Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Plugging in a new case fan with the PC turned on. Didn't destroy any parts thankfully, but blew up one of the LED's on my keyboard. To this day I'm still not sure how that happened.

True.

Unfortunately it really happened but the liquid only got on the ram chips so I was fine

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

A series of events for me.
1. I was laying my case down on its side and my fingers slipped dropping the case from maybe 160 degree angle to flat(180).

2. Computer wouldn't boot checked everything!. Last resort was to check CPU, I tried removing the heat sink and cpu came with it...

3. on experimenting with multiple cpus on the motherboard, i accidentally hit the cpu pin onto the motherboard locking pin/stick and bent some pins.
4. at the time i didnt watch Linus's videos(NCIX) and i only just realised it was linus's video i watched. Learnt how to unbend the pins to my Phenom 955.
5.ordered a "refurbished" motherboard from ebay and the ethernet port and audio is busted within one week to a month.(not my current gigabyte board)

Edited by Richyo

My Rig - Intel 4670K (4.3Ghz) Cooler Noctua NH-C14| Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H | 16GB GSkill 1866MHz | Gigabyte 7970 OC  | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Thermaltake Overseer RX-I  | Thermaltake TP Qfan 750w

Brothers rig- AMD FX-6100(4.1 GHz) | Gigabyte 990FXA -D3 | 8GB GSkill 1866MHz | Sapphire 7870 Ghz OC  | Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb | Antec 900 v3  | Antec Neopower Blue 650w

I was waiting NFS World to load up so i started to press the keys randomly

but the game loaded up OR perhaps it saved all the key strokes, so they worked

and I accidentally erased my user and my achievements

I had a Lamborghini, Now I drive a VW

Had a bit of money to buy a upgrade so i got a GTX650 to replace a GTX 545, realized it was a pointless upgrade then got a 660 later on.

I had an old battery operated radio and thought it would be a good idea to see how it copes with 240v from the mains when I was about 14, it didn't cope well lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

knocked the huge tv over face first onto a hardwood floor

I imagine the TV wasn't too happy about that

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

• 5 weeks later...

Hi! I'm gonna try to start a thread just for fun.

Here you can post the stupidest, most embarrassing thing you've done that is PC related.

EDIT: Let's make it 'The most stupidest thing you've said, heard, or seen that is PC related'

Please dictate if you've heard it, seen it, or done it.

FIRE!

I bought a prebuilt pc. (A year ago, I built a new one 2 months ago) Oh, and I got a 2nd gtx 550 just for sli, some people consider that a fail :)

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

I poked my 8pin while it was on the other day and shut off the computer. I haven't done anything really stupid.

We have multiple threads on this subject already.

I do a lot of research before buying or doing anything so I can't really think of anything stupid that I've done, I'm sure there was something though :D

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I accidently inhaled a good amount of compressed air while cleaning my PC. Had a massive headache and my eyes really hurt for a few hours.

Also, I power shut-off my PC during a Windows update. Completely ruined the OS, couldn't even re-install Windows. I had to buy another license.

Intel i5 3570K - ASRock Extreme4 - Corsair Vengeance 8Gb RAM - ASUS GTX 660 Ti - Samsung 840 250Gb SSD (OS-Games) - WD 750Gb HDD (Storage) - Corsair TX650W PSU - Corsair 300R

Thought I did a good job building cabel managament and all that, tried to turn my PC on and realized I forgot to install the PSU xD

That is the best thing i have ever heard. :D

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Bought a GT 620.

Still have it.... shame. (August 09 2013.)

STILL have & use it... Shame.

EDIT - (9-18-14/18-9-14) I have a pile of graphics cards sitting behind me now.

from top to bottom

1. GT 620
  2. HD 4870
  3. HD 7750 (bricked via bad bios)
Edited by Lanoi

Its not exactly PC, but I was fiddling with one of the new HP ProLiant DL360 G8's at college, and had it out on rails. I had finished doing what had to be done, and went to slide it back into the rack when I knocked the cabinet and the screwdriver on top rolled off and hit the PCB head first. It never booted again....

There wasn't any physical marking so we managed to RMA it and get a new unit. I don't want to think about what would have happened to me if we couldn't..

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

Built my entire system (sig) from locally bought parts from Fry's Electronics and Best Buy. Could have built it a lot cheaper or a lot better while spending the same if I bought over the internet, but I wanted to support our local economy and I hate waiting for parts to arrive (mainly the latter). 

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)