North Korea has lost internet, US responsible?

Real_PhillBert

SAN FRANCISCO — North Korea’s already tenuous links to the Internet went completely dark on Monday after days of instability, in what Internet monitors described as one of the worst North Korean network failures in years.

The loss of service came just days after President Obama pledged that the United States would launch a “proportional response” to the recent attacks on Sony Pictures, which government officials have linked to North Korea. While an attack on North Korea’s networks was suspected, there was no definitive evidence of it.

18ir476zicywojpg.jpg

“Their networks are under duress,” Mr. Madory said. “This is consistent with a DDoS attack on their routers,” he said, referring to a distributed denial of service attack, in which attackers flood a network with traffic until it collapses under the load.

I'm not an expert, but can you DDos an entire country?

North Korea does very little commercial or government business over the Internet. The country officially has 1,024 Internet protocol addresses, though the actual number may be somewhat higher. By comparison, the United States has billions of addresses.

This made me laugh more than it should have.

The failure follows requests by the Obama administration to China seeking its help in blocking North Korea’s ability to wage cyberattacks, an early step toward the “proportional response” that Mr. Obama promised, as well as a broader warning to others who may try similar attacks on American targets in the future, senior administration officials have said.  

So the plot thickens...

Much more in the article. What you do you guys think? If this truly was the doing of the US, I am impressed as it does seem to be a very well done proportional response. Somehow I kinda doubt it was though.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/world/asia/attack-is-suspected-as-north-korean-internet-collapses.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=1

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

< My profile image

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

OHH SHET

What'ya gunna do now?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Oh, yay. If the US did do this, then Obama can go shove a lava rock up his ass.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

North Korea's infrastructure was still harder to hack than Sony's LOL...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Well when the country has one router then it shouldn't be hard.

Trololololo.

Best comment i've seen all day.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

If the country only has a few thousand IP's and some very tenuous connections to the rest of the world, how is it possible for them to carry out the attacks everyone says they did without it being blatantly obvious to everyone?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If the country only has a few thousand IP's and some very tenuous connections to the rest of the world, how is it possible for them to carry out the attacks everyone says they did without it being blatantly obvious to everyone?

Hmm that is a very good question, and one I hadn't thought about before.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

North Korea invests heavily in cyber warfare to make up for their weakness in conventional arms. It is the most cost effective way for them to cause trouble abroad.

If anyone is interested, you can read this article, which includes a report done by the Pentagon on the DPRK's foreign policy aims and capabilities.

EDIT: Here direct from the article

The Pentagon claims that North Korea is building up expertise in “offensive cyber operations,” which the report describes as the most “cost-effective way to develop asymmetric, deniable military operations.” The report blames these hackers for denial-of-service attacks against South Korea from 2009 to 2011 and again in 2013.

Conceal your intentions

North Korea invests heavily in cyber warfare to make up for their weakness in conventional arms. It is the most cost effective way for them to cause trouble abroad.

yes, but how?   The US can use any number of ten or more connections to multiple countries where as North Korea can only go through China yes?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

yes, but how?   The US can use any number of ten or more connections to multiple countries where as North Korea can only go through China yes?

I honestly have no idea how, as I am not educated or well read on how the technology actually works. All I can say for certain is that they put a good amount of money into cyber warfare, and they have carried out cyber attacks before.

Conceal your intentions

With only 1024 addresses, mapping out their infrastructure becomes child's play.

edit: http://nknetobserver.github.io/

Man would it suck living there :/

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Man would it suck living there :/

For those that do, I don't think the Internet is their biggest concern. Food and electricity are two that immediately come to mind.

0e471b6aab5e.jpg

They even had internet to begin with?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They even had internet to begin with?

Well... 1024 devices did lol

Oh no, all <10 N.Koreans lost their internet, now how will they be an effective paranoid dictatorship?

I'm not an expert, but can you DDos an entire country?

Well Lizard Squad DDOS:ed one of Sweden's largest ISP's (or well, it was EA that they DDOS:ed but Telia was their ISP) not that long ago which made pretty much all of Telia's customers disconnected completely from the Internet, since broadband, IP-phone and IP-tv stopped working. Telia has millions of customers while NK seems to have about a thousand.

I don't think they have several ISP's in their country with that few amount of users. Just an assumption though. Therefore, if their one ISP is DDOS:ed, then it's not that unlikely that everything stops working.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

Oh, yay. If the US did do this, then Obama can go shove a lava rock up his ass.

Please explain your negativity and vulgarity.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Oh no, all <10 N.Koreans lost their internet, now how will they be an effective paranoid dictatorship?

This could be a preliminary step to cutting off out of state information sources prior to an attack on another country. The N. Korean government is not a wildly stable group and has made some pretty egregious threats.

Please explain your negativity and vulgarity.

It's just stupid since if we did do this, then it's really fucking childish.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)