Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Letting my sister use my PC to download and use itunes, she went to an unofficial site and downloaded some adware shit, had to re-install windows.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

Letting my sister use my PC to download and use itunes, she went to an unofficial site and downloaded some adware shit, had to re-install windows.

nm87RL8.gif

That sucks for you

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I had some trouble getting a SATA cable off my motherboard once. My motherboard now has one less SATA port. (The rest work fine though)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

I had some trouble getting a SATA cable off my motherboard once. My motherboard now has one less SATA port. (The rest work fine though)

3390182310_f86c82cb95.jpg

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

3390182310_f86c82cb95.jpg

I SQUEEZED THE THINGY. I blame crappy generic SATA cables.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

$200 Volvo 245

I removed RAM from my cousin's PC to look what RAM is it and then I had to go somewhere. When I've returned back home few hours later - I couldn't realise why it doesn't POST. And then, my dad tried to find out what's the problem and when I realised that there's no RAM installed, he said : "Don't do that ever again, because I'll get a heart attack".

Sorry for my bad English!
i5-4590 | Sabertooth Z97 mk2 | Intel HD 4600 | ADATA XPG V1 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Intel 530 120GB | Cooler Master N600 | Seasonic G-450 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Win8.1 Pro x64

I removed RAM from my cousin's PC to look what RAM is it and then I had to go somewhere. When I've returned back home few hours later - I couldn't realise why it doesn't POST. And then, my dad tried to find out what's the problem and when I realised that there's no RAM installed, he said : "Don't do that ever again, because I'll get a heart attack".

We all learn a lesson here: RAM causes heart attacks

Letting someone build a computer for me.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Letting someone build a computer for me.

There's the reality of this world: since there's so much "DIY BUILD A PC FOR YOURSELF VERY FREAKING EASILY", PC builders are getting out of usage. In the future, everyone will be building systems for themselves only.

Sorry for my bad English!
i5-4590 | Sabertooth Z97 mk2 | Intel HD 4600 | ADATA XPG V1 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Intel 530 120GB | Cooler Master N600 | Seasonic G-450 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Win8.1 Pro x64

A couple of years ago I thought that painting your pc would make it faster  :ph34r:

I'd love to see the logic in this xD

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I was troubleshooting the PC and I inserted a RAM Dimm backwards :blink: . I destroyed one of the two slots on the mobo. The RAM was already dying, so no harm there :)

This is why people say not to force anything while building a pc.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

When I was building my dads PC I had everything setup and ready to go but it wouldn't turn, as in the fans would go on for a second then turn off. I was on the internet for half an hour trying to find a solution, then I looked up and saw an empty 8 pin CPU connector...

Mirror's Edge 2. One day.

Nope. I have an AGP X1650 Pro 256MB that I'm using now. BOW DOWN TO ME!!!

And I use an ATI RAGE PRO LT 4MB in my old laptop that I still use fairly often.

I also have a X1650 but it's PCI-E and 512MB, still pretty crappy.

i'm a potato

Purchasing a dell mini  :(  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :(

"Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel. You can’t always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving… You will come to a better place”

When I had my P4 system my dad had upgraded to a Phenom II setup so I got his Core 2 Duo that he used for years. It was the first motherboard/CPU that I got where the pins were on the motherboard and I somehow screwed up several pins when replacing the thermal paste.. I kept using my P4 until I got my current system.

$200 Volvo 245

Mine was trying to remove a CPU cooler without first running the system to warm the thermal paste up... ripped the CPU straight out of the socket and had to spend about half an hour trying to get it off the cooler without bending a pin. In the end I did end up bending a pin but somehow managed to force the CPU back into its socket (taking a bit of a liberal approach to the whole 'zero insertion force' concept) without killing anything.

This statement is false.

Mine was about 2 months ago when I installed Ubuntu on my lenovo z570 laptop and then wanting to get rid of it. I took out the hard drive and the wiped it with another computer. When I turned the computer back on grub came up and I couldn't get rid of it. Turns out when I installed Ubuntu I installed as a OEM and it permanently wrote the bios to boot Ubuntu first.

The computer is now used as a surface to put drinks on.

Have you tried fixing the MBR?

i'm a potato

I'd love to see the logic in this xD

See that grey stupid looking BMW 3-series over there? Now look to your right, it is a matte black BMW 3-series. Of course, the matte black BMW would be the fastest!

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

I just remembered one that is pretty bad, it isn't my fail but a fail I witnessed. It goes like this:

It was in my english class and my teacher was really bad with computers, she called me once to close Word, WORD *facepalm*, she also didn't know how to use the projector so she would handle the remote to someone in the front row.

So we were doing some exercises and she was on the computer doing her thing, normally looking up more exercises. She had left the projector on freeze so that we could do the exercise. This time she had given the remote to another person, let's call him Bob, Bob wasn't a good student, he had poor grades and bad behaviour. He thought he was really funny (he wasn't he was annoying as hell) so he decided to play a prank on the teacher and he took the projector out of freeze. He did it and instead of people yelling because the exercise was gone there was silence and a lot of faces like O.o  0.0 O.o, why? The teacher was watching p0Rn, she didn't realise what was going on until one guy just started laughing his *** off. So the teacher got suspended but not fired for some reason, she was my teacher the year after -.- . 

She is also:

1. The worst teacher in the school;
  2. The teacher that everyone, EVERYONE hates;
  3. The reason my school has p0Rn filters.

EDIT: Fix typos

i'm a potato

Going on holiday for 2 weeks and leaving my laptop switched on and plugged into the wall - My battery charge doesn't last more than 10 minutes MAX!!

Als0, Not me but my dad was tricked into buying £100 tablet "antivirus" software - It does NOTHING!! (Sometimes updates itself and that's it  :mellow:)

"My Profile Picture Says Everything You Need To Know About Life"

Once a friend of mine spilled red wine on his laptop keyboard...

He bought a new laptop, and a couple of years later he spilled red wine into a plastic bag containing the laptop... It was in there for hours, but somehow still works

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Inserting a cpu back into a mobo without replacing the silver, or better yet upgrading to windows 8 from windows 7 instead of a fresh install.

Can be found on my profiIe