Looking to get a handgun for home defense... Best/most economic calibre?

LaboonTheWhale

But that folds out to be a relatively long carbine. I have a narrow hallway so it might be a little cumbersome. but it is a cool looking piece 

In that case, I'd look into something like the Canik TP-9. They're fairly inexpensive without being Hi-Points. 9mm is cheap(er) so you can afford to practice. :)

http://youtu.be/9EOJjYDT7V4

Am I the only one that thinks it's just wrong to be posting this in a forum which, let's face it, is mostly made up of Minors...

Yes, every game under the sun has guns, yes all the kids nowadays know every statistic about every gun ever, but you are talking about actual guns here, talking about how much damage you can cause to a person. - Self defence or not, people get shot

I don't feel strongly about a lot if things, but this is one place where in my opinion, America definitely got it wrong - I sleep well at night because I can have enough confidence that nobody is going to run into my 9 year old brothers school and start shooting. I can go about my life without guns even crossing my mind - and I like it that way.

There have been countless school shootings in America this year, it's been a problem since the 1800s and it's not going away. let's not cause any more.

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

Just buy a Colt 1911 9mm. Those things are reliable as fuck in my experience.

Over in Baltimore, Maryland theres longsword fighting competitions. 

Yeah, I'm from Harford County :3

Fencing is our state sport I'm pretty sure.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

It's England. Even in the north east, it is unlikely for you to come across a firearm. Maybe an air rifle/pistol, but not a firearm in this sense. 

Oh there was a guy in my street owned a side by side shotgun for game shooting and I'm pretty sure i know some one who could get me a fire arm also next year I plan to join both the UKARA and http://www.nra.org.uk/

Hey all

There have been a series of robberies in my area (6 in the past week) and I've been looking into getting a gun for self defense in my property. (not to conceal carry or anything since thats not allowed on campus. I live a foot off campus so I can't carry it around anyways) 

What calibre is decent in a home defense roll but also wont break my bank? I'll probably go to the range often to practice my aim so ammo will get pricey eventually.

.45? 9mm? Or go for a shotgun? 

Thanks. 

Edit: PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS IS BREAKING THE RULES. I will delete everything if it is. 

Edit 2: I have gone to the range before with my dad's friend who owns a 9mm beretta and a .357 blackhawk... thats quite a kick. 

because you live in a populated area, i wouldn't recommend a pistol, there is a higher chance that a round can go through a wall.

Mossberg 500 20ga with birdshot would be my choice for where you live, they can be pretty short and have a pistol grip, all while being manageable.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks it's just wrong to be posting this in a forum which, let's face it, is mostly made up of Minors...

Yes, every game under the sun has guns, yes all the kids nowadays know every statistic about every gun ever, but you are talking about actual guns here, talking about how much damage you can cause to a person. - Self defence or not, people get shot

I don't feel strongly about a lot if things, but this is one place where in my opinion, America definitely got it wrong - I sleep well at night because I can have enough confidence that nobody is going to run into my 9 year old brothers school and start shooting. I can go about my life without guns even crossing my mind - and I like it that way.

There have been countless school shootings in America this year, it's been a problem since the 1800s and it's not going away. let's not cause any more.

OP seemed to be of college age, so I don't really mind it. I've probably wasted time talking actual firearms with minors who just want a cool "AWP" or whatever, so I don't completely disagree with you that it's an odd topic.

We might disagree on rights regarding firearms, but I think we both want to keep our families safe, and just have to see that there's different ways we go about ensuring that.

I had a .38 revolver. It was good but had no saftey. For house defense a shotgun could be good.

You know just looking for a small easy to keep handgun, but nope just bring out the shotgun.

Criminal tries to break in, standing there dual wielding double barrel shotguns because you fucking can.

Case: Carbide 300R

CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.90GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Mobo: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming

GPU: R9 290 Tri-X

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX650G

Storage: 4TB NAS

Drive 1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Drive 2: WD 500gb 7200RPM

Keyboard: Vengeance K50

Headset: Vengeance 1500 V2

Mouse: R.A.T 5

Monitor: LG 24EN33

This is just temporary housing for the school year and I do not want to invest in a security system for such a temporary amount of time. And my house mates have a stupid tendency to walk into the house drunk and forge to lock the door let alone arm a security system. 

...and you feel comfortable with keeping a firearm in the same apartment with these people?

Honestly, I can't imagine a simple alarm for an apartment would be more expensive than a decent handgun and rounds. Frankly, if you haven't had safety training, I don't think you should own a gun.

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

Stating that he would love to see my home be invaded and my family killed is rather disturbing.

That is incorrect, I said I'd love to see you defend yourself with a bat in that instance.

Pro-tip: you'd be shot even trying to.

What's wrong with children learning about self-defence, how to properly take care, use and store a gun, and its effectiveness?

Because im a minor im incapable of hearing about weaponry? Also your part about the shootings in schools, they could of just gotten unregistered firearms if they wanted.

