Need help for a new monitor

Hey,

I'm currently running a 1080p 60Hz monitor. I use it for light gaming and watching streaming services. I have been looking at a WQHD monitor (specifically the Samsung 34" ViewFinity S50GC) I've looked at going 4k, but I don't want 60Hz. If you jump up to like 144Hz it raises the price to over $600 USD.

If I upgraded it would at least jump me from 1080p 60Hz to 1440p 100Hz. But I'm trying to figure out would it really be worth it? Or should I just wait for 4k to come down more?

I've never actually gamed on 4k, unless you count phones but I don't. I've only ever really watch 4k TV's.

So, sell me? Or scare me away? I know most think 1440p is the sweet spot, but that's normally at 144Hz. Would losing that 44Hz drop the experience THAT much?

Thanks all,

Spiz

4k Requires a pretty expensive GPU to run properly without gimmicks like Frame gen, like a 4080/4090/7900XT/XTX. You can do it with less powerful cards but results will vary and honestly its something probably out of the budget.

A really good 1440p 240hz monitor will be fine, or 144hz/165. Do you want the 34" for a specific reason? I wouldnt go beyond 27" for 1440p honestly.

Something like a Gigabyte M27QX is usually around 350$ or https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1817113-REG/gigabyte_gs27q_x_27_qhd_240hz_ips.html?ap=y&smp=y&srsltid=AfmBOopRzmWa2USZSe40UYiAqtmYZOLO26aq-BYfFvznYvQ7G9gS45lSYXo

The jump from 1440p to 1080p is night and day at least imo. However the jumpp from 1440p to 4K isnt that much of a leap. If you play shooters like CS GO or valorant or Apex choose lower res and 144hz idealy if you dont and to mainly consume media while playing some light games choose 4K if your budget allows it. Either way 1440p should be plenty for most

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

4k Requires a pretty expensive GPU to run properly without gimmicks like Frame gen, like a 4080/4090/7900XT/XTX. You can do it with less powerful cards but results will vary and honestly its something probably out of the budget.

A really good 1440p 240hz monitor will be fine, or 144hz/165. Do you want the 34" for a specific reason? I wouldnt go beyond 27" for 1440p honestly.

Is ther a specific reaon you wouldnt go beyond 27" for 1440p? cause i was thinking of getting a 1440p from 28" to 32"

3 minutes ago, Millios said:

Is ther a specific reaon you wouldnt go beyond 27" for 1440p? cause i was thinking of getting a 1440p from 28" to 32"

Yeah because it just doesnt look as good beyond 27", thats where id suggest 4k at that point if you want to go beyond 27" into the 32-34" monitors.

Its still usable so if you want to do it try it out and see in a store if you can, but it starts to have its limitations for pixel density when you go beyond that.

I was looking at that monitor for the ultra wide vs resolution vs cost. As for playing competitive online, I don't do anything like "hardcore" besides like LoL. Everything else is single player or light competitive, where it really doesn't matter. I have a nice actual TV for playing multiplayer consoles on, but this will be a dedicated beside bed monitor. Yes I have a beside bed monitor 😂 Maybe run my 3060ti on? But probably will be more for single player or streaming(videos not twitch) I have a different setup for that.

So it isn't like I'm going to be running ultra high ray tracing on it.

I want something that can steam well and game "good enough" on. If that makes sense?

But I don't want something to cripple me if I decided to make this a primary PC streaming monitor.

On 5/28/2024 at 11:06 PM, Shimejii said:

Something like a Gigabyte M27QX is usually around 350$ or https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1817113-REG/gigabyte_gs27q_x_27_qhd_240hz_ips.html?ap=y&smp=y&srsltid=AfmBOopRzmWa2USZSe40UYiAqtmYZOLO26aq-BYfFvznYvQ7G9gS45lSYXo

My GPU would not be able to push 4k, unless maybe on the crappiest settings possible? I have been looking because I also run an NVIDIA Shield Pro for streaming shows, YouTube and such. But I've been stuck at 1080 for a while.

I still have not yet decided. I really do want to go 4k, but to get any "good" brand in a 4k above 60hz it jumps up like $400.

So I'm still kind of on the fence. It seemed like a really good deal, but from what I hear even a jump in streaming from 1080 to 1440 may not be worth it.

To be clear I have not owned anything above 1080 unless it's a handheld, phone, or tablet.