Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

Youtube doesn't force ads over 30 seconds. Any longer ads have the skip option.

Edit: At least in the U.S. I'm not sure about Mexico tho.

Pressing "skip add" is as good as blocking it from the get go depending on the ad sense scheme the content creator uses: some of them choose a method that doesn't pays anything unless people watch the add all the way to the end.

Not sure how common that scheme is though but if you were planning on supporting anyone and still click "skip" please check with them to see if they're actually getting anything from it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Again, ADBLOCK is a double edged sword.

Not defending anyone here, but I'm sure Linus didn't mean to offend anyone.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

For me, its not the length of time that matters, its how annoying the content of the ad is. And from my perspective, ad execs seem to think that the more annoying an ad is, the better it does. (see flo from progressive, those FUCKING RETARDED sonic commercials [i literally hate those guys more than anything else in the world])

Edit: I hate them more than I hate apple and government combined, and thats saying something

I think we get a better class of ad in Australia then,  Only a couple of annoying ones, but mostly they are easy to ignore and most of the time we get the skip button.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The problem with that arguement is that it isn't an argument at all.

They provide a service, they are legally responsible for anything that goes on, on that service (if they don't immediately report it upon finding out about it). If you honestly think they dont make every single dime they can off of it, then you need to be a little more skeptical.

Edit: and as far as me being a conpiracy theorist, my signature is basically an explanation of what the NSA has been doing for years, can you honestly trust ANY company or government organization after that bullshit came out? They pay for the bandwidth they use, adverts take up bandwidth, hence, they pay more for having adverts on their websites, hence the ISP's make money off of adverts. It's called Transitive Property

Actually they're not legally responsible: That's why DMCA take notices were invented and warrants are issued to compel ISPs to cooperate and reveal the information but they don't have to look at it and neither are they directly responsible for what goes on their service. In fact net neutrality arguments is precisely that: ISPs are not supposed to be looking at what information you're transferring and then throttling their service according to their interests.

Now that they could be selling this information to advertisers yeah that might be true, but please don't use terms like "legally responsible" because that's actually not the case.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The problem with that arguement is that it isn't an argument at all.

They provide a service, they are legally responsible for anything that goes on, on that service (if they don't immediately report it upon finding out about it). If you honestly think they dont make every single dime they can off of it, then you need to be a little more skeptical.

Edit: and as far as me being a conpiracy theorist, my signature is basically an explanation of what the NSA has been doing for years, can you honestly trust ANY company or government organization after that bullshit came out? They pay for the bandwidth they use, adverts take up bandwidth, hence, they pay more for having adverts on their websites, hence the ISP's make money off of adverts. It's called Transitive Property

Last thing I'm saying on the subject. Admitting that this is how they make the money is contradictory to what you said i about them getting a "kickback" and selling ad space. Selling bandwidth is how they make their money and you implied that they make it through swindling, trickery, and greed because of their lawyers. And ISP's aren't legally responsible for what you or I or anyone do on their service. The only time they become responsible is if they are served with a warrant to retrieve your history by a law enforcement agency.

Pressing "skip add" is as good as blocking it from the get go depending on the ad sense scheme the content creator uses: some of them choose a method that doesn't pays anything unless people watch the add all the way to the end.

Not sure how common that scheme is though but if you were planning on supporting anyone and still click "skip" please check with them to see if they're actually getting anything from it.

I'm just referring to the youtube ad skipping and I think they still get money from that tho. I'm not sure on that tho, maybe the CPM for skips is less, but I think they still get something

So anyone with a different opinion is a moron?  well done for being open minded.

Always the answer anyone says. Cry about it.

OqZMhY4.png

I still want to know what would happen if Youtube did this. ;] I am sure you guys would go stupid Nutz.

People like me would just go find another website, and bitch more than likely. That's my guess. Google hasn't done that cause they know they'd get bit pretty hard.

I see this thread is still going. Read the first few pages.

The word scummy was ill-chosen.

But the simple fact ramains that if everyone blocked the ads in my content Linus Tech Tips wouldn't exist. Period.

Those suggesting that I complain to Google... Do you think I can just call up Eric Schmidt and let him know I don't like the way they implement ads on YouTube? I laughed out loud.

YouTube isn't perfect but it's my best shot at running a viable business here so I can pay my employees and feed my family, so that's what I use. Those of you who opt to consume the content without supporting it, fine you're not "scummy". Come up with your own word for it ;)

THE LINUS HAS SPOKEN

person below me is a scrub

But the simple fact ramains that if everyone blocked the ads in my content Linus Tech Tips wouldn't exist. Period.

Those suggesting that I complain to Google... Do you think I can just call up Eric Schmidt and let him know I don't like the way they implement ads on YouTube? I laughed out loud.

YouTube isn't perfect but it's my best shot at running a viable business here so I can pay my employees and feed my family, so that's what I use. Those of you who opt to consume the content without supporting it, fine you're not "scummy". Come up with your own word for it ;)

My word for it is horrible.

