Hackers can now take out planes...

SIGSEGV

I would think it takes a substantial period of time to get them back up and running, a period of time during which you are in freefall.

It depends, some can be back up in 30 seconds, some a minute. So in theory it is possible to save a plane because it would glide for a few seconds then the fall would not be straight down. It would be possible but you would have to be super quick.

Yet another reason why I will NEVER step foot on a plane. I would rather swim across the ocean whilst simultaneously learning how to swim and fighting off sharks than step on a plane.

I don't want to crash and be stuck on an isolated island with a soccer ball as my only friend, thank you!

You shouldn't fly at all, way too risky nowadays.

You understand today is the safest time to fly in history right? The chances of crashing are super low. Everyone gets scared because of the media and when one plane crashes everyone hears about it. Think of how often a plane crashes and how many flights there are. Oh and you have a better chance of dying while driving to the airport than dying while flying.

Well...that's nothing new...

What are the chances of this happening?

Its not really about the chances, its about this happening at all.

This could cost hundreds of people's lives.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

And while everyone else says, "It won't happen to me" before they crash you and I will be alive and maybe slightly inconvenienced on an island at best. :lol:

I'm sure the people in all of the latest, and horrendous, plane crashes thought and said the same. Now they are dead. :(

I'd rather be stranded on an island in the middle of an ocean, than in a plane plummeting into ground or water (which are equally hard surfaces at a few hundred miles an hour)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

/yawn

Just an other way to be annoying, but not even guarantee a crash. Seems pointless to me.

But than I don't fear things like this because I can come up with much more creative ways and hence I know that if they want to do it, they will so no sense in living a life in fear just because stuff could happen.

The only thing I do wonder about though is why that stuff has wireless access in the first place, seems to me such things you hard wire without outside connection. That be my first thought when designing stuff like that. It is like your business accounting you do on a PC not connected to the net just for the safety barrier.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

There are bound to be a plane or two from time to time with a minor issue.  that Japanese flight did the right thing and every thing is fine no reason to just to the conclusion the plane was hacked.

i wasnt jumping to a conclusion. just think about how you would see it if you had just read this topic, and then saw that article.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat.... The hell, oh crap... 

shit happens in the world. it probably wasnt caused by a hack, but it grabbed my attention

i dont like this digitalized world...

i think in a century or two our civilization will realize that its better to build an analog world with communications as the only digital organ

It's not really possible. I don't think the starter valve has electronic control.

28VDC actuation to open. Signal comes from flight deck Toggle switch. Flight required systems all run directly off a hot battery bus in case of power loss.

If they find a way to mess with auto pilot, there is a big switch on the Mode Select Panel (Selects auto pilot/auto land channels) that says "OFF". Autopilot isn't going to mess with a trained pilot, unless the runway is a cat 3, that jet is landed all by pilot not a computer.

I seriously think that fly by wire should stop being a thing.

I absolutely hate fly by wire, and not even just for this reason. What if the electrical systems for it go down? You're going to be kissing your own ass goodbye.

You understand today is the safest time to fly in history right? The chances of crashing are super low. Everyone gets scared because of the media and when one plane crashes everyone hears about it. Think of how often a plane crashes and how many flights there are. Oh and you have a better chance of dying while driving to the airport than dying while flying.

This year alone I've seen many plane crash stories, and a lot more in my local state. I don't want to put my life in the hands of two people who could very well either die on the job or become suicidal and murder us all  (or something worse, something they can't control), or tempt fate by putting me on a plane right when a crew of terrorists decide to take over the plane. So yea, it happens enough to not risk it, especially with my bad luck.

You can go right ahead and enjoy your plane flights but I'd rather not take such a stupid risk. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

guess who will be driving to LA instead of flying this fall.

^THIS GUY

This year alone I've seen many plane crash stories, and a lot more in my local state. I don't want to put my life in the hands of two people who could very well either die on the job or become suicidal and murder us all  (or something worse, something they can't control), or tempt fate by putting me on a plane right when a crew of terrorists decide to take over the plane. So yea, it happens enough to not risk it, especially with my bad luck.

You can go right ahead and enjoy your plane flights but I'd rather not take such a stupid risk. :)

I don't fly and won't. Yeah you're putting your life in their hands but statistically it is safer than driving. So while the idea of something bad happening is not pleasant it is highly unlikely.

I don't fly and won't. Yeah you're putting your life in their hands but statistically it is safer than driving. So while the idea of something bad happening is not pleasant it is highly unlikely.

I don't put my life in other people's hands, not so directly while miles off the ground where there is no hope of survival if something happens. Because if something happens the likelihood of surviving it is even greater than the incident itself.

I'd rather not risk it, and I don't drive by the way. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

never have i seen such a clickbait article on LTT

nor have I seen this much stupidity from it's users

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

whoever found out about the possiblity to hack planes thanks now all the terrorist know that planes can be hacked and i bet there will be an increace of hackers being hired by them and im sure a lot people will deside not to fly

planes can glide so if the engines turn off there is nothing to worry about except if you have to land at a diffrent airport or the sea

This smells of FUD.

I mean I'm not saying all teh stuff in planes are unhackable or even current tech (planes last an obscene amount of years)

But most of the computers on planes only use satillite positioning to track and moniter their position and altitude which feeds into a naivgational computer. In theory I guess you could make a plane crash. But turning off the engines? lol like no one will NOT notice the distinct lack of vibrations and engine noise.

I would suggest that some sort of vulnerability assessment be performed. It is apparant, at least to me, someone with few skills could obtain the necessary scripts required to run an attack on a mobile platform; the damage from this could be severe. A privilege escalation attack on the antiquated FAA that takes advantage of programming errors or design flaws is a reality. Taming privilege escalation attacks on android devices should be a concern.

Article is nothing but fear mongering.

Flight critical components and systems are usually completely separate from each other, have back up systems and or/are analog.

The thing I would be most concerned about is someone tampering with the signals to the navigation computer and making the pilots think they are off course (not that concerning to me, really).

Even if that some how happened planes still have a few analog navigation systems for basic navigation and if the two systems are a little off the pilots are likely to notice.

Article is nothing but fear mongering.

Flight critical components and systems are usually completely separate from each other, have back up systems and or/are analog.

The thing I would be most concerned about is someone tampering with the signals to the navigation computer and making the pilots think they are off course (not that concerning to me, really).

Even if that some how happened planes still have a few analog navigation systems for basic navigation and if the two systems are a little off the pilots are likely to notice.

Exactly, like I've posted earlier all flight essential systems are run seperately. Autopilot and autoland are easily shut off and often have different channels if one fails. To cause an issue with the FMS, you will have to physically load malicious software from the flight deck.

Pilots will notice things. They make a huge fuss when the pilot and copilot altimiters are as much as 50ft apart.

But most of the computers on planes only use satillite positioning to track and moniter their position and altitude which feeds into a naivgational computer. In theory I guess you could make a plane crash. But turning off the engines? lol like no one will NOT notice the distinct lack of vibrations and engine noise.

Pito Static System is what feeds altitude. When you see airplane crashes because of altitude issues, it's because the probe freezes over.

Again there is no computer for engines. Either you kill their fuel/air/combustion with direct switches or they will keep doing what they do.

Also to add, if you manage to disrupt satalite communications, aircraft have something called INS. It's a 3 position Internal GPS system, also has a battery bank incase of power disruption.

Well I think I have a better chance being in a deadly car accident than being involved in a serious incident caused by hacking a plane but creepy/cool nonetheless.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

This does make me a little bit more nervous about flying on plane now, especially, since I'm going to China a month from now.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

I guess this is what happened to flight MH370?

Maybe it was a government test of it. :\

RIP MH370

hijacked by Aliens

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW