Looking to get a handgun for home defense... Best/most economic calibre?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey all

There have been a series of robberies in my area (6 in the past week) and I've been looking into getting a gun for self defense in my property. (not to conceal carry or anything since thats not allowed on campus. I live a foot off campus so I can't carry it around anyways) 

What calibre is decent in a home defense roll but also wont break my bank? I'll probably go to the range often to practice my aim so ammo will get pricey eventually.

.45? 9mm? Or go for a shotgun? 

Thanks. 

Edit: PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS IS BREAKING THE RULES. I will delete everything if it is. 

Edit 2: I have gone to the range before with my dad's friend who owns a 9mm beretta and a .357 blackhawk... thats quite a kick. 

Edit 3: holy wow this thread exploded. 

10mm, .40 caliber, decent stopping power but also not to much recoil for new shooter. 

10mm Glocks 20's go for about $550

9mm, or if you can get a .22 its even cheaper but does like NO damage (man i sound like im playing a videogame)

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

I had a .38 revolver. It was good but had no saftey. For house defense a shotgun could be good.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

9mm, or if you can get a .22 its even cheaper but does like NO damage (man i sound like im playing a videogame)

Are we talking like cuddly kitten damage? or wooden spoon damage?

I had a .38 revolver. It was good but had no saftey. For house defense a shotgun could be good.

All the birdshot! (So many holes xD)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you don't have much experience firing, 9mm is a good round.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Oh please, you don't need a gun. A simple blunt instrument will do the job. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I found a Five-SeveN for ~500$.

The Five-Seven's round is a "cute" neat little round. I say "little" but I'm sure i packs a decent punch.

EDIT: *facepalm* I feel retarded, I commented before looking at the link. >.>

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I have a narrow hallway leading down a narrow staircase so that made me think a shotgun wouldnt be as maneuverable around the house being so long which is why I though handgun. 

If you don't have much experience firing, 9mm is a good round.

I've shot guns before (of course no safety course training) just fired a friend's gun at the range. 

Anything with a lot of stopping power. Basically whatever drops the assailant to the ground so they are no longer a threat, can be done without killing them if you're a good shot too. Probably .357 or .45 caliber.

Are .357 available in a semi automatic version? or basically with revolvers. .45 sounds nice but I hear that gets pricey. 

Oh please, you don't need a gun. A simple blunt instrument will do the job. 

Go away.

I'd love to see your house be broken into by some guy with a gun about to rob your house and shoot your family dead, while you try to defend yourself with a bat.

The Five-Seven's round is a "cute" neat little round. I say "little" but I'm sure i packs a decent punch.

Isnt the 5.7x28mm round kinda expensive? 

I have a narrow hallway leading down a narrow staircase so that made me think a shotgun wouldnt be as maneuverable around the house being so long which is why I though handgun. 

I've shot guns before (of course no safety course training) just fired a friend's gun at the range. 

Are .357 available in a semi automatic version? or basically with revolvers. .45 sounds nice but I hear that gets pricey. 

.357 are magnum rounds which basically means they have more gunpowder so they are only designed for revolvers. Other than that 10mm or 9mm can carry a bit of weight behind them too and are much cheaper than .45 caliber.

If you have experience then .45 is a heavy hitting round. Like you said though, the fire arms do get more expensive.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

45 acp hits like a truck and target rounds are very affordable. You can get a revolver or semi in that caliber which is a nice way to optimize the rounds you need to buy. I have a commander 1911 for carry and a Governor that sits on the nightstand next to my 870 Magpul. 

I will say being the owner of several handguns that nothing will make someone run away faster then an alarm in your home. I would say if you want a gun cool, get one but get a wireless alarm and have a panic button or two in areas you see as practical. You own guns "just in case" but its great never to have to use them in that "case"

Isnt the 5.7x28mm round kinda expensive? 

Armor piercing punch, not much stopping power but it's military rounds can penetrate body armor