Hackers can now take out planes...

SIGSEGV

Its is highly unlikely  for a phone to be able to effect any of the control systems of a plane they all use analog systems. The gps tracking system in separate from the controls Autopilot  is always overridden by any manual input. The entertainment systems are one of the few digital systems on the plane and are not connected  to any serious systems. The in flight phone system is separate along with the newer wifi systems. 

This article was written to scare people and to promote their toolkit nothing more then that.

And it worked, look at how many people in this thread alone are shitting themselves from reading a couple of quotes. Instead of reading the article to see if it's anything to be afraid of they just presume it is and run around screaming like a headless chicken. When was the last time there was a plane crash on a MAJOR American/European airline? Dont want to die, then dont travel with some cheap ass 3rd world airliner.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

And it worked, look at how many people in this thread alone are shitting themselves from reading a couple of quotes. Instead of reading the article to see if it's anything to be afraid of they just presume it is and run around screaming like a headless chicken. When was the last time there was a plane crash on a MAJOR American/European airline? Dont want to die, then dont travel with some cheap ass 3rd world airliner.

Less than a month ago

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Airlines with No Fatal Plane Crashes Since 1970 United States and Canada

Air Transat (1987) 

Allegiant Air (1998) 

Aloha Airlines** 

America West** (1983) 

America West Express** (1992) 

American Trans Air (ATA)** (1981) 

Atlantic Coast Jet** (2000) 

Business Express** (1984) 

Canadian North (1989) 

Champion Air** (1993) 

Falcon Air Express** (1996) 

Frontier Airlines* (1994) 

Hawaiian Airlines 

Horizon Air* (1981) 

JetBlue (2000) 

Mesaba Airlines*

National Airlines** (1999) 

Midway** (1993) 

North American Airlines** (1990) 

Omni Air International (1997) 

Ozark Airlines** (1999) 

Planet Airways** (2000) 

Skyservice Airlines (1994) 

Sky Trek**(1996) 

Southeast Airlines** (1999) 

Southwest (1971) 

Spirit Airlines (1992) 

Sun Country Airlines (1983) 

Sunworld International** (1996)

Trans States Airlines (1983) 

Vanguard Airlines** (1994) 

WestJet Airlines (1996)

source: http://www.airsafe.com/events/nofatals.htm

it also shows most recent incedents @ http://www.airsafe.com/events/last_15.htm

Or you could, you know, confiscate phones to all passengers... not solving the problem but sparing money. For some reason I feel that's more likely to be what they'll do until a plane crashes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So the last one was 15 years ago? Crap im never flying again... /s

Whaaaaaaaaaaat.... The hell, oh crap...

No one died in that accident, the pilot just turned around and landed it... Lol go fear monger somewhere else...

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

So the last one was 15 years ago? Crap im never flying again... /s

No one died in that accident, the pilot just turned around and landed it... Lol go fear monger somewhere else...

So what if no one died? Don't you think that it's a little strange that this happens the day after we find out there's an exploit to hack planes?

having a problem with one thing is so common they don't tell you or have news reports about it.  Listen to some FAA  recording some time on stuck landing gear engine out or flap stuck. you will find hundreds of them.

This was shown off two years ago at least at a hacking convention. That was pertaining that they could hijack the signal coming from the control tower. I imagine that if it hasn't been beefed up its only gotten worse

Airplanes are pretty good at gliding. Also they usually don't take that long to start up. Any passenger plane should be able to survive if the engines would be turned off for a few minutes.

Once a 747 is in flight it can maintain it with only one of its 4 engines. None would be a hit different though I imagine.

So what if no one died? Don't you think that it's a little strange that this happens the day after we find out there's an exploit to hack planes?

No, it's not strange, as someone else has already said, there are 1000's of flights every day, if one flight has an issue it's nothing to worry about. It's just ONE flight, it's not like every plane since this post being put up has had it's engines fail. 

I don't know the odds, but i'd say you probably have more chance of winning the jackpot on a scratch card than dying on a commercial flight.

