Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

My Nvidia Gt 640 after 6 months of use the sofware say's that the GPU usage is 97% while i'm doing nothing.. 

Sounds like a driver problem or somethign is actually running cards don't randomly load themselves.

My AMD Athlong X2 5000+ it was 86$ when i got it and was by no means high end but was a huge improvement over my Athlon 3200.

My wife's wedding ring?

Just kidding, I'm only 17 but it's surprising that no one has said that yet.

Awhh don't worry, alot of people make that mistake! :(

Eventually you can get a new one? eventually?  :D

That is the plan, hopefully some time this year.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

i think ive done a few silly things first: dropping core 2 duo onto the socket and bending the pins that was an expensive mistake

overclocking p4 to 4GHZ   well lets just say it didn't last too long

and changing hard drives on my laptop so much the sata port no longer works

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

i think ive done a few silly things first: dropping core 2 duo onto the socket and bending the pins that was an expensive mistake

overclocking p4 to 4GHZ well lets just say it didn't last too long

and changing hard drives on my laptop so much the sata port no longer works

lol that reminds me of the top usb ports on my cm690 we had it on the floor and stretched mouse and keyboard over to our sofa. Usb ports are now a total mess and will never work again : )

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

To much conductive thermal paste... bad for CPUS when it drips under them.

lol yea they don't like it too much :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I wil have to say when i just got my first fan controller from my brother (A sunbeamtech) i managed to connect the wrong thing into the powers so next time i pressed the POWER button a bunch of smoke came up xD

Other than that it has to be that i told people that i know my way around computers.

One of the MOST annoying things in the world is if people know that you know anything about computers they think you know everything about every shit program in the world like iTunes which i hate because it's made by apple and ofc. that it's shit!

- Frustrated tech g33k!

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

After hours of building my first rig i start plugging in the pheriperals only to realize i had forgotten the I/O plate. Lesson learned! :)

After hours of building my first rig i start plugging in the pheriperals only to realize i had forgotten the I/O plate. Lesson learned! :)

I almost did that to Mother's PC when I built it. Luckily I had only just put the mobo in but  I ended up cutting mself when removing the mobo.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

The I/O plate isn't that important. It's mainly used for helping to protect the inside of the chassis from dust and random objects.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The I/O plate isn't that important. It's mainly used for helping to protect the inside of the chassis from dust and random objects.

Which makes it somewhat important, i hate dust in my case. I'm lazy and if my case can hold the dust out that's a really good thing! :D

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

My worst computer mistake was installing WoW

Rig (laptop): MOUNTAIN GTM 17ivy, 17,3'' 1920x1080, i7-3630QM 2,4/3,4 Ghz 4c/8t 6Mb, 16GB RAM, RAID 0 120GB, NVidia GTX675 2GB.

Peripherals: Shitty Laptop cooler, Razer Naga (2010 Edition) and Razer Megalodon.

Forgetting to put thermal paste  <_<

Almost borked my processor...

yeah... i did that to 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Buying a CM Silent pro m2 

1: CABLES ARE UGLY FLAT STYLE

2: WHY THE F*CK are the sata power connections upside down?!?!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Buying a CM Silent pro m2 

1: CABLES ARE UGLY FLAT STYLE

2: WHY THE F*CK are the sata power connections upside down?!?!

I actually have the same power supply and i don't see how that can be the WORST thing you have ever done within computing. The PSU is in good quality + good quality cables in comparison to chieftec and a bunch of other brands.

My worst mistake was getting into computers in the first place

Tea and computers don't mix. :angry:

I was writing an English essay back in school , my old laptop charger slipped out of the port(thanks to a really crap loose design by dell). Fell into a cup of tea that I had by my foot.Picked it up without noticing plugged it back in, it ended up melting the connection and blowing a couple of transistors inside.

Most recent one had to be plugging a 12 volt connection into a dying usb to sata adapter. It ended up going down the cable and blowing my motherboard, had to send it back but fair play to ASUS they didn't give me any hassle and just replaced it.

Dell

Also this.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I was writing an English essay back in school , my old laptop charger slipped out of the port(thanks to a really crap loose design by dell). Fell into a cup of tea that I had by my foot.Picked it up without noticing plugged it back in, it ended up melting the connection and blowing a couple of transistors inside.

Most recent one had to be plugging a 12 volt connection into a dying usb to sata adapter. It ended up going down the cable and blowing my motherboard, had to send it back but fair play to ASUS they didn't give me any hassle and just replaced it.

Also this.

That is unlucky lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Prepare for the most stupid thing you've ever heard.

This was back when I was fairly new at computers. I had just got a new motherboard, and I moved everything from an old HP case to a case that my dad had sitting around. Everything was in, but it wouldn't work, or so I thought. I had plugged the monitor cable into the motherboard input instead of the graphics card. .-.

I had turned it on and off over and over, tinkering and then starting it up, to no prevail. I go to unplug everything to look at it closer, and I see another monitor input where the graphics card is. Long story short, I plugged it in, turned it on, and it worked, I just had to reinstall my os. Talk about a blonde moment. xP

SKYWALKER:

Motherboard: ASUS m4a88t-m le Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 CPU: AMD Athlon II 645 x4 3.1Ghz (OC 4.0 Ghz) CPU cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Ram: 8gb (2x4) ddr3 Corsair Vengence HDD: 1tb seagate barracuda PSU: Thermaltake TR2 430W OS: Windows 8 Case: Raidmax Seiran (White&blue)

i did that one on my 3rd computer what i ended up doing is just pushing it in from the outside 

I had the side panel off my case next to my desk. Knocked my soda over and it spilled on the motherboard while it was on causing a short around what i think was the sata controller. Instant freakout and cleaning session commenced and it's still working 2 years later in the gf's computer :D

My worst mistake was getting into computers in the first place

Same here sometimes when you're trying to diagnose a fault and the PC isn't playing ball

When I was like 6 or 7, I got my first computer that ran Windows 95. I managed to set the computer to boot into DOS mode, and never could figure out how to get back into Windows. I went for months without being able to use the computer, and I feel so silly because I later learned all I needed to do was type "win" into the command prompt and press enter.

I couldn't figure out why my phone wasn't responding for a while. I kept pulling the battery out, holding power, etc, etc. 

I realized after about 10 minutes that battery was dead.