Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription + Windows 10 is free for 7/8.1 users

Xq5YV8etWI_C.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Snippet from Pcgamer.com

At its press event today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgradefor Windows 7 and Windows 8 users during its first year of availability. There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it.

Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.

In my opinion I think this is a step in the right direction, I really wouldn't want to pay Windows on a subscription. 

As well as the free upgrade to Windows 10, that I'm looking forward to doing. I haven't tried Windows 10 yet, but I'm hearing great things about it.

Thanks Microsoft!. 

Sorry about the format of the post, I don't know how to change it. 

Post your opinions below. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Maybe If he didn't word it in such a way that it was open up to interpretation we wouldn't have this problem . 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

That is an important point of clarification to make. I do like that its free to upgrade to 10 for the first year. May actually move on from 7.

Blarg

Am I the only one who didn't have a problem with the idea of a sub based OS?

EDIT: kinda flawed that they are offering 10 to windows seven users,  kinda makes all those nasty comments about dx12 and windows 7 look silly doesn't it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Anybody with half a brain will know what the MS guy meant.

MS know that nobody would pay a monthly fee for their OS

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Ahhh damnit I don't like that idea.  Well, I mean it's nice enough to offer free upgrades in the first year.

But that is when the OS has the most amount of issues; personally I don't get an OS until it has at least a service pack to address some of the issues.

Hmm.  

But good on them I guess.

Anybody with half a brain will know what the MS guy meant.

MS know that nobody would pay a monthly fee for their OS

Monthly? Probably not, yearly on the other hand, maybe.

Monthly? Probably not, yearly on the other hand, maybe.

I wouldn't even pay a yearly fee. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Good move Microsoft

"If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."   -Martin Luther King, Jr

I would, if it meant I never had to buy another copy, could upgrade my hardware anytime I want without stupid activation headaches and didn't cost more in the long run.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Sure you wouldn't but for a lot of people it could likely be a better option. But it would have to be an option, not the only way, if they offered both a full price copy where you never paid again, and a cheaper yearly subscription it would be interesting.

Good post @X1XNobleX1X. Thank you for making it clear.

Yea.. it's not the first time Microsoft announces an offers where a small error in the sentence makes it means a whole different thing.

But I personally expect that one day, Windows will be offered as a subscription like Office is. More and more companies are going that path. To be clear, I mean: subscription based is an OPTION to the RETAIL BOX full purchase. Obviously if you buy a computer it comes with Windows, you don't need to pay later on for it.

I don't mind it, but I'd like both to be options.

I like options. I'd rather pay the $50-$100 for the OS and have my own key and not have to worry about a monthly payment(even if it's cheap). Also I don't use any Microsoft products anyway, not even Office, so a bundle subscription wouldn't work for me either.

But again, that's just me and I bet there are plenty of people who'd love a bundle subscription for Windows products, I know Linus would love it.

I don't mind it, but I'd like both to be options.

I like options. I'd rather pay the $50-$100 for the OS and have my own key and not have to worry about a monthly payment(even if it's cheap). Also I don't use any Microsoft products anyway, not even Office, so a bundle subscription wouldn't work for me either.

But again, that's just me and I bet there are plenty of people who'd love a bundle subscription for Windows products, I know Linus would love it.

I would hate a monthly sub, but a yearly would be fine.  My brother and his wife run several businesses and they find the office sub to be leaps and bounds better than anything else.

I actually wanted a subscription bases service. Instead of paying $100 upfront I could pay $50 or less per year which would actually make less of an impact for my wallet. But I guess most people don't want a subscription model.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

YAY! I HATE SUBSCRIPTIONS!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

It's not going to be free for system builders and Vista/XP users though is it, so it would have been nice if they had announced some general pricing options.

I pre-ordered Windows 7 Home full-ver which stayed on my laptop until recently, moved license over to my new PC build. I guess I'll move it back to the laptop (currenty back to Vista, pretty sluggish) and upgrade that, and then just buy a full lisence for the desktop. I like always having the option of reinstalling Windows, hopefully with the upgrade it will be an easy enough process, but with full w10 key & discs for desktop and there will be no issues.

EDIT: By the way, is it w8 & w8.1, or just 8.1? I ask as my dads Samsung laptop failed an upgrade to 8.1 and I haven't had a chance to attempt to update it myself. Hopefully I'll be able to get him upgrade to w10, and get rid of the remaining Samsung bloat that plagues his machine.

CPU: i5 4670K  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo  MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX  RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance  GPU: MSI R9 280 3GB

PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze  Case: Corsair 200R (with pair of 120MM Noctua Redux PWM fans)  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

HDD: 1TB Toshiba DT01ACA100   Optical: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-ray writer

Uhhh.. like who would actually pay for a monthly or yearly fee?

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

They're probably wanting a monthly/yearly fee, because they want to follow their payment system with one like Office 365. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

EDIT: By the way, is it w8 & w8.1, or just 8.1? I ask as my dads Samsung laptop failed an upgrade to 8.1 and I haven't had a chance to attempt to update it myself. Hopefully I'll be able to get him upgrade to w10, and get rid of the remaining Samsung bloat that plagues his machine.

Backup, Re-install (PC Setting > Update and Recovery > Re-install Windows), remove A/V (Windows Defender is fine), and now try.

You need Windows 8.1 to get the free upgrade to Windows 10, as Windows 8 is no longer supported.

What if its 50$ per year, for 2 PCs. Every 3 years there is a new version of Windows. If you do the math, you save. This is how Office 365 work, 99$ per year, but for 5 PCs and also 5 devices, and includes 1TB of OneDrive space (if you wonder what happens when you stop paying, OneDrive is still accessible, and all your files. But you can't upload new or update any files in there. Read only).

However, for Windows it's a bit complicated. Expect in the future (weather be in Windows 10 life span or Windows 11), that retail box of Windows will have a subscription, basically targeted us as system builders, but for people that buy a system that comes with Windows, you'll have it for free.

A possibility is that you have Windows 10 Home on all OEM systems, and if you want the Pro, you need to pay per year a small fee, say 10$.

Maybe If he didn't word it in such a way that it was open up to interpretation we wouldn't have this problem . 

Maybe if the collective idiocy of the internet would halt and make use of reading comprehension instead of knee jerk stupidity, we wouldn't need to have these kinds of sad clarifications in the first place. 

EDIT: kinda flawed that they are offering 10 to windows seven users,  kinda makes all those nasty comments about dx12 and windows 7 look silly doesn't it?

Well, it won't stop al those who were so critical and angry to calm down and think that MS might mean something if they're willing to give Windows 7 users a free ride to 10. 

Nope, they'll just continue saying that MS is killing PC gaming and stifling it and not helping it and whatever else they say.