And when you say "so what", if nobody is even injured, then that is huge, nobody dying (or even being injured) means alot. By the way you say "so what", i'd guess you're pretty young and you don't understand the impacts deaths have... There's a reason they mention if anyone is injured or not. If you're not young, it just proves my point that you're trying to fear monger.

My Build

No, it's not strange, as someone else has already said, there are 1000's of flights every day, if one flight has an issue it's nothing to worry about. It's just ONE flight, it's not like every plane since this post being put up has had it's engines fail. 

I don't know the odds, but i'd say you probably have more chance of winning the jackpot on a scratch card than dying on a commercial flight.

And when you say "so what", if nobody is even injured, then that is huge, nobody dying (or even being injured) means alot. By the way you say "so what", i'd guess you're pretty young and you don't understand the impacts deaths have... There's a reason they mention if anyone is injured or not. If you're not young, it just proves my point that you're trying to fear monger.

I'm not saying 'so what' as in 'I don't care if they die or not', I'm saying that it doesn't change the fact that it's still a big deal.

Just to give you an idea of how often things go wrong, in the 5 years I've been on 747's there has only been two handfuls of times it hasn't broke in a flight.

With landing gear they are gravity drop so that's a non issue. With flaps they are pneumatic primary operation and electric back up. The engines are dead reliable, mostly start issues.

Remember, when jets are being fixed airlines are losing money. so airlines will wait as long as possible until they fix them. Most passangers don't realize the jet their flying on, probably has pages of discrepancies.

I would think it takes a substantial period of time to get them back up and running, a period of time during which you are in freefall.

Gliding, not free fall.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I just had an idea: wouldn't it be a good idea to get a copy of Kali on your phone so, in case someone did decide to exploit this on a plane and say turn off the engines, you could do the same, except turn the engines back on and undo whatever the hacker did.

The problem is that starting engines is not as easy as stopping them.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

The problem is that starting engines is not as easy as stopping them.

True, but it's better than nothing right?

True, but it's better than nothing right?

It's not really possible. I don't think the starter valve has electronic control.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

No planes for me now.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yet another reason why I will NEVER step foot on a plane. I would rather swim across the ocean whilst simultaneously learning how to swim and fighting off sharks than step on a plane.

I don't want to crash and be stuck on an isolated island with a soccer ball as my only friend, thank you!

If they really can do so, i'm never flying again.

You shouldn't fly at all, way too risky nowadays.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Internet of everything means hacking of everything. MY TOASTER!

*insert ghostbusters 2 dancing toaster joke*

Yet another reason why I will NEVER step foot on a plane. I would rather swim across the ocean whilst simultaneously learning how to swim and fighting off sharks than step on a plane.

I don't want to crash and be stuck on an isolated island with a soccer ball as my only friend, thank you!

You shouldn't fly at all, way too risky nowadays.

I'm the same. I'll pay for a passenger cabin on a cargo vessel before I fly.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I don't get it. So they can take out planes on a date? Or take them out the hanger? Or take it our of it's mother's womb?

Its is highly unlikely  for a phone to be able to effect any of the control systems of a plane they all use analog systems. The gps tracking system in separate from the controls Autopilot  is always overridden by any manual input. The entertainment systems are one of the few digital systems on the plane and are not connected  to any serious systems. The in flight phone system is separate along with the newer wifi systems. 

This article was written to scare people and to promote their toolkit nothing more then that.

Quite a few systems on planes are digital. The black boxes for one and most of the navigation have moved to digital on newer planes.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Unless they have full access to the plane's auto pilot or flight controls, shutting off the engine is not that big of a deal. All passenger jets have apus for power and to start the engines on the ground. As long as the fire systems have not been activated, turning on an engine even at 35,000 feet is simple. Planes are still very controllable with no power and can glide down to a runway. The only times this would be a problem is if its over an ocean or a mountain range.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I'm the same. I'll pay for a passenger cabin on a cargo vessel before I fly.

And while everyone else says, "It won't happen to me" before they crash you and I will be alive and maybe slightly inconvenienced on an island at best. :lol:

I doubt there really is anything to worry about.

I'm sure the people in all of the latest, and horrendous, plane crashes thought and said the same. Now they are dead. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |