Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription + Windows 10 is free for 7/8.1 users

The free upgrade for W8 users was expected; but the upgrade for W7 users completely threw me for a loop. It looks like I'll never have to touch W8 after all.

So what is it? Is it the first year is free but then you make a one time payment? If that's the case I'll take it.

However if it's the case of pay us every year, I'm downloading Ubuntu now.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

So what is it? Is it the first year is free but then you make a one time payment? If that's the case I'll take it.

However if it's the case of pay us every year, I'm downloading Ubuntu now.

If you have Windows 7/8.1 you will keep Windows 10 forever. (Until you upgrade to Windows 11)

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

If you have Windows 7/8.1 you will keep Windows 10 forever. (Until you upgrade to Windows 11)

They specifically wrote "the first year is free" I want to know what is up with that.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Maybe if the collective idiocy of the internet would halt and make use of reading comprehension instead of knee jerk stupidity, we wouldn't need to have these kinds of sad clarifications in the first place.

Now now, in his defense, the presenter did screw up on his sentence. And it was THE sentence to not screw up.

Also, Microsoft is saying that Windows is now a service. So this does suggest there will be a subscription model. We really don't know the pricing, nor how it will work exactly. Windows is a major part of our computer experience, it is normal that some people are concerned. Sure of course some people will not be happy, even if it does end up that you need to pay 1$ per year. For some people, they see better value in spending a large amount of money for lifetime, than a less amount in total but split in year.

Nope, they'll just continue saying that MS is killing PC gaming and stifling it and not helping it and whatever else they say.

Calm down. They'll continue to say this no mater what. If you think they are wrong, show them. And if that doesn't work, then too bad for them.

If they enjoy using Windows XP, well they enjoy Windows XP. What do you care?

I would, if it meant I never had to buy another copy, could upgrade my hardware anytime I want without stupid activation headaches and didn't cost more in the long run.

I don't think I've ever seen a Sub that is cheaper in the long run. Usually it gets more expensive very very quickly.

Actually, come to think of it, if anyone would have gotten new pro version of Adobe's soft, rather than every other one like reasonable people did, Adobe CS is a far superior deal. And if you use 3 or more pieces of software, than it would always be a better deal.

Now on a side note I don't think MS infrastructure could handle a sub based windows, as it would be the most unreliable thing ever, hence business users would just stick to unsupported win 7 :)

They specifically wrote "the first year is free" I want to know what is up with that.

Meaning that if you update within 1 year of launch of windows 10 from windows 7 or 8.1 to windows 10,you can update it for free,However if you tried to update it past 1 year after launch,you had to pay for the new os even though you already owned windows 7 or 8.1. Hope this clear the confusion .

Anybody with half a brain will know what the MS guy meant.

MS know that nobody would pay a monthly fee for their OS

I only have half a brain then.  They are already trying to sell office to people for 70-100 dollars a year, who knows what kind of insanity is going through their heads.  Even adobe wants to switch their entire business over to a subscription model.  My half brain has the unfortunate condition of having seen what microsoft has already tried to do, so it was right to worry.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Wait...did I read it right? Free upgrade for Win7 users?  If that is true...awesome. Thanks Microsoft.  for once B)

Also, always good to know there are no subscriptions for things. lol

I thought they meant if you get it in the first year, it is free. After that, you have to buy it like any other Windows OS.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Now on a side note I don't think MS infrastructure could handle a sub based windows, as it would be the most unreliable thing ever, hence business users would just stick to unsupported win 7 :)

Microsoft has one of, if not the, largest server presence on the net.  I don't think they'll have a problem at all.  In fact they already have online versions for most of there software.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Also, Microsoft is saying that Windows is now a service. So this does suggest there will be a subscription model. We really don't know the pricing, nor how it will work exactly. Windows is a major part of our computer experience, it is normal that some people are concerned. Sure of course some people will not be happy, even if it does end up that you need to pay 1$ per year. For some people, they see better value in spending a large amount of money for lifetime, than a less amount in total but split in year.

They've clarified what they meant by that. Windows 10 will not be subscription-based, ever. Instead, they will upgrade Windows 10 as time goes on, a la OS X.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

However, if you do get it after the promotion ends, then you have to pay a license fee. So yeah, put ya pitchforks down.

Microsoft has one of, if not the, largest server presence on the net.  I don't think they'll have a problem at all.  In fact they already have online versions for most of there software.

I'd assume that there are more windows users than any other microsoft-made software out there, possibly even combined.

Considering that Win10 would be the next iteration to be chosen by business, having hundreds of millions of computers worldwide authenticate through whatever silly system MS would not be something i believe in them being able to handle. At least not a single company out there proved that it can reliably handle traffic even few hundred times lower.

I'd assume that there are more windows users than any other microsoft-made software out there, possibly even combined.

Considering that Win10 would be the next iteration to be chosen by business, having hundreds of millions of computers worldwide authenticate through whatever silly system MS would not be something i believe in them being able to handle. At least not a single company out there proved that it can reliably handle traffic even few hundred times lower.

