Apple reportedly punishes German mag for its iPhone 6 Plus bend test

Aniallation

http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/cb-News-Handy-Apple-boycotts-COMPUTER-BILD-An-open-letter-to-Tim-Cook-10953399.html

http://www.iclarified.com/44293/apple-revokes-pr-accreditation-of-computer-magazine-bild-for-posting-bendgate-video

http://www.cultofmac.com/298249/german-magazine-apple-bend-test/

An iPhone 6 bend test left a German tech magazine with bigger worries than a needlessly broken smartphone: The publication was reportedly banned from future Apple events and told it would no longer receive the Cupertino company’s latest products for review.

Apple’s German PR department reacted in a “disturbing way” to his magazine’s iPhone 6 Plus bend test, writes Computer Bild editor in chief Axel Telzerow in an open letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook. “Instead of answering the questions about why the iPhone 6 Plus is so sensitive, a manager called Computer Bild and told us, that [we] will not get any testing devices and no invites to official events any more.”

Everyone from Internet forum users to mainstream media outlets has been jumping on the “Bendgate” fiasco since a video from Unbox Therapy highlighted how easy it is to bend an iPhone 6 Plus. That video went viral shortly after the new iPhones’ release this month, being viewed millions of times and piquing the public’s interest in Apple’s sleek new smartphones.

Following the departure of Apple PR queen Katie Cotton earlier this year, Cupertino has seemed to soften its formerly draconian attitude toward handling the press. Has Bendgate — the latest in a long line of such overblown controversies about Apple products — touched a nerve, causing Apple to harden its stance, or is this just an overreaction by the German office?

Apple did not immediately respond to Cult of Mac’s request for comment on the subject.

In his open letter to Cook, Computer Bild’s editor explains why the magazine needed to test the durability of the 6 Plus after reports surfaced online claiming the device was bending inside people’s pockets.

“We could not leave the subject without comment,” Telzerow writes. “Of course that required further tests since testing new products without any prejudice is our obligation to our readers.”

Telzerow goes on to say that Computer Bild was “shocked” at how easy it was to bend the 6 Plus, and even more surprised when an Apple PR representative called to say the magazine would no longer be invited to Apple events. But the publication pledges not to abandon its principles, and vows to continue its “incorruptible tests.”

“We congratulate you to your fine new generation of iPhones, even if one of them has a minor weakness with its casing,” Telzerow says. “But we are deeply disappointed about the lack of respect of your company.”

This isn’t the first time Apple has banned certain publications for bad press. Back in November, Cult of Mac columnist Mike Elgan revealed that the company — like many others — has a “blacklist” of people in the media who are punished for their “disloyalty.”

“The Apple ‘blacklist’ for most journalists appears to result from some combination of criticism, cynicism or coverage about specific topics — or breaking the company’s ‘rules’ for coverage,” Elgan wrote. “For example, criticizing Steve Jobs, Apple’s history and culture, or super-harshly criticizing their products will gain most journalists lifelong inclusion on the ‘blacklist.’”

"Rawr XD"

Apple just admitted the phones bend...

That...That is amazing.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I'll bet they fully knew the phones would bend, so that people have to send it to them to have it fixed once it bends after being in your pocket for even just a few minutes.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Jesus christ is this really worthy of news? 

And Apple has done this before. They banned Gizmodo for leaking the iPhone 4. They don't discriminate in their banning. 

Also, this post barely meets news section guidelines, am I right News Team? 

Even Apple fanboys need to stop denying it, the new iPhones bending is a design flaw.

It has still been blown completely out of proportion, so many smartphones can be bent/snapped by hand

Sure I am disappointed by Apple, I love and use their products, everyone was acting like no other phone could be bent by hand when in fact many could, and from Consumer Reports the HTC one can withstand the same force as the iPhone 6/6+, my 6 is super strong and I just took it to london for 4 days, it had a rough time in my pocket I can tell you that, and I dont use cases/screen protectors

Not sure how I feel about their punishment of the magazine, seems just, but seems unfair at the same time, I think articles that can prove damaging to a company are harsh and that company has every right to revoke that reviewers privileges 

That said people should know the truth too, neither are in the right in my opinion

That said, as an iPhone user, I am happy I chose the 6, and have 0 regrets

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Jesus christ is this really worthy of news? 

And Apple has done this before. They banned Gizmodo for leaking the iPhone 4. They don't discriminate in their banning. 

Also, this post barely meets news section guidelines, am I right News Team? 

You where the one that started the official iPhone 6 launch thread.... if that doesn't say something about your Apple-ness idk what does

"Rawr XD"

You where the one that started the official iPhone 6 launch thread.... if that doesn't say something about your Apple-ness idk what does

I started a thread so we could talk about the launch of a popular device that millions of people buy and some on this very forum have bought and use. 

And that makes me a Apple fanboy? 

Excellent critical thinking there. You must win all the Grade 10 debate contests with that kind of wisdom.

Breaking an NDA is different to doing the public a service by testing a phone.

Gizmodo wasn't under a NDA however on any level what so ever. 

Yet it took how long for their ban to lift? It lifted THIS year. 

Apple is free to ban or allow whoever they please for whatever reasons they please, IMO this magazine being banned isn't newsworthy.

Yes. Apple is attempting to suppress a magazine from reporting on the bending issues with the iPhone 6+. I'd say that is pretty news worthy, although this thread needs to have content that's more easily readable. 

Fair enough, but the way the content is presented and laid out is just weak and indicative of a desire just to get news out fast instead of taking some time, and its been getting progressively worse lately. 

