Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Steam support is really shitty. Google is better than asking them for help.

My dad using a PC

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.8GHz     Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro     RAM: 16GB Kingston 1600MHz (2x8GB)      GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 Mini 8GB

SSD: Samsung 840 500GB       HDD: Western Digital Black 2TB      HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB    HDD: Seagate 2TB     PSU: Corsair RM850 Fully Modular       Case: BitFenix Shinobi Windowed

Display: ASUS VG278H 27" 120hz 3D Vision 1920x1080

Oh another one of mine is when I found out BF3 wouldnt be on Steam (that moment hurt me a little inside)

Games for windows live, and trying to work out how to use the mac OS for the first time

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Not quite the worst but quite frustrating and recent: Just got a Moto X, the supposed Google sorta flagship phone still is incredible difficult to get used to. I mean if I have more than one google account I shouldn't have to resort to manuals or online help to figure out simple stuff like how to get it to sync bookmarks, how to get youtube to select a different profile for it than the one I have by default for gmail, etc. I still haven't gotten around to deleting the massive amount of contacts google decided to just dump on my phonebook (seriously every single resume I ever sent, their contact is now in my phone book)

I get what they're going for, everything just works with your account with minimal input. But how can you not take into account something simple like multiple accounts for people like me that for example, have business reasons to keep work and entertainment separated yet coexisting on one device?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Internet providers. A imperium trying to sell you 5MB connections but only able to give you 2MB at any rate, and anything above 2MB isnt even stable. i hate C&W Panama, and even more with them being the only ones here due to governament contracts. I hope so much that they get booted next turn and someone else comes with some better deals.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Off the top of my head... Not much just frustration with specific things.

Nuts & Bolts 98 deluxe

Windows/Word crashing losing any unsaved data or corrupting files.

Converting 1080i VC-1 to anything else.

Its a tossup between the time when two of the SSD's in our house died in the same week (they were kingston evaluation copies and one of them died because of a random power loss in our htpc), when my graphics card wasn't compatible with my motherboard, and when uninstalling a graphics card driver corrupted my windows installation.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Trying to draw a comic on Linux using  an 'XP-Pen' tablet. DOUBLE FAIL!!

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Dealing with Microsoft Office, or really any office...

Such a waste of time, and just unnecessary frustration.

Is there actually any decent word processing alternative to word? Openoffice/Libreoffice can suck a bag of d**** and i've yet to find a good word processor for windows. On mac, mellel is the only good word processor but they unfortunately will never port it to windows. I don't mind if it's a paid application as long as it's good (especially with different languages etc...)

Open to suggestions from anyone.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyways back to the point:

Trying to get customer support from google for their products (absolutely impossible and their customer support forum will never resolve your issues)

TN panels that need to be adjusted every 2 seconds because as soon as you move your head a couple cm, the colors will shift and invert. 

Ultrabooks that are un-upgreadable at all (so sad that we are going in this direction)

My ipad 3 with ios 7 (lagging and crashing fest galore!)

Did I mention that the ipad 3 has so little ram that you cant have 3 tabs open in a browser without them reloading when switching back? It's one of the most infuriating things ever. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

my custom loop leaked and it wrecked my 780ti and my sabertooth.

wow... auch...

Youtube comments. I don't even care about Google+ I am talking about the retarded people in it. Also social media for the same reason.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Trying to resize / maximize a window on a mac

Installing a game with 10 floppy disks (oh the good ol' days)

Using an un-jailbroken iphone

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

YouTube/G+

Vista

Windows 95

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

People that use it...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Is there actually any decent word processing alternative to word? Openoffice/Libreoffice can suck a bag of d**** and i've yet to find a good word processor for windows. On mac, mellel is the only good word processor but they unfortunately will never port it to windows. I don't mind if it's a paid application as long as it's good (especially with different languages etc...)

Open to suggestions from anyone.

I actually think word processing is good enough on Open/Libre-office when you compare it to spreadsheets: There is just so much functionality missing from anything that is not Excel 2007+ that it's not worth the effort. I mean you could technically program a lot of stuff to replace missing formulas and other features and such but the entire point of excel is that you use it to quickly generate and change reports on a whim (likely your bosses whim) without having to do hardly any programming just a couple of formulas, pivot tables, little bit of formatting and you're done.

Ideally you should have the time to sit down and code a decent SQL query to give you all the data you need automatically and do minimal cosmetic things on the spreadsheet but if you ever had an BI or any other type of "Excel guy" job you'd know that everybody will constantly flood you with requests for quick and dirty graphs, tables and results and there's (sadly) no replacement for Excel.

-------

Current Rig

-------