't think there is anything to worry about here.

"we could theorise"=="We don't even want to attempt this"

And people tell me I'm crazy when I say I'd rather take a passenger cabin on a cargo ship than fly.

Who's still alive to laugh now?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"we could theorise"=="We don't even want to attempt this"

Well, maybe. It means "we think its possible, but have no way of testing it". Obviously they don't want to test it (unless someone is really nuts), but it still doesn't validate it in any way.

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

Well, maybe. It means "we think its possible, but have no way of testing it". Obviously they don't want to test it (unless someone is really nuts), but it still doesn't validate it in any way.

Couldn't they just test it on the ground? The brakes on those planes can hold the plane at a dead stop when at full power.

And just because I want to, this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN10RuZ4Bwg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why would a hacker, inside a plane, want to crash that plane? I'd still fly.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

There is a fix that isn't exactly simple but  it goes like this. The pilots need to learn how to fly a plane and the planes need to go back to just hydraulic and analogue systems and problem averted

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Why would a hacker, inside a plane, want to crash that plane? I'd still fly.

Why would a co-pilot, inside a plane, lock the pilot out and crash straight into the alps? Some people want to kill others, just to kill.