EDIT: After thinking about it more, he could have just got propane tanks and made a couple bombs, then placed them outside of class rooms or even better, thrown them in the classroom. It dosent have to be guns. He could have used a short sword and stabbed tons of people. quiter than a gun he could convince the kids to be quite. Your argument is invalid. killed lots more people.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Go anime on their asses

88K_m.jpg

but yeah, glocks are pretty good from what I've heard.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Ok, I'm not a mod, but if I may assume a position of authority for a moment: PLEASE STOP DISCUSSING GUN POLITICS AND LIMIT YOURSELF TO CONCRETE ADVICE FOR THE OP. I have yet to see an internet gun control debate that doesn't devolve into a flame war, and getting this thread locked helps no one.

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

...and you feel comfortable with keeping a firearm in the same apartment with these people?

Honestly, I can't imagine a simple alarm for an apartment would be more expensive than a decent handgun and rounds. Frankly, if you haven't had safety training, I don't think you should own a gun.

I'd hope he keeps his gun stored and locked up, or on his person, at all times. Leaving a gun lying around is an idiotic thing to do, yes.

But a gun is infinitely more effective than any alarm, providing he knows how to use it.

Ok, I'm not a mod, but if I may assume a position of authority for a moment

Uh, no, you may not.

PLEASE STOP DISCUSSING GUN POLITICS AND LIMIT YOURSELF TO CONCRETE ADVICE FOR THE OP

It's on topic, so no.

I'd hope he keeps his gun stored and locked up, or on his person, at all times. Leaving a gun lying around is an idiotic thing to do, yes.

But a gun is infinitely more effective than any alarm, providing he knows how to use it.

And he's already said that he doesn't have safety training, so what does that tell you?

And he's already said that he doesn't have safety training, so what does that tell you?

He can get some, and alot of it is common sense. Dont point it at anyone unless you're going to pull the trigger, keep it locked up, and make sure the saftey is on. (obvioulsy there is more) besides he can get training.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Armor piercing punch, not much stopping power but it's military rounds can penetrate body armor 

Yea that's a good idea in theory until that 5.7mm goes through the guy in your house through the wall and into your neighbors bedroom. When buying a home defense weapon you want something that has a low velocity and a lot of mass so it delivers a knockdown punch but doesn't put others at risk by overpenetrating the intended target. Low power buckshot, birdshot or light load hollow points in 9mm/.40/.45 are all suitable for this. Magnum cartridges are not a good idea as they can easily overpenetrate even if they are hollow point. Another good option is a Taurus judge .45 Long Colt loaded with .410 multi-load shot shells. It's basically a shotgun in your pocket as you can get one with a 2 inch barrel.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

He doesn't need official training, he can research the basics and learn to use it himself.

Yea that's a good idea in theory until that 5.7mm goes through the guy in your house through the wall and into your neighbors bedroom. When buying a home defense weapon you want something that has a low velocity and a lot of mass so it delivers a knockdown punch but doesn't put others at risk by overpenetrating the intended target. Low power buckshot, birdshot or light load hollow points in 9mm/.40/.45 are all suitable for this. Magnum cartridges are not a good idea as they can easily overpenetrate even if they are hollow point. Another good option is a Taurus judge .45 Long Colt loaded with .410 multi-load shot shells. It's basically a shotgun in your pocket as you can get one with a 2 inch barrel.

Did I recommend it for home defense?

No I didn't. 

Oh please, you don't need a gun. A simple blunt instrument will do the job. 

Say that to the guy that breaks into your house with a stolen glock.

I suggest a .45, or a .40. Maybe a .357 or .44 revolver if you feel you need the extra oomph.

The .45 and .40 are good because they have lower velocity and less chance of over-penetration, the .357 or .44 revolver for reliability, and certainty of effectiveness.

Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, get training. get the gun first, and get some training for it, even if it's only one basic safety class.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

He doesn't need official training, he can research the basics and learn to use it himself.

This is very true, however I would still recommend at least 1 safety course. They can show you a lot that online research might not. How to properly grip the gun for your frame, how tight to hold it, they can give you some good experiences with it, and a good safe foundation to build on.

The most important thing is, never seek out the attacker. Stay in the room you are in when the break in occurs, and be ready to defend yourself should they come after you, call the police and wait. If you see or hear the door start opening, warn whoever is behind it that you have a gun and you will fire. And make sure you are crouched behind something, and don't be standing directly on the other side of the door, etc. Pre-planning how you defend your house can go a long way to avoiding having to use the gun, and to avoid accidentally harming someone that was not a threat.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, get training. get the gun first, and get some training for it, even if it's only one basic safety class.

Also consider a mechanical lock box (no batteries) that you can bolt to the floor next to your bed or somewhere else easy to get so unwanted people don't get the gun but you have access to it. It has to be easy to open of course. Most gun atrocities happen because people don't freaking lock their firearms away

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Springfield Armory XDm .40 S&W, best gun you will ever own

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.2ghz MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero-RAM:HyperX Fury 8gb PSU: Corsair CX750M-GPU: MSI 390x 8g HDD:WD Green 1TB KEYBOARD: Rosewill RGB8-MOUSE: Corsair Gaming RGB M65