What to do with 30 old PCs

Mojo-Jojo
Go to solution Solved by Mojo-Jojo,

Thanks for all your ideas guys, the option I saw quite often was sell or donate so that's what's gonna happen :D

I'm gonna help him do some maintenance (undust, combine good parts for a better PC, etc) so they're good again for donation/sale (depends on whether we can find a place to donate them to)

You should get someone that mods casses to practice on them, for like cool designs and custom cut outs :ph34r:

That's a really good idea, if we have spare PC's left with bad parts or anything, I'll see if I can find someone that could use a spare case to practice on.

My uncle works wherever he can and often runs into stuff that noone needs anymore.

For example a couple years ago he got an old limousine that he patched up.

Well, now he has 30 HP PCs (He says they're Pentium 4 PCs, but I'll see when they get here. Pentium 4 is the only processor name he knows so he might just think it's a brand.) and since I'm the "Family Computer Guy" he asked me if I wanted them.

Of course I have some ideas for one or two of them, and they're great for scrap parts for an engineer, but I was wondering if any of you had any crazy ideas  :D

I would put them under my desk and use them as spare parts when needed.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

----------------------------------derp

render farm or folding at home bot farm

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

use them as heaters while folding 

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Turn old hard drives into fridge magnets!

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Step 1: Give them all to me

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Don't do step 1.

Folding

Server

Sledge hammer them

Overclock them all.

Use them as very expensive power consuming heaters

Make an XBMC PC

Ghetto NAS box.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

if you are a gamer try to make some of them the best they could be for the time if possible by combining parts and if need be finding an awesome old vid card somewhere if there isn't one in the 30 pcs you were given.  Much more fun to play old games on the machines they were meant to be played on.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

sell them. you can probably make $25-50 a piece. :)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

You could donate them so their final days will at least be of value to some people. If not, try messing around with them a bit, sell the parts or try creating a server.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

If they are socket 775 Pentium 4 or Ds then they are worth using.You can find anywhere from single core (throwaway) to dual cores, quadcores, and even hyperthreaded chips. 

Personally, I would Install linux on the machines and donate them. 

If you want to experiment with a little you can try making your own cloud storage, with  something like openstack. You can also run Folding@Home and and BOINC projects you find appealing.

You can scrap the ram and HDDS, use them for a NAS build if you wanted, although the HDDs might still be IDE or SCSI era.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Sell them as a joblot. Could make quite a bit of $

you could also make them any kind of farm no judging

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Make a retro LAN center and play quake, 1.6, etc...

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

Do they have only pentium 4 cpu? they must have gpu or something in them,if you need a fileserver you could setup your own home file server, or webserver if you into that stuff.

Anyway 30 is just too much at most you could use 3-4 even if you were to use them for folding a single modern pc with cpu/gpu folding would probably be faster than all 30 at 1/20th of the power draw.

Donate most of them,unless you run some game servers/web server/file servers at home they will be useless.

A huge PC bonfire. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"