Mercedes Chief Laughs at Apple's Rumored Self-Driving E-Car

mercedes%20chieftain-1424720103080.jpg

Its not surprising to see that MBs head would have such comments against Apples plan to make a car, because Apples choice is crazy. The automotive industry runs off razor thin margins and is brutally competitive in a way that Apple has never had to put up with before; getting people to spend 700 on a phone is one thing. 70,000 on a car requires a little bit more than just the badge. 

The industry has also been unkind to recent startups in the sector, Tesla is the only that one brute forced its way to being very relevant. What I do see is that Apple is determined to make Project Titan a thing. Either it will be a fantastic failure, or fantastic. With the amount of money they are dumping into this, with employees and engineers and everything else, they're taking it seriously so say the least. 

To Mercedes, since I like you guys, don't let hubris get in your way. You know the last company that questioned the ability of a PC maker to make phones? Palm. They don't exist anymore. The other company that dropped the ball on the product they themselves created? Kodak and the digital camera. Go see how well Kodak is doing. 

I'd be wary and take it seriously, if I were them. Apple is a company, if they wanted to, could straight up buy these automakers and enter the field that way. I'd like to think their current plan has a little more thought and care. 

“If there were a rumor that Mercedes or Daimler planned to start building smartphones then they [Apple] would not be sleepless at night. And the same applies to me,” he told Australia's motoring.com.au.

Zetsche thus swatted down a week’s worth of feverish speculation that Apple was about to build a self-driving electric car. Rumor-mongers cite Apple’s recent hiring binge among car technology companies like Tesla and A123, the battery company.

Tesla and A123 are known more for their electric-drive technology than for self-driving savvy, but the theory is that Apple, formerly known as “Apple Computer,” would naturally gravitate to the software side of things.

Apple does have the wherewithal to make cars. Its market capitalization—the value of all its shares—today stands at US $766 billionmore than any other publicly traded company. At the end of 2014 it had $178 billion in cash, enough to buy both GM (market cap: $60 billion) and Daimler ($104 billion). If Apple threw in some stock, as well, it could buy every big car maker in the world.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/self-driving/mercedes-chief-laughs-at-apples-rumored-selfdriving-ecar?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IeeeSpectrum+%28IEEE+Spectrum%29

That picture

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

They laugh now, well just see then... 

I bet IDM was laughing when at the original apple computers. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Palm and Kodak.. how about Western Union? History is full of examples of big-shot idiots.

I hope for the sake of tech, that Apple follows through and is successfull.

he wont be laughing when Apple decides to buy Mercedes Benz 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Holy... That man right there? That is the definition of dapper. If I pass go, I expect to see him at my door by tomorrow.

monopoly....

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Benz is worth $24B. Apple is worth $750B. Derp. They could eat the entire auto insdustry for breakfast.

true but i think that shows exactly why the MB chief is laughing,

His face makes me want to trade in my golf for another benz. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

His face makes me want to trade in my golf for another benz. 

What year is your golf?

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

What year is your golf?

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Y U NO R32 Bruh

Y U NO R32 Bruh

BCUZ I IZ NO RELLY A VEE DUB LAD BRUV.

+ it's easier to live with a wagon.. I swear on me mum

BCUZ I IZ NO RELLY A VEE DUB LAD BRUV.

+ it's easier to live with a wagon.. I swear on me mum

Why you no Jetta SportWagen m9?

Why you no Jetta SportWagen m9?

Same thing different name m10 (Golf variant in civilized countries)

Same thing different name m10 (Golf variant in civilized countries)

It's an evolution of the Jetta, though. 

I bet IDM was laughing when at the original apple computers. 

IBM? Yeah, they're not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Benz is worth $24B. Apple is worth $750B. Derp. They could eat the entire auto insdustry for breakfast.

You missed the point completely.

Apple is accustomed to running off of enormous margins and fairly limited competition. If they were to enter the auto industry, where margins are a ton tighter and competition is much stiffer it will be rude awakening for them. I tend to agree with this.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

It's an evolution of the Jetta, though. 

Around here it's just a lengthened golf. The jetta is simply the sedan.

Around here it's just a lengthened golf. The jetta is simply the sedan.

It's a sedan here too, but the sportwagen has transitioned from a Jetta to a Golf, at least in this market.

2004 Jetta, SportWagen, Golf:

silverjettatdi2004%20056.jpg2004_volkswagen_jetta_wagon_gls_turbo_oni22_634768266657694238_2004%20golf%20008

And then the 2015 variants of the three:

2015-VW-Jetta-1.jpg17y37a2ertjwcjpg.jpgvolkswagen_golf-estate_det_ns_305133_600

i actually really hope apple succeeds with this. would be pretty cool to have a tech company have a monopoly over several industries like this, and it's the first really innovative move they've taken in a while

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Za German!

That chief is the most German looking German I've ever seen.

His expression is perfect.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE