Dissecting a PC...

food158

So I figured I would learn about a PC. I was thinking about opening up my old PC that broke. However, this PC has viruses and does not boot up. Is it safe to do this?

No the virus will spread out onto your hands and you will get ebola.

/s

I wouldn't see why not. If its something you don't care about. If your careful you should have no worries.

Yeah go for it! Take a picture before hand or something and just take it apart and rebuild it, if you get stuck just youtube how to install the component eg. hard drive, if it's dead then you can't do any more harm, if it's just viruses then you can wipe the hard drive and re-install your OS like windows. Just make sure you're grounded as said earlier, use either an anti-static wristband or just keep touching the case or power supply every now and again. And hey, if you get it back working you can even begin to upgrade things yourself then:)

AMD fx-8320 (Water-Cooled) |-| Custom Water Loop (CPU and GPU) |-| Asus M5a97 EVO R2.0 |-| Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz |-| MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Water-Cooled) |-| Corsair RM850 |-| 500GB Samsung 850 EVO |-| Fractal Design Define R4 Black |-| 2 x Iiyama ProLite XUB2790HS-B1 27" IPS |-| Razer Blackwidow Chroma |-| Razer Deathadder Chroma |-| Steelseries QcK Heavy

good for you, dive in head first...if its a old system ur not using ne more try fixing it or installing a linux distro and trying that out. If its not in use what do you have to loose /

Also, hardware almost never interacts with virus', meaning virus' are fixed on the software side: boot the OS, install and run a scan of malwarebytes, and you should be good to go. 

op is a big fat phony

My Build: 4690k @ 4.7 GHz, ASUS Strix 970 @ 1316 MHz, H105, Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 MHz, H440, RM750

So I finally got around to opening the pc. It was definetly glorious.

If you actually need help, PM me.

Tell us more of what you found inside though. Lot's of dust or anything unusual e.t.c.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

If you actually need help, PM me.

Tell us more of what you found inside though. Lot's of dust or anything unusual e.t.c.

Definitely lots of dust. The motherboard was a nice yellow. There were 2 hard drives, there was a power supply thingy, 2 fans.(not including the fan on the processor which I removed so I could see the processor)

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Definitely lots of dust. The motherboard was a nice yellow. There were 2 hard drives, there was a power supply thingy, 2 fans.(not including the fan on the processor which I removed so I could see the processor)

Take some compressed air and dust it out. Do NOT use a vacuum.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Yeah go for it, just be careful not to be electrocuted with some capacitor in the power supply, other than that, have fun :)