I'm guessing because you're using words like "silly" to describe what is essentially one of the worlds largest corporate online presences that you  probably haven't given this much thought.  Their service is big enough, and growing.

This is from July 13:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/05/14/whos-got-the-most-web-servers/

And just for interest:

http://news.microsoft.com/bythenumbers/index.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm guessing because you're using words like "silly" to describe what is essentially one of the worlds largest corporate online presences that you  probably haven't given this much thought.  Their service is big enough, and growing.

This is from July 13:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/05/14/whos-got-the-most-web-servers/

And just for interest:

http://news.microsoft.com/bythenumbers/index.html

I call it silly, because I work with Microsoft on a professional level every day and know what they are capable off, and what they pretend to be capable off. Though I cannot share the exact names, some of the US largest corps I support are using MS's server farms and they are not that reliable. If they can't support selected business partners, i have my doubts how they would behave if they had to service both the business partners and millions of users at the same time.

EDIT: By not being all that reliable, I mean that they are down or partially down about once a month on average. While this is well within a business spec I don't think they would be willing to offer similar reliability to casual users. Even then having OS issues once a month could be rather annoying.

EDIT2: They could be reasonable and request an authentication once every month or so, with non-online builds being permanently authenticated, but reasonable and corporation are not 2 words that should be in the same sentence, unless an operator "NOT" is used...

I call it silly, because I work with Microsoft on a professional level every day and know what they are capable off, and what they pretend to be capable off. Though I cannot share the exact names, some of the US largest corps I support are using MS's server farms and they are not that reliable. If they can't support selected business partners, i have my doubts how they would behave if they had to service both the business partners and millions of users at the same time.

EDIT: By not being all that reliable, I mean that they are down or partially down about once a month on average. While this is well within a business spec I don't think they would be willing to offer similar reliability to casual users. Even then having OS issues once a month could be rather annoying.

EDIT2: They could be reasonable and request an authentication once every month or so, with non-online builds being permanently authenticated, but reasonable and corporation are not 2 words that should be in the same sentence, unless an operator "NOT" is used...

So you wanna just tell me you have inside information but not provide any evidence to support you're claims?  According to MS there are about 1.5B PC running windows. If MS have over a 1 million servers on line and every body decided to upgrade at once each server would only have to authenticate 1500 pc's in that day.  Doesn't sound like much to me.

So you wanna just tell me you have inside information but not provide any evidence to support you're claims?  According to MS there are about 1.5B PC running windows. If MS have over a 1 million servers on line and every body decided to upgrade at once each server would only have to authenticate 1500 pc's in that day.  Doesn't sound like much to me.

Ehh, 1mln servers is for everything, outsourcing, internal usage, hotmail, xbox online and many many more. Microsoft had issues handling normal, boxed version releases of windows. No, I don't think they would do well with online one.

As to the companies supported, you should know that there are contracts in place that prohibit giving away information. There are some wery big movie producers, insurance, medical, infrastructure, utility companies... Well...

Ehh, 1mln servers is for everything, outsourcing, internal usage, hotmail, xbox online and many many more. Microsoft had issues handling normal, boxed version releases of windows. No, I don't think they would do well with online one.

As to the companies supported, you should know that there are contracts in place that prohibit giving away information. There are some wery big movie producers, insurance, medical, infrastructure, utility companies... Well...

Glad to see you read the article I linked, It specifically said web servers.  Do you honestly think a key validation will use up that much server time they can't keep up? Hell even facebook serves over 1 Billion people each month and that's ad serving as well as PMs and photos.

EDIT: also I am not asking you to name companies, that would do nothing, I am asking you to link to something that supports your claim.

Just kidding. Great move imo!

Interested in Business and Technology

Backup, Re-install (PC Setting > Update and Recovery > Re-install Windows), remove A/V (Windows Defender is fine), and now try.

You need Windows 8.1 to get the free upgrade to Windows 10, as Windows 8 is no longer supported.

Yeah I thought that would be the case. I'll maybe pick him up a 1TB backup drive this month, and then have a go at reinstalling and then upgrading his laptop to 8.1.

CPU: i5 4670K  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo  MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX  RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance  GPU: MSI R9 280 3GB

PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze  Case: Corsair 200R (with pair of 120MM Noctua Redux PWM fans)  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

HDD: 1TB Toshiba DT01ACA100   Optical: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-ray writer

Glad to hear about this.  Still not keen on installing it day one though.  I'll wait a bit to see how it actually performs before I make the switch.  Microsoft always seems to mess up somewhere in the beginning. 

Microsoft giving the OS for free is gonna be something i can swallow for at least an year. Im totally amazed :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

As long as I can set the theme to windows 7 and not that ugly metro look, I will get the free upgrade

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

As long as I can set the theme to windows 7 and not that ugly metro look, I will get the free upgrade

So then I have some very bad news.