Nvidia "You Want a Piece of This ?" AMD "That Piece May Already Be Mine". Patent War Reigniting

BookerDeWitt

come into a thread, expecting a meaningfull conversation about this. get conspiracies and name calling....

LTT...

xpectd.gif

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

come into a thread, expecting a meaningfull conversation about this. get conspiracies and name calling....

LTT...

xpectd.gif

It all started  when NASA faked the moon landing as a distraction from nearly getting caught using the Vietnam war as a tool to sell drugs and weapons.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

saw it coming with samsung starting to manufacture stuff for amd ....... samsung and amd should grow a pair and develop better stuff rather than filling silly patent wars and fake benchmarks cough cough "samsung"

AMD had nothing to do with  the Samsung-Nvidia debacle. How about you grow a pair and face the fact that Nvidia is the culprit here?

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

It all started when NASA faked the moon landing as a distraction from nearly getting caught using the Vietnam war as a tool to sell drugs and weapons.

Makes sense, no?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

AMD took advantage of the situation..... and considering amd's recent partnership to manufacture 14nm chips with samsung...... Amd's acting like the usa by interfering in third country civil wars and monetizing the situation by selling weapons,drugs etc 

What has AMD actually done so far? Has anything happened? Has AMD entered the fray on this sad, sad little patent war?

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Makes sense, no?

Yes, and DAARPA is controlling the weather...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

only because samsung used false benchmarks about their processor,samsung deserved it ...... 

No? Nvidia's lawsuit hasn't even mentioned the false benchmarks. Here is the entire timeline of the current Nvidia vs Samsung lawsuit.

1) Nvidia demands money from Samsung because Qualcomm, ARM and Imagination are allegedly infringing on their GPU patents.

2) Samsung tells Nvidia to complain to Qualcomm, ARM and Imagination instead, since they are the ones actually making the GPU.

3) Nvidia files for a ban on pretty much all the high end Samsung devices.

4) Samsung fires back by accusing Nvidia to cheat in benchmarks, violate a bunch of Samsung's patents and they are also suing Velocity Micro. This is most likely to scare Nvidia into dropping the things they did in step 3.

5) This is where we are right now.

I have absolutely no idea how you can assume that AMD has anything to do with this. Even IF Samsung and AMD partnered up to sue Nvidia, this was still started by Nvidia.

No? Nvidia's lawsuit hasn't even mentioned the false benchmarks. Here is the entire timeline of the current Nvidia vs Samsung lawsuit.

1) Nvidia demands money from Samsung because Qualcomm, ARM and Imagination are allegedly infringing on their GPU patents.

2) Samsung tells Nvidia to complain to Qualcomm, ARM and Imagination instead, since they are the ones actually making the GPU.

3) Nvidia files for a ban on pretty much all the high end Samsung devices.

4) Samsung fires back by accusing Nvidia to cheat in benchmarks, violate a bunch of Samsung's patents and they are also suing Velocity Micro. This is most likely to scare Nvidia into dropping the things they did in step 3.

5) This is where we are right now.

I have absolutely no idea how you can assume that AMD has anything to do with this. Even IF Samsung and AMD partnered up to sue Nvidia, this was still started by Nvidia.

It's all a bit much to swallow really, I wonder if they could re-state their legal claims in the form of a suppository? Much easy to digest that way I think. :o

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

yeah...... nvidia should have sued qualcomm,arm tough not samsung .... but still amd didn't need to step in.... and samsung shouldn't have sued velocity micro.... also samsung cheated in the benchmarks not nvidia.... also amd is trying to monetize the situation since it already hates nvidia.... 

Maybe AMD IP is going to be a safe heaven for their partners, to prevent them from being bullied around. When it comes to business relationships, this is awesome both for AMD and partners.

Samsung as claimed they want to develop their own GPU in house, so this relationship with AMD may go beyond fabrication process.

Now AMD just has to sit down, watch, and take notes. For every outcome there will surely be a AMD reaction. In my personal oppinion, the best outcome would be either NVIDIA drop the case, or the court dismiss it, just to difuse the whole situation... otherwise this is going to be nasty.

Did you not know that AMD is in a partnership with samsung?

Samsung is making chips for AMD because AMD was having serious issues trying to decrease their manufacturing process, which is why their CPUs are still made with a 5-year-old process.

Yes, AMD is paying samsung in this partnership. You should stop making assumptions based on facts that you do not know.

I think the more likely possibility is AMD is looking at patent trolling to protect samsung from nvidia to keep the partnership strong.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

plz do not ruin the graphics market...

Quite frankly this could help it in the worst most underhanded way ever but it could; AMD economically speaking is anorexic whilst the Intel is a sumo wrestler and Nvidia is an american football player and Samsung is a body builder... They could gain some money out of the deal in what would technically be a legal manor and give them some money to put into R&D instead of trying something and shipping it to market without extensive testing (which is how the FX series came to be as well as the 290X's reference cooler) 

Anyway here goes: AMD teams up with Nvidia to kick Samsung in the butt.

We need this Nvidia <-> AMD rivalry to be more like between buddies than this hole bitch fight thing. Oh, sorry I didn't mean to imply that man fight in a more fashionable manner. Also "new girl" did...

Anyway just saying friendly competition over jealous rivalry.

This is a terrible terrible idea; as currently Samsung and AMD have a deal inwhich Samsung will be making some CPUs APUs and GPUs for AMD which is hopefully gonna get them to near competeing with intel level... Don't bite the hand that feeds... And their rivalry with Nvidia is good; I'd be pissed if Nvidia delayed 900 series launch to match up with the 300 series launch  or something like that also if they were better friends the price slashing wouldn't be anywhere near as good... I mean remember when Titan Z pricedropped from 3k->1,500 and right after that 295X2 dropped from 1,500->999->800->650 if they were better friends 295x2 would still be ~1,200 not exact but alot closer to 1,200 than the current 650~700 range

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

This fucking thread..... Why all the constant hate towards each other, most of you disappoint me.

Aaaannndd back on topic, AMD so far wasn't a big dickhead in this whole patent thingy, Samsung ofc has been known to sue around. Nvidia probs just wanted to see what they could do with their patents. All this patent war crap is messed up and should just stop. Let those companies focus on using this money on R&D instead of on expensive lawyers.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

amd is nothing without samsung...... 

That's where you are completely wrong.

AMD and NV cross license lots of GPU IP much like AMD/Intel on the CPU side. Perhaps AMD is possibly stepping in because some of NV's filings against Samsung/Qualcom venture into that shared IP space.

The way I read the article, AMD is looking into going after the big guys just like NV and not to protect them. It appears to me like AMD is waiting for NV's complaints to further unfold so they can use those judgments in their own civil case.

Example:

NV: "Samsung, you can't sell that GPU because it uses technology "X" and we have a patent for that!"

AMD: "Hold on a sec, "X"="A"+"B" and we license "B" from NV while they license "A" from us. You can't just leave us hanging, we want a piece of that pie!"

Am I blatantly missing something obvious here? I just seems like most responses are for an article different from the one I just skimmed through. 

This thread is garbage and gold at the same time...

Sooo..... G.G.

Inb4 statements that justify AMD's potential future actions.

"Nvidia starting fights with companies left and right!! They're bound to fall!..."

Sarcasm

I'm no AMD fanboy, in fact I dislike both brands equally for different reasons, and I can't say those statements aren't due to an extent. I'm not quite at the level where I know all of the facts outside of slightly biased news articles but they don't look that strong based on what's being reported to begin with. It's by no means grim but I have no faith in NVidia pulling this off assuming it doesn't fall through on both sides.

It's a shitty situation with a lot of back and forth in general and I don't see the point in it, honestly. It almost feels that they're creating drama for no reasons; the companies are so different that I can't help but think it's bullshit. If it were Intel vs. Qualcomm, Apple and AMD, I'd be more keen to think there's legitimacy behind it due to x86/64-bit processing. Yet even then, ARM is in the picture and that changes the dynamic completely.

And NVidia is beginning to create a reputation for that type of behavior, legitimate or not. Kind of ridiculous to me...

Edit: Obligatory click-bait title call-out @ OP.

Apple's fanboys are a huge part of why I don't use Apple products.

Apple fanboys aren't that bad. It's Android fanboys who spam every Apple, iOS or iPhone video on YouTube with their fanboyism. At this stage I'm fed up with people going on about phones in general.

Apple fanboys aren't that bad. It's Android fanboys who spam every Apple, iOS or iPhone video on YouTube with their fanboyism. At this stage I'm fed up with people going on about phones in general.

Eh, Android fanboys act like any other fanboy; it's just that there are a lot of them. A lot of Apple fanboys act like arrogant, crazed religious nuts, and I personally find that more annoying.

This post is no longer a news post and has turned into a ridiculous  he said she said that he said post quite sad need to be taken out of the news thread and put into the Gen post if you ask me, sorry to OP casue that is some good news if you ask me.

Eh, Android fanboys act like any other fanboy; it's just that there are a lot of them. A lot of Apple fanboys act like arrogant, crazed religious nuts, and I personally find that more annoying.

Apple fanboys tend to be in high end, usually professional but often amateur, content creation, and fair enough to them they are the only demographic that Macs really make sense for. And you always get some obnoxious twat going on at them about how Macs are rubbish for gaming. In the same way that a Smart Car makes for a lousy crane, they have a point.

For fucks sake, I am getting so sick and tired of all of these damned patent trolls. Makes me want to punch people in the face, dick, balls, and neck, and also whack them in the kneecap with a steel rod.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Apple fanboys tend to be in high end, usually professional but often amateur, content creation, and fair enough to them they are the only demographic that Macs really make sense for. And you always get some obnoxious twat going on at them about how Macs are rubbish for gaming. In the same way that a Smart Car makes for a lousy crane, they have a point.

What I have never understood is how macs can be better for content creation, when you can get a computer with better hardware for the same price, using Windows or Linux. Like when it comes to rendering things and what not, or video editing.

For example, to my knowledge, the latest mac OS doesn't support X99 and DDR4. Both of which I would imagine are better for video editing and rendering things.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What I have never understood is how macs can be better for content creation, when you can get a computer with better hardware for the same price, using Windows or Linux. Like when it comes to rendering things and what not, or video editing.

You can't. Mac Pros come with a load of RAM, Xeon CPUs, non-consumer grade GPUs. Most people I've seen build similarly priced Hackintoshes have used consumer hardware and skimped on features to match the price. They also haven't considered the software that comes with it that, to get equivalents of the same quality, would add significantly to the price.

You can't. Mac Pros come with a load of RAM, Xeon CPUs, non-consumer grade GPUs. Most people I've seen build similarly priced Hackintoshes have used consumer hardware and skimped on features to match the price. They also haven't considered the software that comes with it that, to get equivalents of the same quality, would add significantly to the price.

It just seems like a limited form factor and handicapped hardware for that form factor. Granted I haven't used one (and probably never will because I'm not a content creator)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs