Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

/\ This!

My last desktop was an xps. That coupled with vista. Just no!!

A friend of mine bought an xps for gaming. It had 16gb of ram, an i7, some mid range Nvidia notebook graphics card and cost him about £800 after his MOD discount. He knew much less about computer performance back then and thought that you needed lots of ram and an i7 for gaming. 

He bought it about a year ago and in its current condition it melts his lap and sounds like a hair dryer when ether he starts up any game. Sad times :'(  

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Brink and saints row the third didnt even fucking work because of my 6870

Saitek Cyboarg Keyboard... it had lights 'n stuff, was about 80 bucks. 

End of the story the build quality was terrible and it broke after like half a year.

A friend of mine bought an xps for gaming. It had 16gb of ram, an i7, some mid range Nvidia notebook graphics card and cost him about £800 after his MOD discount. He knew much less about computer performance back then and thought that you needed lots of ram and an i7 for gaming.

He bought it about a year ago and in its current condition it melts his lap and sounds like a hair dryer when ether he starts up any game. Sad times :'(

lol i kinda feel bad for the guy

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Might aswell share a horror story that i posted on Teksyndicate a while ago.

My cousin was staying with me for a couple of days and we were playing some tekken on ye olde xbox 360..

then we started talking about some old games we used to play.

warcraft 3 was mentioned and we quickly decided to get my oooooooold computer (an old fujitsu siemens from the beginning of the win XP era)

out of my garage. we set it up with my old G11 keyboard and my gamestop mouse (classy right?) and my old monitor.

pressed the start button and it booted up just fine. WC3 and the expansion was still installed and after a quick update it was working without any problems.

we raided the fridge and soon we where halfway through the first match against a couple of insane ai.

and my cousin said "i don't remember this computer being this loud" and he was right..

the cpu fan was making this "WRRRRRRR" sound that i guess is quite understandable since i have sanded doors and done alot of dusty stuff in my garage.

but we didn't pay it much more attention.. until the old relic just shut down. turns out.. wood dust and metal filings are not good for your computer.. and wood dust is flammable.. 

why it didn't start smoking and flaming before this is still a mystery... Thinking quickly we threw it out the window and into the snow..

after that i decided on 3 rules that i still follow. 1 case must have window. 2 clean the computer on a regular basis

and 3 never start a pc that's been in storage for over 5 years before having a look inside

Bricks where shat that day..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

lol i kinda feel bad for the guy

Well he now has a 7950 which he just stuck into some older dell itx machine he had and uses that to play most of his games :) 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

My worst purchase would have to be either my current case, or current motherboard. Leaning towards the motherboard getting the honour, though. Case is a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1, not much (not any) noise dampening in the case, so it's rather loud, and the motherboard doesn't have a front panel USB 3 header, which is a bit annoying, also doesn't have right angle SATA ports, so my triple-slot 670 with a long PCB or cooler (not sure which is the problem) blocks them off.

Logitech g35

and logitech g400

I hate Logitech now -_-

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

Bought a retina macbook pro. soldered in ram, so I had to get the 16gb option, and had to get the higher clocked processer and 500gb ssd too. Ended up being around 2800. Way too much for what I got. 650m too. 

Bought a retina macbook pro. soldered in ram, so I had to get the 16gb option, and had to get the higher clocked processer and 500gb ssd too. Ended up being around 2800. Way too much for what I got. 650m too. 

lol that is adorable!

why did you get a mac in the first place?  :lol:

- Geforce 5200 FX 

- DDC pump

- Dell Latitude D620

- Razer Lycosa

lol that is adorable!

why did you get a mac in the first place?  :lol:

artsy schools like the mac

I bought a pair of those Gunnar gaming glasses, only wore them once...

Bluetooth dongle - it was to get my wii mote to work on the dolphin emulator

it was listed as a compatible device but it would let me install the bt stack if i remember correctly

it was only $35 and fortunately it's my worst purchase and not something massively expensive

20130517_211240.jpg

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

brought a second hand ATI 4870x2, thing never worked

Did you buy it in person or have it posted to you? I got a second had gtx 580 which powered up but wouldn't display a signal. Luckily your man was a decent bloke and gave me a full refund. Second hand PC sales have to be carried in person if you stand any chance of not getting screwed. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Logitech g35

and logitech g400

I hate Logitech now -_-

Gotta agree with the G35,

gotta disagree with the G400, it is the succesor to the MX518?  :huh:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

artsy schools like the mac

Cute, I would be like NUH UH!

Gotta agree with the G35,

gotta disagree with the G400, it is the succesor to the MX518?  :huh:

Yeah the mx518 was great but the g400 is a joke

I don't feel like explaining

Seriously though, couldn't be happier with the Zowie EC1 EVO <3

My computer. Could have made a much better one for the same price. At the time I didn't know I could.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

I bought a Razer Lachesis and instantly had buyers remorse. It felt weird and my arm muscles weren't used to it. It took me two weeks to get used to it and I loved it's accuracy and polling rate. It's been 3 years later and I am still using it and my RSI in the wrist from using my old mouse went away.

So I have to take the good with the bad.

My computer. Could have made a much better one for the same price. At the time I didn't know I could.

Awhh don't worry, alot of people make that mistake! :(

Eventually you can get a new one? eventually?  :D

Nokia Lumia 800. Work of advise. DO NOT GET WP7!!  lack of apps (but abundant with poorly made buggy crap) locked down more than early iPhone. I love the phone, but the OS just it vile. I wish I could just stick android on there and be done with WP7 forever. I will NEVER buy another Windows phone again.

PC: EVGA GTX680, i5 2500K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Gigabyte Z68-GA-UD3P, 120GB OCZ SSD, 2x1TB WD Greens, Corsair 600t, Corsair AX750, Corsair H100i, ASUS MX239H, Corsair K60 + M60. 

do In-Game purchases count?

if so, i bought the GF-40 Rangers in planetside 2, just before the G30 walkers came out...

Logitech g35

and logitech g400

I hate Logitech now -_-

I have a G400. There's nothing wrong with it, except possibly the shape. The shape works alright for me, though my Zowie AM is better.

8gb 4th gen ipod touch, IOS takes up 2gb so it is almost useless.