Mercedes Chief Laughs at Apple's Rumored Self-Driving E-Car

I'll just leave this here: 

Seriusly though, you shouldt laugh at innovation, you just end up looking like an idiot

He has the right to laugh; I'm not sure Apple fully comprehend the scale of what awaits an entry into the automotive industry. Who knows, maybe they have some killer angle; we'll just have to wait and see.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

His face makes me want to trade in my golf for another benz.

Do it, trade it in, come to the dark side; we have cookies.

MB For the win :D (W203 200 CDI myself)

OT: I think lots of people are reading the title and responding. If I read the OP propperly I think the actual quote would be more along the lines of "We aint no scurrd y'all" in stead of "Haha dipsticks you're not going to make it because I eat caviar". 

Disclaimer: Not trying to sound fanboy-ish here, just stating what I think I'm reading

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

Benz is worth $24B. Apple is worth $750B. Derp. They could eat the entire auto insdustry for breakfast.

i think you got your number wrong 

Apple Inc.

Total assets  US$ 231.839 billion (2014)

Daimler AG

Total assets US$ 184.951 billion (2012)

so no apple isn't buying them anytime soon. 

I simply cannot wait to see apple fail at this. 

Not talking about sales I mean failing to make a good car. If it turns out to be decent, then I'll place my entire life's savings on the notion that apple had almost nothing to do with the R&D, and merely provided the cash for all the people they've hired to make the car happen, instead of doing the work themselves. Oh wait isn't that what they said is going to happen?

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

I simply cannot wait to see apple fail at this. 

Not talking about sales I mean failing to make a good car. If it turns out to be decent, then I'll place my entire life's savings on the notion that apple had almost nothing to do with the R&D, and merely provided the cash for all the people they've hired to make the car happen, instead of doing the work themselves. Oh wait isn't that what they said is going to happen?

Welcome to how businesses work? You hire the best talent there is to come in and work on your projects and EVENTUALLY that talent starts teaching your existing staff so you can have home grown engineers/designers/programmers who are just as good as the guy you hired in the first place. 

Apple hires engineers to work on their product. Engineers become Apple employees. Apple does RD using those employees. Apple did the RD. Now you're just arguing semantics (if even that). 

How do you think Tesla did it? You think Musk just had a couple hundred engineers sitting in his ass, waiting to be used? No. He went out and recruited the best there were. So does your logic apply to Tesla as well? It should, shouldn't it? 

Apple Inc.

Daimler AG

MB is publicly traded. They couldn't stop a hostile takeover IF Apple actually wanted to have one. 

He is right. The automotive industry is ruthless as all hell, and a hell of a lot more than styling and badges plays into whether or not someone buys a car. And not that many hipsters have enough to drop 70,000 on a car.

Warming up my popcorn for Apple's incoming hard fail. *fingers crossed*

mSFXk2a.gif

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Apple Inc.

Daimler AG

Daimler AG's total assets for the quarter that ended in Dec. 2014 was $233,829 Mil.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The thing people don't realize is that the reason the auto industry has such slim margins is because of the middlemen dealerships. With Tesla paving the way, and Apple jumping in as well, I could definitely see dealerships going by the wayside making this a much more attainable goal.

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

It's interesting to note that when iPhone came out most phone makers thought they can laugh it off. Even more interesting to note when the iPhone was coming out Steve Jobs was still around and the introduction of the app store made it a huge success. 

Now that Steve Jobs is gone and is replaced with Tim Cook, we will finally be able to see if Apple can truly reinvent like before with the phones but only this time with cars. Still, like many before me stated, making cars is a lot harder than a phone... 

he wont be laughing when Apple decides to buy Mercedes Benz 

I hope they do it, and then ONLY fire the CEO just to make a point

honestly nobody should laugh at a company that size, they can just buy and do pretty much anything they need to succeed and have an insane following, im sure there are enough rich people that like Apple who would buy a car just because they can

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I hope they do it, and then ONLY fire the CEO just to make a point

honestly nobody should laugh at a company that size, they can just buy and do pretty much anything they need to succeed and have an insane following, im sure there are enough rich people that like Apple who would buy a car just because they can

MB knows better than most that the luxury car game is built off reputations, NOT the actual quality of the car. How do I know? Cause the S8 makes the S63 look like crap, it truly does. 

But do people care? Nope. The Benz has the market because it was the FIRST to the market, it sustained its reputation and it lives off repeat sales. Apple? Same thing EXCEPT for being first to the market. Yet not being first to market has never stopped Apple before, why would it now? 

Apple didn't green light a billion dollar project overnight just because they felt bored...

MB knows better than most that the luxury car game is built off reputations, NOT the actual quality of the car. How do I know? Cause the S8 makes the S63 look like crap, it truly does. 

But do people care? Nope. The Benz has the market because it was the FIRST to the market, it sustained its reputation and it lives off repeat sales. Apple? Same thing EXCEPT for being first to the market. Yet not being first to market has never stopped Apple before, why would it now? 

Apple didn't green light a billion dollar project overnight just because they felt bored...

Absolutely, and nobody knows how long Apple have been planning this, they could have been funding a small team to design a car for years! and maybe putting in research and development for far longer than we know

They are not the kind of company to do something half arsed, and thinking they do not understand the market is something people keep stupidly repeating, Apple are not a company I would ever under-estimate

They can afford to hire anybody in the business to help design and market their cars, they understand how to build something, how to market it well, how to make it appeal, and how to distribute it around the world

They can also afford to do things others simply cannot do. 

And yes, absolutely, cars are always bought on reputation, thats why I still value an Audi, BMW or Mercedes over like a Fiat or something, even if Fiat brought out a car that went 0-60 in 3 seconds, and did 100mpg, its still a freaking fiat and I dont want one

Brand values are extremely important to customers! Some companies seem to forget this

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Brand values are extremely important to customers! Some companies seem to forget this

People in the real world (and the marketing departments who work them) know this better than the internet experts who call consumers "sheep" because people win by marketing. 

As if people on this bloody forum haven't been influence by brand power before. 

People in the real world (and the marketing departments who work them) know this better than the internet experts who call consumers "sheep" 

Yeah you and I know that, you are one of the few that do actually have the ability to think in laymen terms