Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Upgrading to 4 gigs of ram with a 32 bit os lol :blink:

thats not that bad. the 32bit os should be able to use most of it.

Built my entire system (sig) from locally bought parts from Fry's Electronics and Best Buy. Could have built it a lot cheaper or a lot better while spending the same if I bought over the internet, but I wanted to support our local economy and I hate waiting for parts to arrive (mainly the latter). 

Free 2 day shipping from amazon :D

However for me…buying an iMac. The regret is I can't upgrade the graphics card which is truly the main issue I have with this computer.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

My side panel fell on my 660ti and the top dvi port no longer works.

Edit: I also used the wrong power cable (12v) for my external 2tb external hard drive (5v).

We have multiple threads on this subject already.

I do a lot of research before buying or doing anything so I can't really think of anything stupid that I've done, I'm sure there was something though :D

Bought 2 Hydrocopper Titans? :L

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

bought a computer a long time ago at PC World and bought what is said to be a 'gaming' computer which had a AMD Radeon HD 5570 and the bloody thing cost us over £1000!

something wrong with titans? The only thing I see aproblem with is that the price is quite high, but you do get 6GB of VRAM which some people may need.

something wrong with titans? The only thing I see aproblem with is that the price is quite high, but you do get 6GB of VRAM which some people may need.

Buying the Hydropcopper ones is what I was pointing out, assuming the Titans were bought before the 780 was released, instead of buying a Titan and putting an aftermarket water block on it.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

YOU might consider that stupid, and I completely understand why. I personally think it was a great purchase and I'm very happy with it. 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

YOU might consider that stupid, and I completely understand why. I personally think it was a great purchase and I'm very happy with it. 

Yes I consider that to not be the best idea, that's why I wrote it.  Obviously you thought it was a good idea or you wouldn't have bought them.  You seem to think it wasn't the best decision though as you say you understand why I would think that.

Bought a laptop.

Laptops are quite good if you get the right one.

I bought an alienware (years ago when I was 14 ish and was enthralled with the ideas of LED`s), literally the worst purchase as i now cant bring myself to use it in public, also price to performance was horrid =/. Well atleast i have my tower...sigh

Yes I consider that to not be the best idea, that's why I wrote it.  Obviously you thought it was a good idea or you wouldn't have bought them.  You seem to think it wasn't the best decision though as you say you understand why I would think that.

That means I understand your perspective but I don't agree with it. Keep in mind that these were bought months before the release of the 780 and in my opinion the hydro copper block is the best looking one and fits my build best. Also this was my first time doing a watercooled build, so I wasn't 100% comfortable with installing a waterblock on a GPU. I understand the price is high, but in my opinion it was worth it and I don't regret a thing.

Now to contribute to the thread: I actually thought of the stupidest PC thing I've ever done, one of my first laptops was a mac book :D I had a very small understanding of tech and I was also very young, but now I understand that it was kind of a stupid purchase!

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

When I build my first system I didnt install the raisers on my mobo. powered it on... no more processor or mobo...lol the second dumbest thing that I have ever done was plug in 2 computers and 5 monitors to a power strip without surge protection. I blew the circut breaker and fried one of  the power supplies in the process. I learned from my mistake many years ago. A friend of mine had two pumps on his watercooled system that were supposed to be in series. he didn't notice that they were pushing against eachother and no water was in the rest of his loop. fried most of his components from the heat they produced.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 @4.2GHZ | MSI 970A-G 46| Gskill Sniper 2X4GB 2400| Samsung 840 EVO 120GB| NZXT Phantom 410 gunmetal|

Apevia 680W Iceberg| HIS R9-270X| WD green 3TB| 

I used a 30GB SSD for a boot drive...

Did that leave you with a few GB for games then :P

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Done: Spilled MILK on my computer causing it to short and fry EVERYTHING.

Heard: Internet explorer is the BEST!

Seen: A computer running in a motherboard box as the case.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I got all worried about tripping and falling on my pc while carrying it, that it slipped out of my hands and tumbled down the stairs!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Heard: Internet explorer is the BEST!

rofl I like it, who told you that because I'm curious of the individual

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

rofl I like it, who told you that because I'm curious of the individual

an irl friend/clanmate. I taught he was smart because he plays RTS games .etc. time to get better friends!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

But I didn't, sadly.

what one did u get?

what one did u get?

Asus A52F, it's a good laptop just not meant for what I want it to do.

Asus A52F, it's a good laptop just not meant for what I want it to do.

how much was it?

I dropped a magnet on my harddrive

How just how

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers