Atom14 [Corsair] Z97 - GTX 980ti

jkraghify

gpfV1DS.png

Sponsors (Thank you!)

New-Corsair-Logo-Blog-image.png

ATOM 14 - Build Log by Jkraghify

Part List:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler - Thank You, Corsair!
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard 
*Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
**Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
***Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card 
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case - Thank You, Corsair!
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)
Sound Card: TBA
Monitors: Asus VN248H-P 23.8" Monitor X 3 
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse 

*The ram set listed is a filler. I can't find my exact ram set for sale anymore. I have a 16 GB (4 x 4) kit of Team Group 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram

** The storage is also a filler. I cannot find the manufacturer of the second 250 GB SSD. I received it as a gift and know only the size.

***The Video Card is giving me some problems I will be adressing later in the build log. As this build is not yet finished (still in draft phase), the list of parts is subject to change. I am currently looking for a video card sponsorship for this build.

Now, to start the log.

The goal of this project is to create a triple monitor setup that looks awesome on my desk while maintaining my workspace. I am currently a college student at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo studying Civil Engineering and my desk becomes cluttered if I keep my PC and my work on the desk at the same time.
I ventured into triple monitor gaming back in my last apartment, and my solution for space was to velcro the monitors to the wall - which seemed like a great idea at the time.

8uaVJFw.jpg

Now, I didn't think the velcro would eventually damage the wall, but it turned out that our walls were very delicate (they were even torn by poster putty and command hooks) and I damaged my walls.

I want to have the same sort of design, but keep the monitors from touching the walls.

One trip to Home Depot later, I had an idea - build my own wall.

LbY0j02.jpg

JOF0qRf.jpg

5NmWCWG.jpg

The benefits of this design include the looks, possibilities for cable management, places to put the keyboard, and frees space underneath the monitors for papers.

I test fit my monitors on the setup using industrial grade velcro.

8lMzTXq.jpg

zgR4sGD.jpg

I also found that electrical tape looks really nice on debezeled monitors.

gRFJAAN.jpg

qDrTG8A.jpg

And there! All set up! I will be modifying the case soon. I wanted to finalize the placing of cables so I can take my dremel to the case and put a few cable management holes in it. I am also planning on making a PSU shroud and painting the case and case fans.

Enx2Sjd.jpg

I will also be doing a hardware photoshoot when I take everything out of the case. After moving, I wanted to make sure everything still worked. Unfortunately, my GPU refuses to work with three monitors. In no configuration will this GPU work with multiple monitors. I am convinced there is something wrong with the GPU and I am in contact with Gigabyte right now trying to come to a solution. For this reason, I am looking for another GPU source so I can move forward with the triple monitor setup.

A close up picture of the modded K95

Wvo1eUz.jpg

I went ahead and 3D printed a new PC part! Any guesses as to what it is? (I will show what it is used for in product photos coming next weekend!)

5Qu9zHL.jpg

And another view...

gSAz8Ov.jpg

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

Looks so sexy.... followed!

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

Looks gread but i would have put the monitors curved instead

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

That would also look amazing.

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

Looks cool! May I ask how you got the sponsor?

I created the K95 RGB White Base Plate Cover Mod and Corsair really liked it. I sent them a sample of it, and I believe they used the design fin the STRAFE RGB but I am not sure (it's not out yet). They like my work and that's how I got the sponsor. :P I would also say that I got pretty lucky too.

I may try that. I wanted to keep the weight down (more wood = more weight) to keep the desk from ever sagging. I agree that curved monitors would look awesome

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

I created the K95 RGB White Base Plate Cover Mod and Corsair really liked it. I sent them a sample of it, and I believe they used the design fin the STRAFE RGB but I am not sure (it's not out yet). They like my work and that's how I got the sponsor. :P I would also say that I got pretty lucky too.

I may try that. I wanted to keep the weight down (more wood = more weight) to keep the desk from ever sagging. I agree that curved monitors would look awesome

OMG I was going to use that, I was the one asking about acrylic. Now I am debating whether to get that or the Strafe RGB...

OMG I was going to use that, I was the one asking about acrylic. Now I am debating whether to get that or the Strafe RGB...

I think the STRAFE RGB is going to be a big hit. I believe they fixed the keyboard flicker with that board but I'm not sure. It does have a white board underneath the keys though ;)

Looks interesting. Followed

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I think the STRAFE RGB is going to be a big hit. I believe they fixed the keyboard flicker with that board but I'm not sure. It does have a white board underneath the keys though ;)

The only two problems I see with it are the lack of macro keys, and NO VOLUME WHEEL OR EVEN DEDICATED MEDIA KEYS WHY CORSAIR WHYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyy

Wait, are those custom keycaps? Which ones, and how comfy are they, because they look amazing.

Wait, are those custom keycaps? Which ones, and how comfy are they, because they look amazing.

