Looking to get a handgun for home defense... Best/most economic calibre?

LaboonTheWhale

Is he a Swede too? Or from somewhere else?

Also, I'm curious: how strict are the laws regarding firearms in Sweden? Here, hunting weapons are still easy to get, but something like even a .22 pistol is near impossible for a civilian to get, just because the laws here have gotten stricter due to few school shootings (most were done with .22 pistols, if not all). Good that we can still get any kinds of air guns / airsoft guns / bows, knives and swords and don't need a licence for any of them (yet, at least).

Yeah he's a swede^^ 

Well the funniest thing is that we can own fully automatic machine pistols if we're in the right gun clubs. (Not machine guns or "Assault weapons" though)

If i remember correctly there are 2 kinds of licenses. A hunting license which allows the ownership of shotguns and bolt action rifles. And sport shooting. Which allows many things depending on the club you're in.

And we actually have to use a .22 for the first six months before getting a different pistol/rifle 

The main problem is the availability of the guns. Bolt action rifles and shotguns are common. But there aren't that many interesting pistols to be had.

When i get my firearms license i'll try to get a beretta 92fs (I've tried it and i liked it) or a finnish luger copy^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Yeah he's a swede^^ 

Well the funniest thing is that we can own fully automatic machine pistols if we're in the right gun clubs. (Not machine guns or "Assault weapons" though)

If i remember correctly there are 2 kinds of licenses. A hunting license which allows the ownership of shotguns and bolt action rifles. And sport shooting. Which allows many things depending on the club you're in.

And we actually have to use a .22 for the first six months before getting a different pistol/rifle 

The main problem is the availability of the guns. Bolt action rifles and shotguns are common. But there aren't that many interesting pistols to be had.

When i get my firearms license i'll try to get a beretta 92fs (I've tried it and i liked it) or a finnish luger copy^^

And here we just have to stick with shooting ranges. I believe at shooting ranges you can shoot with pistols that wouldn't be available for civilians, but you can't own them here. Even owning a .22 pistol requires at least 5 year active participation at certain gun clubs, some required age that's at least over 23 years or something close, and the only thing you can use them for is for target shooting or collecting. Well... Same would go for hunting weapons, but... Hunting weapons obviously have an actual purpose. Hunting varmints with .22 is a bit questionable, but for some instances .22 rifles could be allowed, not sure though... But at least .22 pistols are a big no-no for that.

Pretty much similar restrictions go for rifle calibers higher than general hunting calibers: anything above .338 Lapua Magnum is considered overkill and unnecessary for hunting. But the highest caliber hunting rifles you commonly see here are .308 Winchester, as they aren't yet too difficult to get. Even if .338 is legal for hunting here, good luck getting a licence for them.

Not sure about sport shooting, but for hunting at least, when it comes to rifles, the max magazine size is 5 for bolt-action rifles and 2 for semi autos (there's 2 round RK-62 clips for some reason, even though those aren't civilian legal at all). I don't have much knowledge about laws regarding shotguns, though.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

A handgun is a bad choice for home defense. unless you have all brick/double brick walls a handgun shot will just go through the wall and unintentionally hit someone or break something like a TV. Small shotgun with a high count buckshot will get the same job done more safely, IMO.

Then again you don't even need a gun. Don't be unreasonable.

Any lethal round will penetrate walls. If you can't penetrate drywall, it isn't going to be effective on a person.

main(i){for(;i<101;i++)printf("Fizz\n\0Fizzz\bBuzz\n\0%d\n"+(!(i%5)^!!(i%3)*3)*6,i);}

...And my house mates have a stupid tendency to walk into the house drunk and forge to lock the door let alone arm a security system. 

This is a tragic accident waiting to happen if there is a live firearm in the house....  I would fix this problem first before anything else....

