Looking to get a handgun for home defense... Best/most economic calibre?

LaboonTheWhale

357sig or a 40. The most economical would be a 9mm, I'm excluding 22 on purpose.

10mm rounds are hard to find locally.

If all else fails, 30-06

Go away.

I'd love to see your house be broken into by some guy with a gun about to rob your house and shoot your family dead, while you try to defend yourself with a bat.

That's a very kind thing of you to say. But please, keep your strange, and frankly rather disturbing fetishes away from me. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

45 acp hits like a truck and target rounds are very affordable. You can get a revolver or semi in that caliber which is a nice way to optimize the rounds you need to buy. I have a commander 1911 for carry and a Governor that sits on the nightstand next to my 870 Magpul. 

I will say being the owner of several handguns that nothing will make someone run away faster then an alarm in your home. I would say if you want a gun cool, get one but get a wireless alarm and have a panic button or two in areas you see as practical. You own guns "just in case" but its great never to have to use them in that "case"

This is just temporary housing for the school year and I do not want to invest in a security system for such a temporary amount of time. And my house mates have a stupid tendency to walk into the house drunk and forge to lock the door let alone arm a security system. 

Isnt the 5.7x28mm round kinda expensive? 

It looks like it would be expensive to make. So yea, I would agree. It's like a mini .223 round. And the pistol itself is super damn expensive, as it's mostly a military weapon. 

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

That a very kind of you to say. But please, keep your strange, and frankly rather disturbing fetishes away from me. 

Considering the fact that a junkie or anyone really is able to get a firearm (even illegally) i'd rather stay having the upperhand or level ground with a firearm instead of sitting there looking at the barrel of some guy breaking into my house. Don't worry I'm not one of those guys that is the Stereotyped american that loves his guns. I just want one incase some asshole gets a little nosey in our house. 

It looks like it would be expensive to make. So yea, I would agree. It's like a mini .223 round. And the pistol itself is super damn expensive, as it's mostly a military weapon. 

I have a friend who him and his dad are like that stereotypical right wing Republicans that are kinda gun obsessed and he owns one of the civie version of the P90 with the long barrel... looks so goofy but its still the same round. 

Armor piercing punch, not much stopping power but it's military rounds can penetrate body armor 

yeah you don't need armor piercing rounds for home defense, unless you live in eastern ukraine.

get a .410 Handgun (Taurus Judge) sooo much fun to shoot, but best to get a 9mm since it will be cheaper but ammo is hard to find, well in my area you cant find it. Also go to a Gun store with a shooting range to get a feel for different guns and also shoot them.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Considering the fact that a junkie or anyone really is able to get a firearm (even illegally) i'd rather stay having the upperhand or level ground with a firearm instead of sitting there looking at the barrel of some guy breaking into my house. Don't worry I'm not one of those guys that is the Stereotyped american that loves his guns. I just want one incase some asshole gets a little nosey in our house. 

Well, you did hit the nail on the head with what I was partially worried about. It is often the case with people talking about buying guns. It's just a shame that the other fellow doesn't understand that it's not so easy to get your hand on a firearm in all countries. And in truth, I would back up your reasons to pick up a handgun to defend yourself in that situation. Especially in a land like America. 

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Well, you did hit the nail on the head with what I was partially worried about. It is often the case with people talking about buying guns. It's just a shame that the other fellow doesn't understand that it's not so easy to get your hand on a firearm in all countries. And in truth, I would back up your reasons to pick up a handgun to defend yourself in that situation. Especially in a land like America. 

Yeah... I do like guns don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have one knowing that I would at least be able to defend myself. Especially when my area is having an epidemic with heroin users on the rise. 

These guys don't know jack about guns.

Whats your price range? For $400ish the Rurger SR9c (c for compact) is a great 9mm. It's one of my personal carry weapons and I love it for the price. Very accurate and very comfortable. Has a thumb safety and a popup notification on top (red bar) to let you know there is one in the chamber.

Another one at the price point is the M&P Shield.

Going anything over a 9mm like the 40 or 45 are much heavier and least wanted for home defense.

9mm ammo is also pretty plentiful and easy to get.

Ruger LC9 is another great 9mm option and is a bit smaller. 