"Self-Entitled" is what you're looking for.

i dont find scummy offensive in anyway possible, they are the sensitive persons that take it to far, just cuz someone "famous" or important like you, lets say it that why, say something like this, and they may find it "offensive" in any way, this is just stupid. i mean scummy sounds cute, how can be that bad?

PC Specs: Case Corsair Vengeance C70 - CPU i7-4770K @3.5Ghz - MOBO Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - RAM HyperX Fury 2x8GB @1600Mhz - GPU MSI VENTUS RTX 2080 SUPER - HDD Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB, WD Black 4TB - PSU EVGA 750 G2 - Display Samsung S22C150 - CPU Cooler CM 212 Hyper EVO - Mouse Steelseries Sensei 310 - Current Wattage by pcpartpicker: 387W.

Hey Linus I know you and a group of people worked for countless hours on these videos and forum but I still think these 10 seconds of an ad I watched and the mouse click to close a popup are not a fair trade off.

How dare you try to make a living off your hard work. You and the Linus Media Group should be ashamed of yourselves.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I think it's rather amusing that you complain about people using AdBlock Linus, when you use it yourself. You got called out on it during a WAN show livestream a while back and you took it off shortly afterward. I find that funny and hypocritical.

linus don't appologize, ad block users are the derps of the internet.

" I'm so pro I can work everything "

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

I think it's rather amusing that you complain about people using AdBlock Linus, when you use it yourself. You got called out on it during a WAN show livestream a while back and you took it off shortly afterward. I find that funny and hypocritical.

One of his editors installed it. He flipped out about it

I have no problem with adds integrated with content i.e. Square Space, dollar shave club etc. 

But when Google plays me some add about some bullshit product that has no meaning to me what so ever, I don't want to see it, hence I use AdBlock.

Watch the stream. I didn't even know how to remove it. It was kinda funny. I've never installed Adblock on my PC

cheap iguess lel

I have no problem with adds integrated with content i.e. Square Space, dollar shave club etc. 

But when Google plays me some add about some bullshit product that has no meaning to me what so ever, I don't want to see it, hence I use AdBlock.

^this

I would just like to point out that I do use ad block, however on here and youtube people I would like to support IE You, Tek syndicate, Austin Evans pcper, etc I have specially made an exclusion for it. the main reason I use it is the same reason  hates to do topics on tweaktowns page pesky ads that come out of nowhere. its that plain and simple. but I defiantly agree with linus on this. sometimes companies need ad's and i'm ok with that :)

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600 (4.2GHZ OC) EK-Supremacy EVO AMD RGB - Nickel+Plexi | MB:Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7

GPU EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked | Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Corsair RM850i | Boot Drive: Intel 760P 512GB | Game Storage: Intel 660P 1TB | Storage Drive: WD Blue 4TB | Logitech G810 | Logitech G502 (Proteus core) | Pioneer VSX-520K+ 4x Wharfedale Crystal 40 Standing Speakers 150W 4ohm | Logitech G933

It's the internet, people. We need to simply accept the fact that it could be better, that neither "side" is "right."  Linus isnt perfect and can't always say the right thing. This is his life so of course he is a bit biased. He is allowed to share his opinion like everyone else.
use your own damn judgement with the frigging adblock, and share your opinion on the forum or w/e like you are now.
Linus is allowed to share his opinion just like all you guys in front of me, and none of you are going to care if someone on the forum calls u scum. at least u shouldn't that much.
I'm sure Linus would rather you watch his vids with adblock than not at all, and if you feel like supporting him, WHITELIST  him.
Stealing content isn't all that cool, especially when it's within price range. If you can't afford it, that is SLIGHTLY different.

I personally like that all i have to do is watch a quick ad to support content creators i like.
Ad block, as someone said, is a two edged sword. It is a great defensive tool, but it is powerful enough to do unwanted damage. This is why we are having this debate.
You have the power to decide what you do with the power, and whether or not you are "scum". use your own moral compass and figure it out. Linus does not decide who is scum and who is not. Everyone has their own reasons and if u let this get to you then you have not done enough thinking.
The bottom line is the system is flawed and now we are all attacking each other b/c of it.
good job.
I know that's not all of you literally.
if you took the time to read this.
thanks, have a great day.

P.s. I am scum. I use adblock.  Have yet to whitelist Linus b/c im a lazy impatient asshole. Right now I am more concerned with the fact that I might have cancer. Color me not mad.
You wanna really stick it to linus? keep stealing his content.

I think non apologies are worst than ignoring the issue. If your stand remains unchanged then don't go back on your choice of colorful language, we scumbags do not take it personal :)

-------

Current Rig

-------

I use adblock but I have contributed in the past to LTT through direct donations and things. I know it's not perfect but donations are the only honest gesture you can make if you don't want to put up with the ads. This is the case for a lot of people, I'm sure. I don't think that people like that should be thought of worse for it. And I think direct donations are a far more heartfelt way of supporting anyways. 

He who dies with the most tools wins.

they are scummy.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)