I used this set from Max Keyboards (got it on a massdrop deal)

and since Max Keyboard's G keys don't fit well at all, I used two sets of X-Keys Transparent Keycaps. I had to carefully paint these though since they are clear and not translucent.

They feel pretty much the same as the stock keycaps.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE Sept 6

I have made significant progress on Atom 14. My summer internship ended last week so I have had much more time on my hands recently. Since last time I posted, I have made a power supply shroud, solved my GPU problem, installed a DIY LED lighting kit, and bought a DAC which I just realized does not show up in any of my photographs.

Anyways, I got the three monitors working, so if you are not interested in the PSU shroud or how I hid the HDD with the 3D printed bay converter - keep scrolling! There are lots of improvements in this post.

HDD Hiding: I removed the HDD bay for airflow and because I do not intend on using a disk drive.

MHoLmPq.jpg

Power Supply Shroud: I used the table saw for this one. I cut two pieces of Lexan, then bent the larger piece 90 degrees. I attached these two pieces later on using acetone.

a4k2hHL.jpg

EEhxZNm.jpg

jgDKUsn.jpg

Last Friday I bought a 980ti to put in the build! I have not found the desire to paint it, but I do want to laser cut a custom backplate from acrylic when I get back to San Luis Obispo. (I've never made a backplate before, can anyone give me some advice on getting dimensions right and what screws/spacers to use?)

z8TKjVL.jpg

The screens reflected off the card here. It actually has no blue on it.

6Zbeq7O.jpg

LED kit: I used a house lighting kit I found on Amazon (link) that runs on 12 volts. I connected this straight to the yellow and black wires on a spare molex connector and it works like a charm. 

molex pinout diagram

molex.gif

LEDs installed!

cxCC15E.jpg

dYN4LxE.jpg

rsbWLw7.jpg

mdNmm22.jpg

fyDoFes.jpg

Next on the to do list is to get the LEDs behind the monitors as well. I want to stencil in the build name on the side panel as well. How is this for the side panel?

nHek4lb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome build! Even more awesome to see a fellow Mustang doing said build haha. I don't think I have seen anyone on this forum in my year or so of lurking that goes to Cal Poly. Looking great so far! And I'm digging the logo for the side panel.

Loving the date and time on the desktop where can I get this?

I made my own modification of the rainmeter skin Simple Media. In order to get the clock to show up, you have to use Rainmeter. If you're unfamiliar with Rainmeter, it's a powerful desktop customization tool and I highly advise googling tutorials to learn the basics before trying to download things. It makes the desktop look way better (IMHO) and is fun to use!

Awesome build! Even more awesome to see a fellow Mustang doing said build haha. I don't think I have seen anyone on this forum in my year or so of lurking that goes to Cal Poly. Looking great so far! And I'm digging the logo for the side panel.

Thanks! It's a small world. I have seen one other Cal Poly guy on here but I forgot his username...

I'll post a "move in" update soon. I'm not sure when the time will open up, but hopefully the first week of classes isn't too stressful.

I did get the LED's behind the monitor though! Posted this to my Facebook a couple nights ago.. The "Green theme"

xRiknVK.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey People! Sorry for the slow update - I pushed the PC to the backburner when I got back to school. Also I temporarily broke the LEDs during the move, but it was nothing that some solder couldn't fix!

(Full Imgur Album) (Battlesation Post on PCMR)

Behold:

LTiYuws.jpg

Check out the laser etching! (hint, playing with the laser is my favorite part of the project)

yxi7znM.jpg

Zo1YNa2.jpg

LTiYuws.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey People! Sorry for the slow update - I pushed the PC to the backburner when I got back to school. Also I temporarily broke the LEDs during the move, but it was nothing that some solder couldn't fix!

(Full Imgur Album) (Battlesation Post on PCMR)

Behold:

Check out the laser etching! (hint, playing with the laser is my favorite part of the project)

Loving the LED's behind the screen, and of course, the etching. It looks amazing! 

Also, sick background!

Cal Poly Slo! nice, have a few friends that went/go there. 

Looks very nice and clean. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Loving the LED's behind the screen, and of course, the etching. It looks amazing! 

Also, sick background!

Thanks! I am trying to get EVGA to send me some mounting hardware so I can create a custom etched backplate. I'm also thinking about maybe cutting an anti sag acrylic arm like this one from Puget Systems. Right now the GPU is being supported by a piece of fishing line tied to the disk bay. Not ideal, but it doesn't look bad IMO. It could just look a little better ;)

Cal Poly Slo! nice, have a few friends that went/go there. 

Looks very nice and clean. 

Thanks! I have to make the most of these open labs while I can. I mean - college in the US isn't exactly cheap; as I am sure we both know xD

Before I read anything my first thought seeing those displays are (1) are those poster panels? where r his monitors? and once realizing they weren't (2) MY GAWD! the genius removed the bezel!

Overall setup looks very nice. gj

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)