Should Linus Give Away His Personal Rig

kuhchuk

So given the backstory with Linus' rig, it feels like it's got a fair bit of sentimental value to him (especially the case).

I'm just wondering what all your thoughts are on whether or not Linus should actually give away something so personal.

IMHO No. If I won I wold tell him to keep it .... well the case at least I want the RADs and pump :P.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

His wife gave him the case for it, I'm surprised he would be willing to part with it, or she is even willing to allow it, assuming that she knows.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

i think it's ultimately his choice, but i wouldn't want to take it from him

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

NOOO LINUS KEEP YOUR 2ND BABY

umm he has an actual second child.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Perhaps I should have worded this differently.  I know that it's his machine, and he can do what he wants with it, but how many of you would actually be comfortable receiving it if you won?

id like to have it :P  would totally fit our squadron's needs for a new flight sim pc xD

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

He should move the inner parts to another case and kept the case his wife gave him.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The Hardline pc is basically enough not to mention more "powerful" but not as illuminated or special, i really think he should keep it after all he did all the hard work. Oh yeah i personally think it could be the LTT symbol.

Groomlake Authority

He would NEVER give away his rig (at least the case), his then girlfriend now wife bought him the TJ07 which was the first big item one of them bought each other.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

He should at least keep the case... All the things he went through with it...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

To be honest considering the sentimental value it probably holds I wouldn't really want to accept it if I won, I'd just ask could they cobble together a decent rig instead.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I agree with the people saying he should at least keep the case. I remember watching the old rig update videos and how much time and detail and money he put into that project from all the disassembly and sending pieces off to get powder coated it was an awesome transition to watch. It would be am awesome prize if he truely wants to part with it. Shows how much he truely loves this commumity.

Whelp forgot to include a drain valve in my loop, there's always next time.

If he's trying to dump it on us for some reason, then let him get his own top of the line gear and keep his case, he said in his personal rig videos like five years ago, I could just get a new case instead of paying hundreds of dollars but the case is special to me. At the very least don't give away the case.

@kuhchuk if this thread doesn't reach 100k, are you giving away yours?

CPU: i7 4790K Cooler: Corsair H55i Mobo: ASUS Z97M-PLUS Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 32GB Storage: Samsung SM951 128GB m.2 Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD GPU: Asus STRIX 970 GTX PSU: Seasonic 550w Gold Case: Corsair 350D

That deserves a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

@LinusTech we love you, you love us. But you love that rig, and it loves you. Don't end that relationship :P

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

@kuhchuk if this thread doesn't reach 100k, are you giving away yours?

Haha, I never offered :P

He should move the inner parts to another case and kept the case his wife gave him.

If i won it i would ask him to move it to any other extra case they have(they have tons of them lol) and tell him to put it on display in his new office.

I would politely tell it it's it that or i don't want the rig,because i refuse to take that gift from him,unless he makes a video explaining why he is giving it up,and letting us know that his wife is fine with it,but he also better have a good reason lol.

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

Voted yes. Why? Because if I won that I'd be proudly using it, knowing that i's put together with passion and love.

I would and then id send the case back to him and put the stuff in my own

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo