Google’s $1B purchase of Twitch confirmed — joins YouTube for new video empire

Aps

Source - http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/24/googles-1b-purchase-of-twitch-confirmed-joins-youtube-for-new-video-empire/

Another article on the subject - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/googles-deal-to-buy-twitch-confirmed-according-to-/1100-6421288/

'We don’t know everything about this deal, such as when it will be announced and the exact purchase price. We do know that Twitch investors who participated in past rounds are pleased that they will be getting significant returns that are multiple times the amount they originally invested. The deal underscores the value of live Internet streaming and the rise of competitive gaming as a spectator sport — something that draws millions of viewers, can offer prize pools that surpass pro golf’s marquee events, and provides a multibillion dollar opportunity for advertisers.'

Yet to have a statement from Google about this, so not much more I can add to this. I wonder what this means for streamers, if it means anything? Right now this is just a rumour, no official statement from Google to confirm or deny this. 

I personally think if this is true it could:

A - be a good thing, helping out streamers and creating a better streaming service.

B- Be terrible, Google realize it sucks and then they go what Google does best and just cut Twitch.

Honestly I do prefer the YouTube live streams when I can get them more than I do the Twitch ones due to being able to pause and rewind. I use the YouTube stream for LCS all the time, even if I miss the first few matches I can load it up and click back to the start of the video! This is a feature I'd love to see in Twitch. 

meh.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Damn, that was a more expensive aquisition than YouTube!

I'd say worth though. I wonder if Google do take over Twitch how much money Google would take from the streamers profits, if any.

So it's "confirmed" but not confirmed?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I'd say worth though. I wonder if Google do take over Twitch how much money Google would take from the streamers profits, if any.

I got them the wrong way round I edited, sorry.

"Google+ added to Twitch with latest update" 

*everyone quits the internet*

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Well now Viacom will have to find a way to force google to fuck it up. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

NO. FUCK NO. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THIS EVEN IF SOMEONE BRIBED ME.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So it's "confirmed" but not confirmed?

I didn't name the article xD I named this post the same as the article, right now this is all speculation but you know what the Internet is like.

Here we go with the ridiculous ads again :P 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Heh my guess is investors will see little value in the twitch acquisition if it happens at all. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Google's reversal to not require real names on Google+ anymore makes more sense now. It's just speculation, but it's possible that was a requirement by Twitch for the acquisition.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

As long as they do what supposedly Facebook is doing with Oculus, being that they are only putting money into it and not effecting how the company works in a way that would merge it with Facebook but instead keeping it separate from Facebook then it will be all good.... but if they dare putting Google + all over it and messing with the Twitch website and start breaking things like they did with YouTube I will seriously be mad.

i got a youtube style add today with skib buttom looked exactly like those on youtube havent seen that before on twitch

Regardless of if it does or does not go through,  the internet is just evolving through 50 years of supply/demand corporate shifting in a contracted 10 year space,  as servers and domestic internet becomes faster/cheaper the playing field will eventually level and we will be left with about 5 major players to choose from for large scale services.  I would be much more worried about government control and security than this.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As long as they do what supposedly Facebook is doing with Oculus, being that they are only putting money into it and not effecting how the company works in a way that would merge it with Facebook but instead keeping it separate from Facebook then it will be all good.... but if they dare putting Google + all over it and messing with the Twitch website and start breaking things like they did with YouTube I will seriously be mad.

I agree with you here. Google could make or break Twitch here, and we all know what Google does to the things that fail for them...

Considering that Google fired the people that merged + with Youtube I think it's safe to assume that won't happen with Twitch.

everyone commenting about g+ integration, forget that and think bigger, that not the worst thing that could happen, the worst is baseless copyright claims and DMCA takedowns, if google truly ends up owning twitch, that going to be the major issues just like youtube, did you guy forgot the mess that happened in november about copyright claims, almost all the gaming channels got copyright strikes and most of them were outright ridiculous, because of trolls and the automated system which flags video automatically without even sending the info to the supposed owner of the content, here are just one the many cases, also IIRC either nerd cubed or totalbiscuit got automatically flagged by valve during that mess, the culprit supposedly was the automated system, so yeah g+ integration should be the least of your worries

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I think everyone is overreacting a bit...

Google learned their lesson with G+ integration into YouTube and got major hate for it. They're backing off on G+, and name enforcement and such because they know it is not popular. They need traffic to keep their sites up and money flowing in.

However... I am worried about copyright issues.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I think everyone is overreacting a bit...

Google learned their lesson with G+ integration into YouTube and got major hate for it. They're backing off on G+, and name enforcement and such because they know it is not popular. They need traffic to keep their sites up and money flowing in.

However... I am worried about copyright issues.

Backing off how? We are still stuck with G+ 

Backing off how? We are still stuck with G+ 

My mistake. My account has been broken ever since and I didn't really ever agree to the integration until awhile after it had been done and I've heard bits and pieces of news about Google backpeddling on G+ policies.

Even after agreeing to it my account still can't post comments. So I can't enter into a lot of these give aways Linus and other YouTubers do.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

While I hate the idea of G+ integration (if it happens) I do like the idea of Google buying them as Twitch has some pretty serious streaming issues. The amount of time's I have sat and waited for a stream to buffer is beyond annoying. I shouldn't be buffering on an 80Meg download speed and 20Meg upload. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15