Dissecting a PC...

food158

Its completely safe, just make sure you unplug it and ground your self if you plan on using it again(most likely not). 

Have fun exploring the great unknown!

Ummm yes.

That's how I mostly learned how to build. Not just by watching youtube vids.

But this computer has viruses. It also doesn't boot up. I'm a little paranoid something could go wrong.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Its completely safe, just make sure you unplug it and ground your self if you plan on using it again(most likely not). 

Have fun exploring the great unknown!

What do you mean by "ground myself"?

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

What do you mean by "ground myself"?

Make sure you are not collecting static electricity. 

IE: Get off carpet. Touch a large metal thing every once in a while (The case) 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

But this computer has viruses. It also doesn't boot up. I'm a little paranoid something could go wrong.

Doesn't matter. It's not gonna infect you  :P

Just look up some videos if you don't want to wreck the PC. I remember the first time I dissected I tore the CPU socket straight off the board cus I didn't know how the heatsink worked. :D

System: Thinkpad T460

http://www.wikihow.com/Ground-Yourself-to-Avoid-Destroying-a-Computer-with-Electrostatic-Discharge

Basically to make sure you discharge any static electricity from your body, as static electricity can kill your computer. 

Ok, I got what you mean now.

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

*facepalm* not at the OP because I get what he is doing, but everyone else.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

Doesn't matter. It's not gonna infect you  :P

Just look up some videos if you don't want to wreck the PC. I remember the first time I dissected I tore the CPU socket straight off the board cus I didn't know how the heatsink worked. :D

Heh heh, I'm scared the viruses will damage the PC components. Could I rebuild it? O_O Oh that would be great.

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Heh heh, I'm scared the viruses will damage the PC components. Could I rebuild it? O_O Oh that would be great.

Software doesn't damage hardware.

Well unless it cause overheating and so on....But you should be completely fine. It may even not be a virus and instead a hardware issue.

System: Thinkpad T460

Software doesn't damage hardware.

Well unless it cause overheating and so on....But you should be completely fine. It may even not be a virus and instead a hardware issue.

I believe it would be a virus because that PC had SpeedyPC. Some rogue "antivirus".

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

You could just get another hard drive or wipe your current one and you'd be fine.

Viruses are software that is sometimes violent and sometimes annoying (it depends on the type) just because a computer has a virus does not mean it is the end unless it forced the components to over-volt but I don't think such a software exist at least yet.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

You can mount the hard drive, clear out the program files for all the dodgy programs, and then try a system repair with a Windows Repair Disk.

Alternatively if you wanted to use the computer as a new system, you could grab all your files off of it, wipe it clean and throw linux on there.

The viruses aren't going to damage your computer on a hardware level. they're just a bunch of switches at the end of the day. I don't know why you're worried.

Viruses are bound to HDD and can't jump out of there without HDD being powered and connected to somewhere. Its same as with these two paranoid thoughts: 1) Electricity can't (most of the time) jump from socket/cable to PC unless cable is connected to power supply 2) Viruses/Crackers/malware in general can't jump from internet to your PC unless PC is powered and loaded to OS, plus internet cable needs to be connected. They also can't boot over LAN while cable is disconnected.

How to get virus out of HDD, the short version:

- If you have important data, use Live-CD Linux to boot and move files to USB/external HDD.

- When done or no data, reinstall OS and format HDD. No more virus.

Old PCs are nice thing to safely check out stuff. Disconnect PC from wall and let it cool/discharge for 10-15mins. Open it (sometimes hard with prebuilds like HP). Start disconnecting wires and stuff. Don't use force, only thing that effectively kills PC components while messing inside the case is physical force and static discharge. Neither has happened to me since 2001 of opening PC's. When disconnecting power connectors, mark wires if you don't know where they go. Connecting them wrong and trying to boot again can result as blown components (this is something that has happened to me).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

So I figured I would learn about a PC. I was thinking about opening up my old PC that broke. However, this PC has viruses and does not boot up. Is it safe to do this?

Be carefull you might get the sniffles.