Should Linus Give Away His Personal Rig

kuhchuk

So given the backstory with Linus' rig, it feels like it's got a fair bit of sentimental value to him (especially the case).

I'm just wondering what all your thoughts are on whether or not Linus should actually give away something so personal.

Only if he swaps the case for a different one, because his wife gave him that old school temjin case.

Nothing to see here, move along

I doesn't Linus has a new personal rig? Isn't that why he painted that x99 rog board blue?

I'm pretty sure that is the same personal rig, and it's more the case has been kept through upgrades, if that makes sense.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

At the end of the day, the choice is up to Linus

he feels that he owes the community and wants to give back, by telling him you don't want it, you are denying him the opportunity to give back to his audience which is vitally important to his happiness and success

Refusing a gift is rude, at the end of the day, its just an old pc. I doubt he even uses it anymore.

I am sure Linus cares more about his audience, than a box of metal, I thought it was a really nice sentiment and would love to own a piece of LTT history to look after and care for

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This will be a long post, so tread lightly; these are my opinions.

When I saw Linus say he was going to give away his rig I swear I thought he was going to cry.  I don't think he wants to; I think it's a calculated decision because he's so unsure of how his fanbase will react and he just wants support in the transition.  The first thing I did when I saw that video was tweet Linus to say, "LINUS NO, don't give away your rig!"  

For those that don't understand, Linus' wife gave him the case.  He said in a video that it was the first "big ticket" item she bought him.  If I remember correctly, around the time Linus bought himself his T-Virus reservior he was going to put it in a Corsair 800D.  I don't know if that was going to be his rig, but I assume he wanted the TJ-07 but couldn't bring himself to spend the $350 it costs.  So, his girlfriend at the time must have known how much he wanted it and bought it for him, because after that video I never saw the 800D again.  Maybe it was actually for another build, but whatever.  The bottom line is it was a very personal gift from his now wife, and he spend well over $1000 upgrading, painting, chemical bath stripping, re-powder coating, etc. that damn TJ-07.  There's a reason that the TJ-07 is what they use for MurderBox rigs.. it's gorgeous.  So it's not about the money.  It's about the hours and hours he spent building in that rig.

As far as Vessel goes.  Reading through the cesspool of youtube comments is infuriating.  Do half of the people watch these videos on mute?  Nothing is changing as far as YouTube free content.  Shows and hardware releases will be accommodated.  Aside from that no one would even notice a change if Linus didn't tell them about it.  If he didn't say anything on Youtube or the WAN show no one would have ever even noticed.  I wish people would pay attention. He said it like a dozen times just to reassure everyone.  I see a lot of comments about "Vessel sucks".  So don't watch it.  Go sign up if you want to support Linus, but shut up about it.  Holy balls.

Lastly.  This change is a big deal to Linus, but not us.  It's honestly not a big deal to any of us; our lives are not changed.  Our Linus addiction will still get it's daily fix.  Linus is obviously having a rough time making this decision, but I don't know why his "fans" have to be such crybabies.  I also don't understand why Linus needs seven employees, and maybe that's part of the problem but I don't know what goes on there. They're obviously very busy, but he could save about $100,000 a year by having four employees instead of seven.  Linus, Edzyl to edit, Brandon to camera, Slick for benchmarks, shows, builds, etc.  Another four guys might help them, but it hasn't increased the number of videos put out.  The quality has improved but I don't know if it justifies the tens of thousands of dollars it cost.

Anyway, that's not my business, I just really don't understand.  And I'm not a kid or an idiot.  I'm 29, I work for a business that has 5 employees and makes $5 million a year; so I'm not just naive and have no real world experience.  I just think it's not bright if you're going to have to worry about your revenue source not cutting it.  

Just my thoughts.  

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

But if I won, I would try to talk to Linus about it.  I'd want to ask him, "If I refuse it, will you just give it to the next person?"  "can you just keep it and say you gave it to me?"  Or maybe give me a different type of prize?  Maybe a graphics card or something.  If I talked to him and he said it's really ok, he's ok with giving it away, then maybe I could accept it, but I don't know.  I'd really want to know how he honestly feels about it.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

Nooooo ! don't giveaway His Personal Rig plzz The Hardline Watercooled PC build enough for us

If it got to the stage where it did become part of the give away I really hope whoever won it would politely say so, as everyone else has said it's something special to him. You can clearly see that in the video updates he has done about it. As awesome as it is, I think it wouldn't feel right owning another person's PC which meant a lot to them from the time, effort & specific detail that went into it to make it their own personal thing.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

to be honest, if linus is willing to give away his personal rig than he and his wife might have broken up. im just saying

Errr....yeah.

A case was gifted, yes, but it is just a PC.

Guys, he is not giving it away for free. 100k target will mean a lot of support for him and his family, a step forward with the business he wants to run. 

It is sentimental but at some point in time you have to define your priorities straight to keep moving forward. Looking back is not healthy even if it defines your own safe zone. I will actually congratulate the person who will return LInus personal rig if this should be in place. That's what it takes to be a true person..

So I went back and visited his personal rig series and he stated that there wasn't a better case out yet... So he might've found something better than his tjo7

I would happily take it.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Yeah it would be a definite 'return to sender' for winning that rig, although a post-it with 'pint and a chat?' written on it would be stuck to it when he re-opens it. Just for the lengths he's willing to go to show his viewers he does give two shites. Top man.

Impossible? Yeah, like that's a word...

Well I doubt the 100.000 mark will be reached but that aside, I think he shouldn't give away his personal rig. I'm a very sentimental guy, I get attached to my stuff and I have troubles parting from it (my preciioouuuusss) so I'd never giveaway my personal rig especially if it means a lot to me. It was a gift from his wife, he loves it and its full of memories, he should keep it. What if it will end up in the hands of one of those assholes on youtube that just vomit shit all over the comments, I'd be so mad D:

I agree with you guys, but i think he wants to giveaway his old rig and get a new rig, and selling it or storing it for parts that he is never going to use, doesn't seem like a good use of a rig that he loved. This way he can give it to a community that he knows will take care of it. 

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker

I'm wondering how well it would even hold up during shipping

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

I think he should give away "Linus's pc", but maybe one he rebuilds as a replica ??

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

I don't know how I would react if I won. I'd feel like I was stealing to accept it.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

As some people here said, just the fact that he is willing to part with it for us, shows how much he cares, and ultimately how much he feels we have given him in return.  

But on the other end, the willingness of the individuals here saying they would pass on something so EPIC because they know how Linus feels about his rig, also show that we care, not just that we are techwhores who care not from where these prizes come from. From my perspective, this is the ultimate prize, the community. The helping hands, the understanding, the foolishness and general fun,... LinusMediaGroup already gave us  a lot, and  because of that my answer is no, let him keep it, as a memento. A memento of something personal to him, but also of the importance this community grew to have.

My hat is tipped off to you all sirs. 

I would accept it but keep it (not sell it) and send it back if he ever wanted it :D 

Shouild he give it away? That's up to him.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Linus probably wants an updated rig. I think he should keep it, give it to his firstborn, build an overkill new one and bond like true gamers!

I would be fine with him giving away the internals; but, it doesn't feel right for him to give away the case. If the thread reaches 100,000 then hopefully someone who wins will tell him to keep the case.

edit: After looking at the post count there's almost no possible way of reaching 100,000. I think we'll  be lucky to hit 25,000.

@LinusTech don't give away your rig, just put together a somewhat decent build for the winner.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

He shouldn't give away his personal rig because it has way too much sentimental value to him