Yes. Apple is punishing a magazine for doing their job. I'd say that is pretty news worthy, although this thread needs to have content that's more easily readable. 

Fair enough, but the way the content is presented and laid out is just weak and indicative of a desire just to get news out fast instead of taking some time, and its been getting progressively worse lately. 

I do admit that copy pasted spacing was hideous. Spread them out now

"Rawr XD"

It has still been blown completely out of proportion, so many smartphones can be bent/snapped by hand

Sure I am disappointed by Apple, I love and use their products, everyone was acting like no other phone could be bent by hand when in fact many could, and from Consumer Reports the HTC one can withstand the same force as the iPhone 6/6+, my 6 is super strong and I just took it to london for 4 days, it had a rough time in my pocket I can tell you that, and I dont use cases/screen protectors

Not sure how I feel about their punishment of the magazine, seems just, but seems unfair at the same time, I think articles that can prove damaging to a company are harsh and that company has every right to revoke that reviewers privileges 

That said people should know the truth too, neither are in the right in my opinion

That said, as an iPhone user, I am happy I chose the 6, and have 0 regrets

Yes but you have the 6, we are talking about the 6+, also i don't trust consumer reports, they have been always a little bit biased and i am still mad when they talked shit about the suzuki samurai, so it shows that they are not truthful when it comes to their reports. Also from what i have read they applied pressure with a machine in the middle, not did a real world test or applied force near the volume button area where the phone has the issues.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I'll admit that when I first started to post news topics that it was just to get them out there and to get on the WAN Show. Not even going to lie about that, and I think everybody likes to have the limelight on the WAN Show.

:P 

After a while I stopped caring about that and started to make posts that are of a certain quality, easily readable, and all of the important content is easy to spot. I take my time with my posts, especially now with the new way that I'm posting them. 

COMIC SANS

I used to defend Apple from blatant slander by those on this forum, now my view is they can fuck off. Throwing a hissy fit over journalistic integrity. The public has a right to know about products and as the manufacturer, it is your job to fix flaws, not blacklist journalists for saying what you don't want to hear.

(Granted with other things in the past, my opinion of Apple as a whole wasn't so hot, but I at least tried to be moderate with the products themselves. Shutting down reporting on a broken product instead of fixing it is the last straw)

Edited by Mooshi

I don't see how this is wrong for them to do. I will openly admit to liking Apple products but that's besides the point. Being invited to launch events and getting free products for review is a privilege not a right. It's not like they couldn't have left the problem on the table until further information was released by Apple or Apples manufactures. A bend test is not standard practice when reviewing a phone.

Yes but you have the 6, we are talking about the 6+, also i don't trust consumer reports, they have been always a little bit biased and i am still mad when they talked shit about the suzuki samurai, so it shows that they are not truthful when it comes to their reports. Also from what i have read they applied pressure with a machine in the middle, not did a real world test or applied force near the volume button area where the phone has the issues.

That is the standardized, and fair testing method and shows that under the same pressure other phones would deform and break, not unique to the iPhone,..also from what you have read? I suggest watching the video before commenting about the content it contains

Also a video about a car from 1988? it might bear the same name but does not mean it follows the same practices or employs the same people

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I do admit that copy pasted spacing was hideous. Spread them out now

That's not the issue. The issue is that you copy/pasted the entire article. 

Only copy/paste the important paragraphs and please for the love of God add in some kind of input. I'm sorry if I sound upset, but my goodness LTT, all you guys do is post the source, quote the entire article, and that's that. That's not how it's suppose to be done. 

I try my best to follow Wind's three rules for Tech News, which states:

1) Must have some original input along with the news story from the member on why it is news to them and/or the forum!

2) Your post cannot simply be a link to another news source - see point 1!

3) When quoting or copying content into your post from the original, you must make it very clear that you are doing so with the use of quotations, for example, or some other means.

Although I may do a few things extra, this is all I expect from you guys, and every time these three simple rules are not followed I die a little bit on the inside. 

COMIC SANS

Did my post get deleted or something?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why am I not surprised?

Apple is a business entity... We can safely assume that all its actions are to secure profit and the company's future... They sell products so good publicity is critical...

I can't believe people are defending this terrible behavior.

This is flat out punishment for talking about a product in a bad manner. That is not okay. Reports should be able to report on anything without the fear of getting punished. Imagine if Samsung started threatening with not sending review units if people reported on let's say their phones overheating. That's absurd.

I am not saying that Apple don't have the right to ban people from their own events. I am all for them having that right. What I am against is them using that right to punish people who do not report on them in a favorable light. This is them trying to manipulate the media.

Edit: and before I get a bunch of failed ad hominem attacks against me, calling me an Apple hater, this is what I wrote when Samsung took legal action against a reporter saying the Galaxy S 5 had camera issues:

"Sigh... Samsung just keeps getting worse and worse."

I do not care about the logo on products at all. Right now I am criticizing Apple because they are acting like manipulative assholes, not because I dislike the company.

If true it is entirely unacceptable and quite frankly it is extortion and fascist. However, I leave this up the the folks in the German thread to declare whether the magazine test was over the top or pandering to the populous with their testing, in which case an action like this by apple can be justified.

Is there a video of their test /w captions by any chance?

:edit: nvm think I found the video.

:edit 2: surprise! I still don't understand a lick of German.

Terrible shit is happening... Apple doing bad PR for people showing these very harsh scenarios of bending... On the other hand we have Windows trolling us with their god damn naming schemes.

so many smartphones can be bent/snapped by hand

Ummm... Nope

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Ummm... Nope

Ummm... Yep.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /