Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

Damn dude, some people get really vicious about this kind of stuff. Real mature...

Cute, but television ads are paid for by companies to television networks, content creators don't see any of that money.  Bones doesn't get any revenue because I watch an ad during their show.

Sure they can use it if they want, how they apply that use is what makes them scummy or not.

Hey bro do you mute the tv during a commercial? You are a scumbag. Thats how those people make money to survive. Shame on you..........bahahahaha what a stupid argument. You know how I survive? I have a real job and it doesn't involve spamming people with products. Who gives a shit if people adblock....... Edit: I dont use adblocker but I think people have the right to use it if they want. If his only reason for doing the show is money then so be it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Honestly, I would prefer if they made a law, that all advertisements must be either silent, or play classical music, with a black background with white text. Anything else would be illegal.

It would be cheap, quick, and unlike modern adverts, NOT FUCKING ANNOYING.

Sorry, I just really hate commercials lately because it seems like they think the more annoying the commercial the more successful it will be.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Maybe, but every time someone posts information pertaining to youtube revenue there are a million questions about it's reliability/accuracy.   I would bet it's significant, but wouldn't like to say whether it is higher or not.

I would assert that 90% of the "statistics" of advertising are bullshit made up by people trying to justify their existence, or the existence of their job.

Everyone hates commercials, everyone, sure there might be one every once in a while that's funny, but even still, EVERYONE hates commercials.

I use Ghostery. :P

Ghostery + ABP = Amazing Web.

And yes i use adblock.

I am a happy wuffy

I agree.

The exception list AdBlock Plus has (which by the way is not something you pay to be added to, you get added by following some good guide lines) does a really good job of allowing GOOD ads and blocking bad ads. If everyone was following their guide lines I wouldn't use AdBlock.

If everyone was following that I wouldn't really have a problem with the ads. Their guidelines for ads are pretty much exactly what I want from ads.

Ads like you are describing don't happen either on the LTT forums or on youtube,  I have never had a wan show archive interrupted with a youtube ad.   Fine if you want to block sites that grey out and show ads every 5 seconds, personal I don't give those sites any traffic to begin with, but to use the ads on other sites as an excuse to use adblock on LTT is irrational in my mind.

To block ads on youtube I have to block everybody, I can't just unblock one person. I do more on youtube than watch Linus, and it's a problem on almost every channel.

I'm done debating this with morons, i'm blocking ads until the problem is fixed. I know the problem won't likely be fixed, so Linus and others can enjoy less money. Do I like that? No not really. But it isn't my fault they aren't trying to fix the problem the right way.

So yea. Ads, blocked. Everywhere. Period.

I use it. IDC.

Seriously, what if I never clicked an ad?

even if you never click an ad it doesnt mean the website isnt going to get paid.

not everyone calls the 1800 number on info commercials but the point is that millions of eyeballs saw it

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I don't watch ads either so...

again, even if you skip them the content creator is still making money off the ad, they make more if you click it/watch it all though

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

F that, don't care, I am not a pirate for doing THAT.

I am not giving my free time to ads.

I have it off here, but not on youtube.

Here, they don't bother me, but on youtube, I have to wait for an ad to play.

No ty.

The real complaint is youtube video ads.

How do people not understand that ads are how most websites make money. Without ads, most websites would have a subscription fee or cease to exist. Without ads, the internet would be a completely different beast, unrecognizable compared to what we have today. Adblock is a step in the wrong direction for the internet as a whole.

I would assert that 90% of the "statistics" of advertising are bullshit made up by people trying to justify their existence, or the existence of their job.

Everyone hates commercials, everyone, sure there might be one every once in a while that's funny, but even still, EVERYONE hates commercials.

I do not.

I do not.

Majority then.

I do not.

Then your one of three things,

1. Someone who makes commercials, in which case please stop. and how do you look at yourself in the morning without puking

2. Someone who makes content in which case sorry bro. but most of the world hates adverts

3. Or your outright lying.

2 of the three of those are not acceptable reasons. Advertising does not work, at least not to the extent they think it does. You want proof that advertising doesn't mean a fucking thing? We've essentially lost Net Neutrality, so great, the whole damn thing is basically fucked. If advertising worked to the extent in which people are pretending it does, we wouldn't have that problem because the ISP's would be making buku money off of all the advertising space they provide (which they are to begin with)

OqZMhY4.png

I still want to know what would happen if Youtube did this. ;] I am sure you guys would go stupid Nutz.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Then your one of three things,

1. Someone who makes commercials, in which case please stop. and how do you look at yourself in the morning without puking

2. Someone who makes content in which case sorry bro. but most of the world hates adverts

3. Or your outright lying.

2 of the three of those are not acceptable reasons. Advertising does not work, at least not to the extent they think it does. You want proof that advertising doesn't mean a fucking thing? We've essentially lost Net Neutrality, so great, the whole damn thing is basically fucked. If advertising worked to the extent in which people are pretending it does, we wouldn't have that problem because the ISP's would be making buku money off of all the advertising space they provide (which they are to begin with)

No, no, and no. I'm a university student with a student job and internship in a company that isn't in marketing. Ads legitimately do not bug me. I don't give a shit if I have to watch 5 seconds of an advertisement before I watch a 10 minute video. I don't give a shit that there is an ad at the bottom of this page for an online public school. ISP's don't get the ad money from a website unless it is their website. LMG gets the money from the ads on this website, not the ISP that the host uses. You're confused.

I'm done debating this with morons,

So anyone with a different opinion is a moron?  well done for being open minded.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Most people do not like commercials true, however most people acknowledge they pay for content that we would otherwise have to pay for.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

sooooo some one with an oppinion is unwanted??

No. Someone being a dick with their opinion is not wanted.

I should be studying.

I don't agree with Linus on this one. AdBlock is like a condom, you need it for safe and enjoyable web browsing. One should always have it and not using it should be the exception made by user's content. You can take that condom off if you love the site and would like to support them. I go into Linustechtips and it's Youtube page raw but I don't go to a random website that I don't know without protection because that shit's nasty yo.

I don't make my living off of Youtube but even if I was, I wouldn't ever call out people for using Adblock and try to shame them. Having more viewers is always good even if they don't watch the ads and Linus should know this.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I think it's time I put my thoughts in this thread.

I use AdBlock sometimes, but I'm beginning to want to use it on this forum because of how stupid the ads are. Seriously. 80% of the ads I see on here is shit like "There are single women in your area" and countless advertisements for dating websites. I don't want these fucking scummy piece-of-shit ads. I wish they would go, they really do degrade my experience on this forum.

But, of course, Linus can't choose what ads appear on the forum. If it was tech-related advertisements, from Intel and Corsair, etc...I'd be happy. It's targeted at me, and that's all that matters.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I don't agree with Linus on this one. AdBlock is like a condom, you need it for safe and enjoyable web browsing. One should always have it and not using it should be the exception. You can take that condom off if you love the site and would like to support them. I go into Linustechtips and it's Youtube page raw but I don't go to a random website that I don't know without protection because that shit's nasty yo.

I don't make my living off of Youtube but even if I was, I wouldn't ever call out people for using Adblock and try to shame them. Having more viewers is always good even if they don't watch the ads and Linus should know this.

Indeed a dick move by Linus himself, we still give him views and likes and shares, and we have it off on this website, besides, Linus has his ads in the video, which is good. I support ads in the videos themselves.

Brb, getting a shield for the flamers who will call me a pirate and scum and the worst being in the world.  :ph34r:

Well Linus is obviously biased, and in my opinion wrong on the subject. I white list linustechtips.com because he does a good job at keeping his ads here unobtrusive and out of the way, and if that was the case everywhere I wouldn't need adblock, however this is the exception and not the rule.

But I don't blame him for taking a personal and selfish stand on the matter, after all if somebody came to tell you "You know what? You're cool but your job is stupid: it's unnecessary and it shouldn't exist" you would take offense and try to convince people your job serves a valid purpose, even if deep down you know you basically annoy and inconvenience people for a living.

-------

Current Rig

-------