Edit: Do apply for a concealed weapons permit even if you don't intend to carry one personally. It does help with you getting comfortable with a weapon, having one stuck to your side. 

Also always treat every gun as if it is loaded even if you know it's unloaded.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

That's a very kind thing of you to say. But please, keep your strange, and frankly rather disturbing fetishes away from me. 

I wasn't aware that owning a gun for your own protection was a "strange and rather disturbing fetish." 

COMIC SANS

These guys don't know jack about guns.

Whats your price range? For $400ish the Rurger SR9c (c for compact) is a great 9mm. It's one of my personal carry weapons and I love it for the price. Very accurate and very comfortable. Has a thumb safety and a popup notification on top (red bar) to let you know there is one in the chamber.

Another one at the price point is the M&P Shield.

Going anything over a 9mm like the 40 or 45 are much heavier and least wanted for home defense.

9mm ammo is also pretty plentiful and easy to get.

Ruger LC9 is another great 9mm option and is a bit smaller. 

Edit: Do apply for a concealed weapons permit even if you don't intend to carry one personally. It does help with you getting comfortable with a weapon, having one stuck to your side. 

Also always treat every gun as if it is loaded even if you know it's unloaded.

Oh yes. I do know to treat a firearm like its always live. I know enough not to point it at people and go pew pew. (heh) I didn't think of a pricepoint yet for a gun itself. I was gonna determine what calibre and go from there. 

What happened to the days of blades?

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I wasn't aware that owning a gun for your own protection was a "strange and rather disturbing fetish." 

I don't believe you read the post I had quoted. Stating that he would love to see my home be invaded and my family killed is rather disturbing. I just added fetish onto the end just for the sake of it. 

If this is purely for home defense go with a shotgun. With a pistol you have to be more accurate and if it is just for home defense with a shot gun your not going to be shooting more than 10 feet away so your almost sure to hit them.

What happened to the days of blades?

Over in Baltimore, Maryland theres longsword fighting competitions. 

I don't believe you read the post I had quoted. Stating that he would love to see my home be invaded and my family killed is rather disturbing. I just added fetish onto the end just for the sake of it. 

Oh please. He was saying it (for a lack of better words) sarcastically. He was using a figure of speech. He was making a point. I'm sure that he doesn't wish for anything malicious to happen to you. 

COMIC SANS

I think a shotgun is prefect for what you need, if you ahve a long hallway all the birshot going down it is gr8. Besides after most people here the shotgun rack, there gone. If they are not gone then shoot some birdshot. Still there? Fire some slugs in them and they wont get up.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Oh please, you don't need a gun. A simple blunt instrument will do the job. 

Guess the place you're in isn't too bad.

Oh please. He was saying it (for a lack of better words) sarcastically. He was using a figure of speech. He was making a point. I'm sure that he doesn't wish for anything malicious to happen to you. 

And I never said he did. However, saying it was out of order, no matter how it was supposed to be interpreted.  I am sure that it was metaphorically speaking, however, there are better ways of getting your point across with the argument for owning a firearm. 

For home defense I'd lean towards a pistol caliber carbine in your situation. Something like a Kel-Tec SUB-2000 is easier to control, and can be configured with a few different pistol magazines.

If you're set on a handgun, I'd go for either 9mm or .45 ACP for ammo availability.

I think a shotgun is prefect for what you need, if you ahve a long hallway all the birshot going down it is gr8. Besides after most people here the shotgun rack, there gone. If they are not gone then shoot some birdshot. Still there? Fire some slugs in them and they wont get up.

I could always go skeet shooting with a shotgun... hmmm

For home defense I'd lean towards a pistol caliber carbine in your situation. Something like a Kel-Tec SUB-2000 is easier to control, and can be configured with a few different pistol magazines.

If you're set on a handgun, I'd go for either 9mm or .45 ACP for ammo availability.

But that folds out to be a relatively long carbine. I have a narrow hallway so it might be a little cumbersome. but it is a cool looking piece 

Guess the place you're in isn't too bad.

It's England. Even in the north east, it is unlikely for you to come across a firearm. Maybe an air rifle/pistol, but not a firearm in this sense.