If you are set on a firearm, 9mm makes the most sense to me in a cost perspective and for what you intend.  I'm assuming you just want to "stop the threat" and not "KILL the threat".  They are two very different things....  Also, I've always wanted to try one of these:

Dominion Arms Grizzly Shotgun - 12.5 w/Ghost Ring Sights - https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/dominion-arms-grizzly-shotgun-12-5-w-ghost-ring-sightsThe Dominion Arms Grizzly is a short barreled Remington 870 made in China. They come in 8.5 inch and 12.5 inch barrel lengths

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

And here we just have to stick with shooting ranges. I believe at shooting ranges you can shoot with pistols that wouldn't be available for civilians, but you can't own them here. Even owning a .22 pistol requires at least 5 year active participation at certain gun clubs, some required age that's at least over 23 years or something close, and the only thing you can use them for is for target shooting or collecting. Well... Same would go for hunting weapons, but... Hunting weapons obviously have an actual purpose. Hunting varmints with .22 is a bit questionable, but for some instances .22 rifles could be allowed, not sure though... But at least .22 pistols are a big no-no for that.

Pretty much similar restrictions go for rifle calibers higher than general hunting calibers: anything above .338 Lapua Magnum is considered overkill and unnecessary for hunting. But the highest caliber hunting rifles you commonly see here are .308 Winchester, as they aren't yet too difficult to get. Even if .338 is legal for hunting here, good luck getting a licence for them.

Not sure about sport shooting, but for hunting at least, when it comes to rifles, the max magazine size is 5 for bolt-action rifles and 2 for semi autos (there's 2 round RK-62 clips for some reason, even though those aren't civilian legal at all). I don't have much knowledge about laws regarding shotguns, though.

Around here the required age is 18. And then it's just six months before you can get something bigger than a .22. (And of course you are legally required to have a gun safe that is bolted to the floor. + the guns are only allowed to be out of the safe if you're going to the range)

I haven't seen any caliber restrictions yet. (But im sure there are some. Since hunting deer with 700 nitro express is a bit overkill)

700_zpsed57e749.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Bird shot can still blow a hole through a thick plate of steel. I can empty the whole gun in like 5 seconds. The force alone can kill you. 

This man got shot with bird shot. Listen to what happened to him. 

That guy was still alive and was even able to move. Imagine if the guy had a gun; he could have still fought back.

Not to mention that you're forcing yourself into a situation where you're much more likely to have to take multiple shots, increasing the risk that you'll miss, and if it misses, a wall's not going to do much to stop it.

That guy was still alive and was even able to move. Imagine if the guy had a gun; he could have still fought back.

Not to mention that you're forcing yourself into a situation where you're much more likely to have to take multiple shots, increasing the risk that you'll miss, and if it misses, a wall's not going to do much to stop it.

First of all, he was shot from a bit far away. and he was only hit twice, once on the chest, and once in the arm. He was an extremely lucky case. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

.50 cal desert eagle, get one of those bad boys.

gold plated?

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

gold plated?

with diamonds embedded init! 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

gold plated?

#killstreak

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

An oft-replied-to topic this one, so this may have been covered - but here goes...

If you are asking this question, you probably don't have any formal firearms training. I read that you've been to the shooting range a few times, but if you're going to own and maintain a firearm you need to be properly trained. Without adequate training you are more likely to injure yourself/those around you than you are to fend off any imagined assailant.

If you get proper training then that process will probably answer this question for you, as you will get used to the feel of various types of weapons and develop a knowledge of how they work. You have to remember that it's not just about sticking bullets in and off you go, a poorly-maintained gun can seriously injure the user, so you need to know how to look after your weapon (add snigger here).

Internet forums are really no replacement for practical training from qualified professionals when it comes to weapons.

First of all, he was shot from a bit far away. and he was only hit twice, once on the chest, and once in the arm. He was an extremely lucky case. 

The question is, do you want to rely on him not being a lucky case?

The question is, do you want to rely on him not being a lucky case?

It's still got more stopping power than most weapons. I don't have to register it, it cost me 100$, and I can fire off multiple shots in quick succession. Not to mention it'd be hard to miss, and if I did happen to hit them in the head, well that's that. I am a really good shot. I just needed a gun, and that's it. One day I will get something better, and something to shoot for fun, but for now It's just fine. 

I don't exactly expect to be raided by someone with a drawn gun, but I don't want to have nothing where I live. 

muh specs 

All parts black

It's still got more stopping power than most weapons. I don't have to register it, it cost me 100$, and I can fire off multiple shots in quick succession. Not to mention it'd be hard to miss, and if I did happen to hit them in the head, well that's that. I am a really good shot. I just needed a gun, and that's it. One day I will get something better, and something to shoot for fun, but for now It's just fine. 

I don't exactly expect to be raided by someone with a drawn gun, but I don't want to have nothing where I live. 

Every weapon has its advantages and its disadvantages for a home defense role. I dont pretend to have all of the answers, but I would take your shotgun over a hammer or bat every day of the week. 

I see a rifle as the ultimate defensive choice. Lots of ammo on tap, 5.56 x 45mm power, with a round that wont go through a dozen sheets of drywall. In fact because of how the 5.56 round is designed and its ballistics it will go through less sheets of drywall than a 9mm pistol round. I dont keep this under my pillow or even next to my bed, I keep it in the safe, but if things go really really bad, its there.

2013-11-05205812_zpsdd0241b1.jpg

Things have got to get biblically bad before this isn't enough.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Shotgun's really not bad for home defense. It's just that loading it with birdshot is a huge gamble. 00 buck seems to be the standard, and slugs seem like they'd be good if you can handle the recoil.

It's pretty damn easy to miss when you're panicking and trying to shoot a running target. Going for a headshot just makes it easier to miss on top of that.

Bow and arrow.

If you're gonna kill, at least be a badass.

Shotgun's really not bad for home defense. It's just that loading it with birdshot is a huge gamble. 00 buck seems to be the standard, and slugs seem like they'd be good if you can handle the recoil.

It's pretty damn easy to miss when you're panicking and trying to shoot a running target. Going for a headshot just makes it easier to miss on top of that.

I wouldn't go for the head, but I have a small house, and would be firing really close range. 

muh specs 

All parts black

WHO THE FUCK NEEDS A SHOTGUN IN THEIR HOUSE?!

Are you getting robbed by a human or a Xenomorph?

I see a rifle as the ultimate defensive choice. Lots of ammo on tap, 5.56 x 45mm power, with a round that wont go through a dozen sheets of drywall. In fact because of how the 5.56 round is designed and its ballistics it will go through less sheets of drywall than a 9mm pistol round. I dont keep this under my pillow or even next to my bed, I keep it in the safe, but if things go really really bad, its there.

Walls aren't going to do anything to any bullet. Glaser safety slugs will go through 2 interior walls. (source: box o' truth)

I wouldn't go for the head, but I have a small house, and would be firing really close range. 

You'd be surprised how badly you can screw up when you're panicking.

It's not like there's a reason the police usually have rifles in their patrol cars, these days.

1. I don't have to register it. 

2. It was 100$ from a friend

3. It's scary as hell. If someone doesn't have a gun, maybe armed with a knife or something, the sound of it being loaded alone may be enough to avoid having to shoot an intruder. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Walls aren't going to do anything to any bullet. Glaser safety slugs will go through 2 interior walls. (source: box o' truth)

You'd be surprised how badly you can screw up when you're panicking.

I know that. But again I'm not armed to the teeth or anything. Just minimally. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I know that. But again I'm not armed to the teeth or anything. Just minimally. 

I'm just saying, 00 buck reduces required follow up shots.

You're asking on a technology forum...

I'd say pick yourself up a 3D printer. There's also quick trip to the hardware store and make your own zipgun or improvised firearm for the DIY inclined.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

What are you talking about?

No one here ever claimed that a bullet fired from any gun wont penetrate a wall.

Of course any projectile that is good for anything is going to penetrate a wall. But its pretty over the top to say that a wall wont do anything. With a high velocity projectile, it will lose stability almost instantly when it touches anything. After it has lost stability they will bleed off their energy extremely quickly.

Often heavier lower velocity projectiles will penetrate more walls.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro